Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Blue Cave Castle

User Info Menu

Re: Blue Cave Castle

There are many products available out on the Internet that are a Reservation Management/Room Inventory and Billing package. We have been using one here for a few years that is FREE and quite easy to manage. In this day and age you don't have to keep reinventing the wheel every time you want to do something that someone else already does. Any Web Site can add a "Book Now" button and redirect reservation seekers on to an active inventory management site that will handle the whole process no matter where you are in the world.

We use http://www.freetobook.com but there are many, many others.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    What Bnewb said.

Basically, Anthony found that the Gardenia Resort had a cr@ppy (if not nonexistent) web presence. He then went to Rob who offered to build them a website, host it and advertise them for free on Negril.com.

I don't know if you can stream the whole episode, but there are many clips available on the Hotel Impossible website.
    Cool. I'll have to check that out.
    Yes, Rob's commitment to Negril seems second to none compared to anything I've come across. But we all know this already.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNYC View Post
    maybe updated with something to the effect of:

"Notice:
    It is my intention to
    update this website
    at the next session
    of HTML"
    Good one! Love it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Kevin...I understand your frustration, but if you listen very carefully to the show 'Hotel Impossible' while they were in Negril...they actually address the issues that frustrate you...but you really have to listen carefully.

Not really a frustrating issue for me other than the lost potential I see.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin, PA View Post
    Not really a frustrating issue for me other than the lost potential I see.
    Agree with ya brother. I hate seeing seeing small resort suffering or abandoned. seeing the mega resorts taken over. But hey it brings more jobs for Jamaicans and more tourist coming in to Negril.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin, PA View Post
    Marketing, advertising and general communications seems to be lost on many of the business owners in Negril. I see so many places, especially on the west end, that could benefit from some additional signage and some well maintained social media\web sites. In the tourism industry, your web presence is the first impression most potential customers are going to get about your business. Next they need to be able to find the business once they are there. It seems as if many businesses have the impression that customers "just happen".
    Kevin,

This a rather complex issue that I have been dealing with since I came up with the idea for Negril.com back in 1993. There are many reasons that contribute to your impression, which is pretty much on the mark. I have watched businesses come and go, others succeed over the years.

Other than the long, established places, many of the businesses in Negril are now owned and operated by those raised by their parents and grandparents in the tourism industry. Back in the early years, most businesses simply put up a sign and that was their entire marketing effort. There was not much competition so they didnt need to worry about marketing or advertising. The Chamber's Negril Guide was the only marketing vehicle for years for those already visiting in Negril. There was no international advertising available. So this early mindset did not really start to change until well into the 1990's.

The new business owners still remember how their parents and grandparents conducted business, but quickly realize that putting up a sign is just the beginning of their marketing efforts. For the most part, since they generally are in their 30 to 50's, most had no experience with computers in school. Schools did not begin to have computers until the early 2000's. So email and the Internet are not their strong suits.

Since I started Negril.com back in 1995, things began to slowly change. There was now a way to advertise to those who had not visited Negril yet. But the lack of computer and internet experience gave rise to new issues. People with good intentions as well as pure charlatans took advantage of this lack of knowledge.

In an online interview on another Jamaica website, when I was asked. "What really irks you though Rob?", I replied:

"Although this has been an absolutely wonderful past 16 years, probably the main thing that irks me are the people who make outrageous claims about their websites. These fly by night websites can often look fancy on the front pages, and many try to take credit or claim for what Negril.com has done. They make unrealistic promises to the businesses in Negril and often charge outlandish fees for these promises. Then, after these sites don't deliver, I am left here to try and repair the damage done, not only to the businesses but also to Negril.com."

It has seemed since 1995 that every couple years, another person comes to Negril and makes websites for businesses with no help or instructions for additional marketing. Having a website does not promise that anyone will see it. And some of the people over the years have been "cyber squatters", who set up the site, then ask an outrageous fee should the business want to have someone else work on the site. I have assisted more businesses than I can count getting their sites back as there are now many qualified web designers in the area.

Today, I received a call from a tour operator who had a "friend" in foreign set them up a website for "free", in exchange for free transportation when they arrive to the island. After two years, they have not received any business from their website. It was next to invisible on the search engines. If you dont have the exact website name, it doesnt seem to appear at all. He recently told his friend that he no longer wants to deal with the free transportation and today his friend has removed the site and replaced it with the "Under Construction" page. We will be getting him back up and running with a marketable website in the next few weeks, one way or another.

The above issue also has been happening with other people who promise to set up a Facebook page for free in exchange for a free stay, meals, transportation, etc. As anyone on Facebook knows, if you dont already know the business by name, finding it by chance is just that, a chance. I see some business owners so caught up with updating their Facebook page that specials or deals they are offering is only known by those who happen to follow their Facebook page. They spend hours a day on Facebook, and the return on the time invested is next to nothing. For instance, a hotel in Negril with about 2800 "Likes" or followers on Facebook has had an average of 1.3 people per day see their posts. Less than 2 out of 2800 is a very low percentage, bordering on zero.

The "Fun Holiday" thread posted just about 2 hours ago already has over 70 views. And that is in less than 2 hours! Facebook is great to keep in touch with your friends, but as a business marketing model it leaves much to be desired. It really only can benefit those who already know your business, not in attracting new business. So, although hopefully done with the best of intentions, a "free" Facebook page is worth about that much.

I know this sounds like shameless self promotion, but teaching true marketing is something that Negril.com has been doing since the beginning. Unfortunately, the lure of getting something for "free" is quite enticing. And there are so many people who visit Negril and make offers such as the above that it is hard not to accept them. I am sure some of you have seen the multiple websites and Facebook pages for some businesses and may wonder why a business would do that. Now you know how that can happen.

I wish things were different, but those are just a few of the issues that has contributed to your accurate take on the matter.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

As someone who doesn't use Facebook regularly, I agree that it isn't well suited for marketing. It's inexpensive, but that's all it has going for it. If I have to go to Facebook to ascertain the info I'm seeking, I'm more likely to just go to a competitor with a proper website.