Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Trip Report Jan 30th to Feb 6th

User Info Menu

Recent Trip Report Jan 30th to Feb 6th

Just wanted to post a recent TR and offer some insight from me and the GF. This was our 10 or 11 Jamaica trip and 7 or 8th to Negril. We stated at PURE GARDEN RESORT.

Firstly, everything was irie at PG RESORT. Check-in was a breeze, we paid for a standard room, they were sold out and full capacity so we got a deluxe room with a kitchenette, room 10. We were checked in and catching up with Bob Marley within 10 mins of arrival.

Name:  20160201_153736.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  101.5 KB

We had a ton of fun visiting with locals, catching up with friends old and new. Our favorite breakfast spots were CAFE GOA, KUYABA and CANOE. The favorite dinner places were [B]ROGERS BAR, JAMAICA CAIO, BEST IN THE WEST and JAMAICA TAMBOO [/B](lobster pizza.) We are huge patty fans so we decided this trip to try every patty joint that is discussed and decide on our own favorite. We enjoyed this mission very much and came to the conclusion that MISS SONIA is the patty king. This is of course 100% personal preference, but she was our winner. Sorry to JA NIAH who I enjoy having drinks with in the evening, but she was our choice.

We used the market next to [B]PURE[/B] for our little this and thats. They have great prices and you check out via a scanner so you pay what the locals pay, no up-charge for being a tourist. We drank a ton of RED STRIPE this trip, it just went down so good. Oddly enough the GF always complained that we could never find decent wine to have in the room, so I of course found a solution. I bought a case of good California Red Wine from CPJ MARKET/DISTIRBUTION in MOBAY and we picked it up on the way to NEGRIL. Much to our surprise we only opened one bottle, the rest we gave away as gifts. We gave a bottle to our US friends that just built a condo at LITTLE BAY COUNTRY CLUB, a bottle to our favorite bar tender at YELLOWBIRD (we visit daily) two bottles to Steve at PURE who helped make our trip really nice and stress-free, a, bottle to the maid, a bottle DEZ the hot guy on the beach who helped me with my Patois, a few bottles to cab drivers including one who spotted my carrying a bottle across the property of PURE and went onto explain that one of his clients got him hooked on good wine and we had a nice conversation about wine quality and such. I could tell he really wanted a bottle so I told him that I was in need of a ride from PURE to Tony's Hut and would trade him a bottle for the lift, he of course quickly obliged. We also gave one to our housekeeping girl, she was awesome, this was possibly the best housekeeper we have ever had in Jamaica! She called in "champagne" and I had to give her a little wine lesson and tell her how to drink it. Even though we only drank one bottle ourselves I think I will buy a case each trip just to give as gifts, it seemed to bring a lot of joy to those we gave it to. Tips are nice, but something about a gift really brings a smile.

Name:  20160203_144042.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  89.3 KB

We ran into Rob one morning at CAFE GOA setting up, it was our first full day in country to the GF was craving the beach so unfortunately we didn't get to hang long enough to enjoy the show. The service at GOA is second to none for breakfast and Keith in the corner is great convo as well. Speaking of convo we had some of our best this trip with both tourists and locals. There is a different vibe in the winter months where you meet the folks who are long timers and some who have been coming for over 20 plus years.

Some highlights we caught up to the whistling peanut man for the second trip in a row. We have good luck having dinner at CIAO and waiting on him to come by. We bought some beer coozies the first day that are made custom for the RED STRIPE bottles, for whatever reason we got the biggest kick and lots of comments from others about these, super cool! We spent a lot of beach time at YELLOWBIRD, we found this place very much to our liking, quiet, good people and a nice bar to visit. We also visited BOURBON BEACH and KUYABA but found those a little busy and rich with sales pitches so we retreated to YELLOWBIRD. We really were liking the vibe of KUYABA but realized the LEGENDS crowd next door takes great liberty in using the KUYABA beach for their own space. KUYABA did not have any of their own staff monitoring their beachfront so it was just a whatever goes type of vibe.

