Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Tragedy . . . Any more info?

User Info Menu

Road Tragedy . . . Any more info?

Saw this article and was wondering where it occurred?

Jamaican police are investigating after John Rowsom, 76, was struck and killed by a motorcyclist as he walked along a road on the island's western tip on Thursday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ycle-1.3447434
    My Books:

Walk Good - Sunset Negril - Night Nurse
    Available @ www.amazon.com - search 'Roland Reimer'

User Info Menu

Re: Road Tragedy . . . Any more info?

It happened in or very near downtown Negril. I was In the area at that time and suddenly everyone was talking about it. I didn't see it so only know what details I read in the paper. However, I do know police and EMS were on the scene quickly.

Anyone who walks downtown knows what a hazard the bikes are. They do fly around at dangerous speeds without regard for their own safety or that of others.
    Yesterday at noon I went shopping at Cash n Carry next to Winners Plaza where the bike taxis congregate. Of course, it was business as usual. The guys were drinking and smoking. The police were at the roundabout busy stopping route taxis and checking paperwork while impaired bikers flew by.
    Maybe the death of a tourist will motivate the police into some modest action but I doubt it. Certainly the deaths and serious injury of Jamaicans from bike accidents hasn't.

User Info Menu

Most of the Jamaicans driving motorbikes or scooters are completely out of control....I was there for two weeks (driving a rental car) and these guys don't care just pass and cut in between.......Been driving in Negril for many years and this was the worst it has ever been........Driving to the golf course with the main road closed and driving thru the back roads to get around the construction.......it was apparent they have no concern about others and think they are invincible........Something needs to be done for their own good.........Just my humble opinion...........

Ken
    Last edited by kwhizz; 02-14-2016 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Horrible! So very sad for his family..

User Info Menu

Read some of the comments below the CBC story. The usual ignorance about the island.

User Info Menu

Heartbreaking.....

User Info Menu

I just returned from Negril and witnessed a number of near misses between motorbikes or scooters and pedestrians on the new sidewalks. Hopefully this can be fixed as the sidewalks are a great addition for Negril and I would suspect a major reason for them was to increase safety. The instances I observed involved various rental guys. They were riding for a distance down the sidewalk before entering the roadway. I did not understand this as they had driveway access to the road very near their stands.

My condolences to the family of Mr. Rowsom.

User Info Menu

We used to enjoy riding a scooter around Negril, we decided after witnessing one car wreck in front of Rockhouse and seeing the aftermate of another down by RIU that we are done taking the risk. The Jamaica authorities have to get the reckless driving under control or it will drive tourists back onto all inclusives or out of the country period. Nearly everyone we talked with had a story about near misses with cars or motorcycles.

User Info Menu

I was in an accident on my second to last trip. It was minor, but was caused by a drunk route taxi driver (he was my driver, so I know he was drunk). Dude was just flying down west end rd through the curves up near xtabi and clipped a car coming the opposite way, taking his mirror off and scratching the side of his car. Other driver whipped a u turn and caught us just as we pulled into sips n bites, I thought the other driver was gonna beat the hell out of my driver. Drivers in Negril are terrible in general.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    I was in an accident on my second to last trip. It was minor, but was caused by a drunk route taxi driver (he was my driver, so I know he was drunk). Dude was just flying down west end rd through the curves up near xtabi and clipped a car coming the opposite way, taking his mirror off and scratching the side of his car. Other driver whipped a u turn and caught us just as we pulled into sips n bites, I thought the other driver was gonna beat the hell out of my driver. Drivers in Negril are terrible in general.
    We had the craziest experience, we stopped on our scooter at Canoe and had a beer and decided to head further into the cliffs. I commented to GF to be careful and pay attention when near the road as you never know when you will need to sidestep a car or MC that is out of control. MY Gf asked the question "Wonder what they do when there is a wreck here, do the police even show up?" Fast forwards two minutes and we are riding between Samsara and Rockhouse a car coming towards us is obviously flying and fails to make the curve and literally is totaled hitting one of the heavy steel poles and striking the wall by Rockhouse. We heard the crash and turned around to see if anyone was injured. No major injuries just some blood from hitting the window a bit but it really shook us up. That car could have killed us or someone walking along the wall so easily, I don't know why the Jamaicans drive so recklessly when otherwise they seem to be so nonchalant and never in a hurry.