Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First non AI trip coming up! A few questions..

User Info Menu

First non AI trip coming up! A few questions..

Hey everyone,

In a few weeks the wife and I will be taking our second trip to Negril. Our first trip was our honeymoon where we stayed at couples swept away in August of 2013. We instantly fell in love with Jamaica. Obviously we didn't see a lot... as we felt like we were "strongly encouraged" to stay within the resort walls (except for a few excursions). This is something we kind of kicked our self for, looking back on when we returned. I'll admit, we don't travel a lot outside of the US and did feel a bit intimidated.. probably part of the reason why we just stayed in the resort. I can say everything we did experience (from a Jamaican newbie perspective) was great, even though it was wasn't a true Negril experience.

So in a few weeks we will be experiencing the real Negril, and couldn't be more excited. We are staying at Nirvana, and would love to hear any advice or tips from you experts.

A few questions:
    Nirvana said they will set us up with transportation to and from the airport. They also said they have drivers that can take us to any bar/restaurant, etc we'd want to go to. However, I've been reading on the boards here that some drivers will provide a cell phone that you can use to call them at anytime. I kind of prefer that. Does anyone here have experience with the Nirvana drivers? Would it be insulting to go with another driver who provides a cell phone? Sure, it's easy enough to arrange a ride from the hotel to a location, but my concern is how do we get back? Especially if it's late and we've had a few? (I do plan on calling nirvana and asking this question, but I wanted some input from you guys).

Where is the closest/safest ATM?

Can anyone recommend nearby bars, restaurants, roadside food vendors that are near (10 min walk from) Nirvana?

Should we stop for supplies in Montego Bay or Negril?

Who are the best beach food vendors?

We arrive on a Saturday morning and leave on a Sunday Morning. I'm thinking about doing Club Mobay when we leave, but not sure if we should do it upon arrival... thoughts?

Besides the usual, "bring more money then clothes, use cash, leave the bling at home, bring bug spray, and bring a collapsible cooler" is there anything (not obvious for a beach trip) that we should bring or be aware of? Are shorts/tshirt/sandals acceptable wear for all the restaurants? Are rayban sun glasses too much bling?

Sorry if any of these questions seem stupid or have already been asked and answered elsewhere. I appreciate everyone's time. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: First non AI trip coming up! A few questions..

I see saeyedoc to the rescue on this thread. He KNOWS Nirvana!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Question 1: Nirvana drivers... We've never used the drivers from the places we've stayed. We call Linston. Is it insulting to the 'hotel' drivers? I don't know. We love Linston.
    Question 2: Nearest/safest ATM - we've always used Times Square but I defer to others who have more (recent) experience than I.
    Question 3: Tons of places near Nirvana to eat and drink and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses on that one. We go to Marshall (Step-A-Side) quite frequently. Bourbon Beach, Tony's Hut for drinks, Allan at the Tree House for jerk chicken/pork right on the beach.
    Question 4: Supplies - we've always stopped at Sunshine Plaza in Negril - no particular reason, just because.
    Question 5: There are a ton of great beach food vendors - Patrick the lobster guy comes to mind immediately - he'll (generally) be wearing a white shirt with lobsters all over it.
    Question 6: You'll get mixed reviews on this one. We use it and love it! It's superfast, particularly when arriving on a Saturday. Last year our flight home was delayed for hours and it was terrific to be able to sit in the lounge and eat and drink.
    Question 7: I wear my Oakleys - I'm aware that they might not make it home but it's a chance I take. And yes on the shorts/t-shirts/sandals question. I would strongly recommend bug spray but look forward to seeing what others have to say about what to bring.

Enjoy your trip!
    Don't waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    Are shorts/tshirt/sandals acceptable wear for all the restaurants?
    Outside of the AI's, this is standard restaurant wear. When eating dinner at a nicer establishment (like Ivan's or Le Vendome), I usually throw on a collared polo shirt. However, you will never catch me wearing shoes or long pants in Negril. After all, it is the Capital of Casual.

As far as drivers go, don't feel bad about not using the ones affiliated with the resort. They understand that many people have their favorite drivers and will make their own arrangements. Plus, you will usually get a better rate using any of the drivers on the "TRANSPORT" link at the top of this page. I can personally recommend Linston, who will provide you with a cell phone. I have also used Michael's On Time Taxi, and he is very good.

User Info Menu

Are you staying in a unit with a kitchen and cook service? If so, we like to stock up and have them cook us breakfast. We like to get supplies on the way in so we have what we need for the first few days. Either MegaMart in Montego Bay, or last time just stopped in Lucea.
    We've used Leon a few times, he's one of their drivers. Nice enough guy, a little more expensive than some of the independent drivers. We've used Ashton Pitt our last few trips. Leon did question why we didn't use him, we just told him Ashton was cheaper and he let it go. For short trips, usually one of the guys is hanging by the front, I'll use make them a reasonable offer and they will usually take it. If not, it's easy enough to find a taxi on the road. I've never had a problem getting a ride back from somewhere.
    For us, we usually grab lunch from one of the vendors, jerk pork, patties, etc. There is usually a jerk guy set up across the street as well. Rainbow Arch two doors down is also good.
    We've done Club Mobay a few times, I think it's worth it to guarantee you won't be waiting in line for an hour or two, but it's a gamble.
    For dinner, we prefer restaurants on the West End and it gives us something to do for the evening. LTU, Ivan's, 3 Dives to name a few.
    The ATM at Time Square usually works, it's walkable. There is a cambio right there too at the entrance to Bourbon Beach.

User Info Menu

If you're leaving in a few weeks Club Mobay might already be booked for the days you travel, they were for me when I checked last week (we arrive on Saturday 2/27 and leave the following Sunday)

User Info Menu

if you tend to take your glasses on and off, consider magnetic eyeglass holders, here's a cute option: http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.H2039...2867_pkw__pmt_

Sometimes see them at hardware store checkout counters.

User Info Menu

i will second using linston . . . loved my trip with him . . . will use him again in march . . .

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies! For those of you who use Linston (or another driver off the transport page), do you contact him before your trip?

As far as grabbing a taxi without planning ahead, you just walk to the road and flag down a car with a red plate, correct? Is it as easy as walking out of an establishment at night and flagging down a red plate in the same manner? I know, it's important to negotiate a price before you get in the car...

What do you usually tip for a cab?

What about tipping for a red stripe at a bar? Is it the standard $1 a drink (what would you tip in JA$)?

We got one of the smaller rooms, so no kitchen. We were told though that sometimes the ladies will make exceptions and cook a few meals for you for at a fair price/tip.
    Last edited by zeppman; 02-09-2016 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

linston@redplate-negril.com try to get a hold of Linston asap. Red plate is a MUST!! Tip for Red stripe a dollar is fair. I would try to stick with one driver. IMO
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]