We got a VIP tour of the new three story place that is being built next to GERMAN BAR. It is going to be the biggest true barbecue joint on the island according to the employees. They stressed barbecue and not jerk as there is a difference. They were really cool and we enjoyed some beers with them and good vibes. It is supposed to be open by August, we will be back in September and hope to see it up and running.

Name:  20160205_093125-1.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  104.7 KB

I got up and ran or swam each morning and just felt like a million dollars on the island, if you have been then you know. I was surprised some mornings to see how much sea grass had washed up on the south end of 7-mile. Some mornings three feet piles were aplenty with workers scurrying to clean it up. Holes the size of small cars were quickly being dug.

We saw some amazing sunsets a couple of nights, caught up to Lembert of "ONE LOVE PUB CRAWL" fame and he as always drops some serious knowledge bombs on you about Jamaica and politics. He is amazing smart and politically attuned if you ever get a chance have some convo with him.

We only had one not so good experience, I deviated from my own advice which is if you find a square trader in Jamaica stick with them as it is golden. We usually rent our scooter from Rambo and have never had anything but a positive experience, he is super cool and fair. At the urging of our resort we went with Wayne's bikes and the experience was horrible. The scooter was junk, all wrecked and nothing worked. The first night we made it to the cliffs and the headlights went out. I had already noticed the turn signals didn't work. We took back the next day and had to plead to exchange and was told he had to pay a $5 wash fee. I refused and we ended up with another scooter that was just as janky as the first but at least the headlights and turn signals worked. The guy inspected our return as if he was just looking for something to ding us on. He checked EVERYTHING, which is fine but you could tell the vibe was one of negativity and not one our true diligence.

Upon our return of the second scooter the employee tells us they are keeping our $100 deposit as the scooter has something damaged up underneath the frame. I tell him I have owned motorcycles for over 30 years and please show me what is damaged. He of course cannot and he start to have a verbal exchange as I demand my deposit. He says he has to phone Wayne. Wayne shows up 15 minutes later and I tell him I am onto the hustle and I want my money and I am not wasting anymore vacation time over this. He then says it was the scooter I turned in previously that was damaged and I again say to show me the damage and he too cannot. I again demand my money. Wayne kind of gets up close in my face and we have a brief start down. I firmly say again I want my money and this will be my last time asking nicely, I didn't damage anything and won't play this game any longer. He slowly and deliberately peels two $50 bills out of his pocket and kind of plunks them in my hand, no thank you, no all is well nothing. I tell him we won't ever do business again and we walk back to PURE.

Name:  20160130_171036-1-1.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  96.3 KB

All in all a great trip! We have the next two already booked,

One Love,

Ron
    Last edited by RonMon; 02-13-2016 at 05:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Recent Trip Report Jan 30th to Feb 6th

RonMon,

Good stuff! Sorry about the scooter rental, but glad you got your deposit back!

Thanks for posting!

VVHT

User Info Menu

Love the pictures! Can't wait till next Friday

User Info Menu

did you have a chance to try out of town bakery's patties? . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    did you have a chance to try out of town bakery's patties? . . .
    Thats the only one we missed! I kinda forgot about them when we were buzzing around.

User Info Menu

Nice report Ron, too bad about the whole scooter deal. Glad you didn't cave, gotta stick to principles.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the detailed report, nice how you bolded the businesess! Kudos on dealing straight and not getting taken.

User Info Menu

Nice report and good pix too. Where is PG located?
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Nice report and good pix too. Where is PG located?
    It is across the road from BOURBON BEACH. We were told the guy who owns BOURBON BEACH leased it from the original owners who have had it in the family for years. There has obviously been quite a bit of money put into some updating as the place looks great. Its nothing fancy, but we paid like $80 a night during high season and it was a bargain. We threw the trip together kind of last minute so we took a flyer and were glad we did.

User Info Menu

Thanks I will wander down when I am there and take a look. I am happy with where I am staying but I am curious when I hear of a "new" place.
    Irie Sue