Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Red tag rates

User Info Menu

Red tag rates

What's the going taxi rates right now? Cliffs to round about?

User Info Menu

Re: Red tag rates

Route taxi is 130j, or was in April.

User Info Menu

We've paid $10 for trips from Catcha to the roundabout, and Catcha to Three Dives. I thought that was high, but maybe not?

User Info Menu

Just so this is clear, "red tag" cabs are the licensed and insured cabs.

Some (most?) of them operate as route cabs, which are like buses in the US - they have specific routes, they will pick you up along their route and drop you off along their route. Route cabs have their route on the fender.

Others are charter cabs, what we would just call taxis in the US - they pick you up where you are and take you where you want to go. There are no set fees, you just need to negotiate before getting into the cab. $5. US/person from mid-beach to mid-cliffs is fairly standard.

Any route cab is free to leave his route and operate as a charter cab. Just make sure it has a red license plate, and negotiate the price before you get in. If you stand beside the street during the day, in about 30 seconds a route cab will roll by and beep at you to see whether you want a ride. Once you're in, he may well ask you where you're going and offer to take you directly there. This is not him just being friendly, because he's going to want more money when you get there - maybe $10./person. (This is true even if you tell him you want to go to the grocery store that's only 100 feet from the cab stand that's the end of his route. He left the route for you, so it's now a charter.) So never say yes before agreeing on the price. If I'm just planning to pay the route cab fare (plus a tip, which I always give), I ask "Route cab?" before getting in.

Cab prices and dealings were recently discussed in the thread http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...-around-Negril.
    Last edited by wrtiii; 02-12-2016 at 12:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jan24 View Post
    What's the going taxi rates right now? Cliffs to round about?
    When you say "cliffs" to roundabout, you are talking about a wide ranging area. "Cliffs" where? I you are only a short way out then maybe about $5 US for a charter taxi might be appropriate but further out $10 might be appropriate. So it does depend on the location on the "cliffs".

Route Taxis do have fixed rates. Here is a link for what I believe to be an older fare listing but when prices go up in Jamaica, they rarely go up more than $25 Jamaican dollars or so. http://www.ta.org.jm/documents/Fares...stmoreland.pdf As a rule of thumb, you can take a Route Taxi almost anywhere in Jamaica from point A to B for $250 Jamaican or less.

Ask the fare and negotiate a price before you get in. Doing it when you arrive is sometimes a problem depending on the driver.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Anywhere on the cliffs, to roundabout, $5 for two people in a chartered taxi. No more than that, unless you're out past the light house, then maybe a dollar or two more.
    Route taxi is half that.
    Last edited by TAH; 02-11-2016 at 12:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Anyone know what cab cost would be from Point Village to.Hi-Lo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by njsem View Post
    Anyone know what cab cost would be from Point Village to.Hi-Lo?
    I typically offer $10 US to go to HI Lo, wait while I shop and bring me back to the beach, I shop in the morning when taxies and store are not busy, I always buy a (non alcoholic) drink for the driver.

User Info Menu

What should I expect to pay a charter taxi to go from mid beach to Half Moon Bay?

User Info Menu

$200J from Negril Bus Park to Sav.......mi gotta trek der soon

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20