Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help a newbie

User Info Menu

Help a newbie

I'm going to stay 6 mo in Negril. Start November 2016 end April 2017. I need a place to stay for 500 mo and don't need ac or tv or none. Want to live close into the beach. From a big city, feel best around ppl. Like loud and late night because that's what I sleep to where I'm from. I know it's tour season so I want to get it figured out now.
    I also think it would be good for me to have a scooter or bike. I was reading the posts about helmets and cops too. Thanks! I would like to know what is reasonable in J and in USD to pay for one. How to make sure it's not gonna break on me and who I should buy it from. If there is a reputable place on the beach or around for that.
    Also want to hear any volunteer options I might have.

User Info Menu

Re: Help a newbie

How long have you stayed in Negril previously ?

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

I certainly wouldn't recommend six months for a first time to Jamaica, at least not the way you're trying to do it. Could be setting yourself up for major problems. Need more information. Captaind, Marko, Rob and Lisa can give you the best up to date info.

User Info Menu

I stayed for 3 weeks before. I'm good with rustic living and eating. I'm going to save quite a bit and I do have some local friends and some Jamaican friends here to put me on with their friends. I am quite determined.

User Info Menu

Having all those friends could be the start of your problems!

User Info Menu

By all means then.

User Info Menu

Hi Sunnygal, Jah B's is rustic and cheap, across from the beach.

Immigration will stamp your passport for 90 days. To stay longer you have to go to Mobay and apply for an extension $10,000 jmd plus expenses to get there and back.
    On the other hand, 90 days is a good long stay in JA and you might be ready for a brief respite in the US, then come back and get another 90 day stamp in your passport.

How experienced are you riding motor-cycle...in western Jamaica...during high season? Read article and be sure to view the fatalities chart in the 2nd photo http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...ies-start-year

and http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/w...hs-say-western

A long stay is certainly doable (my 7th year). To be successful (safe, pleasant and money lasting til you leave) you need to be astute and discerning. "How to make sure it's not gonna break on me" is a red flag. "Friends" can be a blessing and/or a burden, Go Slow.

User Info Menu

Hey Lola!!
    Thank you for that because for REAL MAN IM already knowing the "friends" can be bad or worse. Born at night but not born last night. Didn't tell anyone my plans yet but know I'm still fresh and green. I know deep down I will always be disappointed in myself if I don't jump and 6 mo is not so crazy. I just want to have a place a bike and a way to help
    Those around me so it's not a waste. Yeah gal I see how the roads ruthless. I been reading EVERYTHING y'all say. It's not a good enough reason not to go where I know my heart is calling me.

User Info Menu

mi have been doing the 3 months here and 3 months in Florida thingy for 4 years now......and it works nice for mi
    mi find after after a couple months/3 months that mi getting mi fill of paradise and need a break.....
    though next Winter or sooner mi gotta make a decision if mi will continue the 3 month thingy or stay longer since mi fully retire....

beach is the high rent district and don't know of any places for $500 month........
    with dat said der a lot of places on da West End for extended stays....
    typically the extended rates go from $30,000J's and up......but $30,000J plus utilities is pretty common...so $500 well within your range
    best to do your research and go door knocking when you reach next time.......
    mi would never lock into sumthin here without seeing it.......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Volunteer at the Catholic Church to feed the children before school and such..............Good for you! LIVE THE DREAM~~
    "I'll love you till the stars fall out of the sky "

:cool