Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

User Info Menu

Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

We have been back from Jamaica for 2 weeks now. We had a great time as usual. ...BUT, just checked our bank balance on this snowy day. Yesterday and today, someone hacked our account with our debit card in Lucea...Texas...and again in JA...for over 1300.00 US. This has never happened to us before. We each have a debit card and I never used mine while in JA...my husband used his (even though they both are on the same account). It was his card number that was used on ALL of the withdrawals.

Obviously, I am not blaming Jamaica as this can occur anywhere. I am just reminding everyone to check daily upon return for one never knows. Thank Jah, that we were able to get in touch with the bank today before it closed early due to the severe snow storm that has hit. They are putting the funds back in our account. Obviously, we are happy about that...but what a pain in the ass! I was explaining to the gentleman at our bank that all of the ATM's we used were private and locked..which he was not aware of. The card was always locked up and never used anywhere except ATM's.

Again, I know this can happen anywhere in the world....I am only posting this to raise awareness upon return regarding your account. Blessings.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Re: Be sure and check your bank balance daily upon return!!

Yeah that happened to me after returning from Jamaica.. But the bank called me and it was easily fixed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 541lion View Post
    Yeah that happened to me after returning from Jamaica.. But the bank called me and it was easily fixed
    Maybe I just lucked out today when I checked the account. I sure hope they would have notified me since they had the dates that we were gone on record. But, the first withdrawal was yesterday with another 2 today...however, I can only imagine how much more they could have taken out if it weren't caught today. I am thankful that it was all dealt with today....10 minutes before the bank closed until Monday.

User Info Menu

I use only the Scotia ATM when travelling, the only reason I have a Scotia account is because they have ATMs all over the caribbean and Mexico. It is set up to only allow a set amount of withdrawal per day. I don't use "private" ATMs anywhere, home or away.
    Not saying I won't get burned this way but at least I am doing my best to prevent it.
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Oddly enough, 2 of the withdrawals were listed as Nova Scotia Bank. Who knows, sadly it is just the digital world we live in now. One was listed in Lucea. This was our first time NOT having Travelers Checks. I know that many folks think TC's are a hassle but we old F---ers...really liked having them. This year, there were NO banks in our city that carried them anymore. We never had any trouble cashing them. I wish they were still available for us locally. As my dad always said, "nothing as inevitable as change"....but it doesn't mean we have to like it. LOL

Our local bank also has a set amount of withdrawal. I guess that is why 2 were on yesterday, with a larger withdrawal this morning.

User Info Menu

I had a hard time to even pay for my hotel deposit because my bank kept 'flagging' it..........I need to thank them for that.....Last year they flagged my account too since I had made a purchase in KC, then used ATM in Atlanta and the hotel in Jamaica in the afternoon. My bank was "right on it" and called me several times to make sure they were legit...

User Info Menu

I wish us Yanks could open Scotia Bank accounts. It would make the whole money thing easier. Sadly you must be a Canadian citizen.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    I wish us Yanks could open Scotia Bank accounts. It would make the whole money thing easier. Sadly you must be a Canadian citizen.
    You can open a Scotia account as an American citizen.

User Info Menu

I have pertinent information about the ATM billing issue.

As soon as I speak with Yetta personally I will post

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Hmmm, I returned with a similar issue. Used ATM twice at downtown Scotia. Switched to ATM by Valuemaster because of the fees. Used it Jan 4 and 5 at Valuemaster but when I got back there were 3 on the Jan 4 and one on Jan 5. 2 on the 4th had the exact same transaction number. One of those was before my receipt and one after even with same transaction. Both bogus transactions used Jan 5th JMD to USD conversion rate instead of the 4th. One of the bogus was credited back a few days later. Still waiting on the other one.