Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Use mosqito spray in all warm climates!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Use mosqito spray in all warm climates!

As the people in the northern latitudes escape the cold aiming at warmer climates, the usual dengue, now common chick-v are known viruses transferred by mosquitoes. But this year there is a new threat, the Zika virus that went epidemic in Brazil last year has now been detected in Hawaii, Florida and British Columbia. While Jamaica has not had a confirmed case of the "Zik V" mainly due to the governments early actions after the outbreak in Brazil last year, we felt it is the responsible thing to do and remind everyone to use mosquito repellent when visiting or living in warmer climates.

The Zika virus can have flu like symptoms (fever, aches, sinus pain) to no symptoms at all. And while it is not very much of a bother to those who get it, it can be extremely dangerous for pregnant women. Babies born from women who have contracted Zik V can develop fetal microcephaly or intracranial calcifications, both of which can be fatal to the baby. A baby was born in Hawaii last week with microcephaly. This has become an outbreak in Brazil to the point the government is urging women not to become pregnant until the outbreak is over.

Since this virus is harmful to the most innocent of all, we urge everyone who is visiting or living in a mosquito friendly environment to help protect the babies and use mosquito repellent for their sake. Thank you for heeding this message.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Use mosqito spray in all warm climates!

If a female gets bit does the virus remain in her and shouldn't have children ever again??

Administrator

User Info Menu

Good question! The quick answer is yes, she can have babies in future (even as soon as a week after being infected). According to the CDC:

If a woman who is not pregnant is bitten by a mosquito and infected with Zika virus, will her future pregnancies be at risk?

We do not know the risk to the baby if a woman is infected with Zika virus while she is pregnant. However, Zika virus infection does not pose a risk of birth defects for future pregnancies. Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for only a few days to a week. The virus will not cause infections in a baby that is conceived after the virus is cleared from the blood.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Sweet thanks rob

User Info Menu

deja vue ??

THANKs, Rob.!!!

been away from the board,
    and whereas I'm about to make my Winter-trip
    I was gonna post a query about the *latest* status of Zika-virus

me nervous & afraid
    :-(
    'cause JUST-TODAY
    i heard a PBS-radio station discussion about this wicked virus

dem-SAY:::>>> Jamaica IS on the ''''be care-full''' list

the program had experts in the field,
    including the head of USofA National Institute of Health
    .....the guy who was in-charge of manage-ing the Ebola stuff

me nervous 'cause the *latest* info (per the program experts) is that this Zika-virus is MUCH MUCH more of a concern than what you (Rob) posted

the experts where trying to be *cool* as they discussed and advised, but you could *hear* the fear & dred in their voices

nevertheless,
    me 'fraid::::::: 'cause the *latest* info that me/we/us-MEN need to be *concerned* TOO....!!!!....

BECAUSE:::>>>> the latest science has revealed indications that if me ---- a male ---- get's bit & infected, then i can carry the virus, and subsequently transmit the virus to another man or woman in my ejaculant (aka my seamen) [[ sp??]]

:-(

again, nevetheless,
    does any-any-body KNOW what the latest statistics of '''REPORT-ed'' cases of Zika is/are in Jamaica, by parish

additionally, I'd loooooove to *hear* any anticdotal reports, too
    ....frequently the rumor mill is accurate, with some things

i know/read where Rob said '''no-problem''', but that January 21 ..... me wanna know what the numbers are today, 'cause dem expert folks on that PBS-radio show said I/me (a man) should be concerned

ergo.....traveler beware

i need dem statistics quick .... my Winter trip is just around the corner ..... within next 2 or 3 weeks
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

oh
    oh
    oh:::::>>> one-more thing-y::::>>>> Zika IS come-ing to the good 'ole USofA, but a dem-SAY:::>>> as Rob titled this thread:::>>> the ''warm climates''' ... e.g.., Florida, Texas, etc
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Hey Smith,

If you hang around DC this summer you got the same chance. Especially in your business.

Ya rolls the dice and ya takes your chances.....

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

seen, CaptainD

me unna-stand your *point*

BUT, Zika AIN'T here yet

dem experts-SAY:::>>> beware in the Caribbean [[ full-stop ]]]

me know how the *game* is played....
    ...this early-chat 'bout Zika is phase-#1, to prep the public for the drama that's just over the horizon ..... Trus-me...!!..

I STILL need dem latest-statistics...!!!!...

official AND rumors

p.s... dem had a NICE program on Zika on cable-tv Aljezerra (sp??_) America
    * sigh *
    love that station
    gonna miss it when it gone
    be hapPpy

User Info Menu

Smith...we haven't heard of any reported Zik V cases here.

From what I've been reading...there were a couple of cases a few years ago in Tahiti (I can't remember the other country name) where the people had claimed it may be transmitted sexually, but the WHO is still saying there is insufficient evidence.

User Info Menu

Must be smart and spray and pregnant women shouldn't risk being around it but it will be in the US very soon. Dozens of states have the mosquitoes that will be carriers of the virus. Just two weeks away and two cans of Deet packed. Also great idea to carry a couple of packs of Off wipes with you at all times. Perfect when you forget to spray or when you find yourself on the sand at sunset and the sand fleas come out!!