Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report, Part 1 (days 1 & 2)

User Info Menu

Trip Report, Part 1 (days 1 & 2)

Long winded, I apologize. I just couldn't bring myself to leave anything out. In part 1: Xtabi, One Love Bus, Push Cart, Just Natural, Snorkeling with Famous Vincent, 3 Dives

Day 1: Tuesday
    We stepped out of MBJ and into the heat of the Montego Bay sunshine. Ashton (Pitt) was waiting there. He gave me a hug (not my first time using him) , then promptly told me he had a client emergency that he had to deal with, but he had another great driver ready to take us to our hotel. No problem mon. He introduced us to George, who loaded our luggage into his trunk, hopped in, handed us a couple of Red Stripes and we were on our way. On the drive it began to rain. What is it about Jamaica, and Negril specifically, that puts me so much at ease? Afternoon rain? No problem. Sunshine soon come. We stopped at the cambio to get some JMB, and at the grocery to get some beer and water (also took a pee break – a couple few Red Stripes will get ya every time), and we were back on the road. By the time we reached Xtabi the sun had come back out to play. Check in went pretty smooth, was feeling a little nickel and dimed with all the little extras you must pay for (AC, Safe Key deposit) – but again, no problem. We quickly learned the pool was out. Something happened to it and they had to drain and repair. Not the best news, but we were on the cliff side, so really, for us – no problem. Devon helped us with our bags and showed us our cottage. We stayed in 3. We were very satisfied. Basic, really, but that view… and that SHOWER… Devon told us our TripAdvisor friends were right next door and had told him to be on the lookout for us. Pretty cool. Unpacked, headed to the bar. A couple walks in. She looks at me inquisitively – “Are you Rebecca by chance?” Well hello Danny and Jill – so nice to finally meet you after so many TripAdvisor conversations. We sat on the deck and drank some Red Stripes with our new friends, then had dinner with them right there in the restaurant. I don’t remember what I had. I think that means it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t particularly memorable. My husband and Danny and Jill had the fried chicken and they were really fans of it. I needed shade by that time. I was burning up… in NOVEMBER  The evening flew and we grew tired early after so many hours of travel. About 8:30p we excused ourselves and headed to bed. Slept like a baby.

Day 2: Wednesday
    I struggle to sleep in on vacation. I always get this nagging feeling that I’m wasting precious time. So, UP at the first sign of light. Sat on my beautiful deck and Facebook messaged my kiddos to touch base. Then over to breakfast. We ate at Xtabi again. Had the omelet with local fresh veggies. It served its purpose -- satisfied my hunger. Not great, but it was something. Then come Danny and Jill. They are jumping off the cliffs right off the bat in the morning. I was surprised my husband hadn’t yet done it. I expected to have to nag him… “that one’s too high” or “not when you’ve been drinking” – but so far, nothing. We spent the morning on the cliffs by the bar/restaurant, just relaxing. Then the rain…. A ton of it all at once for 20 minutes, then the sun… It’s 2:15, Lenbert is supposed to pick all four of us up for the One Love Pub Crawl at 3. Finish beer, head back to room to clean ourselves up. Lenbert was early. 2:55 we can see the bus waiting across the street and we are hot footing it “Lenbert don’t leave us!” NOBODY is early in Negril!! Lenbert assures us he wasn’t going to leave us. He’s such a great guy. Danny and Jill are already on the bus. Even when I’m early, I’m late.  The pub crawl was amazing, as usual. 6 stops, Bella Donna’s pizza that I had been dreaming about since the last time I had it, and back to Xtabi. Everyone is feeling pretty good now, the sun is gone but it’s still early. We take a taxi to the beach. We should have just called it a night. Nothing much going on down there. Maybe due to low season. Husband was a little too intoxicated. Had a hustler on a moped stop and start working an angle that I was unclear about, but when I told him we didn’t have time to talk, he told me “You don’t like black people”. Huh. Well then is pretty stupid of me to come to Jamaica. Goodnight fella. Some more wasted time trying to find something to do, a little bickering with the husband over his not really being as cautious with strangers as I’d like (again, too many Red Stripes). Then back to the hotel. Danny and Jill said they could hear me yelling at hubs as they walked by the cottage. Sorry! Or, you’re welcome, if it was entertaining…

User Info Menu

Re: Trip Report, Part 1 (days 1 & 2)

Great start, love Xtabi and your report! Lenbert and the Pub Crawl are fun too!!

User Info Menu

I am loving your report already.

User Info Menu

great start.
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool

User Info Menu

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

We had the same impression about the Xtabi restaurant - good, but not great. Lots of other excellent options on the West End to try, at more reasonable prices.

User Info Menu

thanks for putting the time in for a report!

hey, I think I know that scooter guy! Hahaha but really I wonder if at night theyre really even going anywhere... Seems like theyre just driving up n down the road looking for targets (white n tipsy fits the bill). Yeah I don't see anything good coming from having any interaction with the guy on the scooter who stops at night just to chat with you... keep on moving on!

User Info Menu

Thanks for letting us tag along!

User Info Menu

Wait! Did you say the pool is OUT at Xtabi?? We are arriving next weekend, please tell me they got it fixed.
    [/image.php?code=0XT1330613XXX14th reach. soon come[/img][/url]

User Info Menu

The pool was not fixed by the time we left. I had found a really great deal on our cottage through a 3rd party, and I wasn't too worried about the pool. If we had paid full price or had stayed on the garden side it might have been an issue for us. I would shoot them an email and ask. If it's a deal breaker, maybe they'll let you out of the reservation. I heard no-so-good things about their customer service before arriving, but we actually found their customer service pretty good.

User Info Menu

Canadageorge - we are booked into xtabi dec 3 so the pool being closed was a concern to me also.
    I just received a reply to my email and thankfully the pool is open now!!

Thanks Rebecca for the report - think your going to love love love the beach!
    Looking forward to reading more ....
    https://www.tickerfactory.com]