Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Portland Videos

User Info Menu

Re: Portland Videos

Short Ride into Port Antonio

I went home and gathered my pictures & videos from my last three reaches, but left them on the dinning room table…typical me. But anyway, here’s a couple I have on me that are from past visits so some of the scenery is a not quite current. On this ride we pass the craft market pre-vendor occupancy. It’s now much brighter and livelier. As we get to the divide, the building at the point, red top/green bottom, is Piggys. Some of the best jerk chicken is found here.

This was taken during construction. The big, noisy tractors and trucks are gone and the pit-deep pot holes have been fixed. I’ve walked this route starting from Folly Point Park all the way to the marina (about 2 miles?) many times without being harassed, hassled or even stopped.

https://youtu.be/y9ycKdP4VeE

User Info Menu

^^^Looks like just a very layed back vibe!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

I have some gopro video taking off and flying from Ken Jones in Portland to Negril from last week - not sure how to get those to display here...

User Info Menu

OK That wasn't too hard! Just uploaded to youtube. https://youtu.be/wY6z8O0f3b8

I have bits and pieces through to landing at the Negril Aerodrome. Jamaica is really a beautiful country - astounded at how much un-used forest there is inland of Falmouth - this must be maintained in its pristine state!

User Info Menu

Oh Yes!

User Info Menu

Awesome video Odinson! I want a gopro!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

One evening downtown Port Antonio.

This was when the roads were ripped up while the new sewer system was being installed. But the construction didn’t stop the action on that clear, warm Saturday night. I took it all in as I stood on the steps of the NCB waiting for my ride.

Ohmygoodness…seeing this video is bringing back everything about that night. The sight, the smells, the noise and the conversation with “Miss Sarah”. I apologize 541lion, I must use a few words with this video.

https://youtu.be/gWjrncQu4jM

The little, elderly woman following the man pushing a cart full of bags joins me at the steps. She, well into her 70’s, reminds me of my late grandmother Sarah May. In fact, I was hoping her name was Sarah. The only way to find out is to talk to her.

She lives in Annotto Bay, about 40 minutes outside of PA. Every Thursday, she and a small group of stall mates travel to Port Antonio to sell their wares in the Muskgrave Market on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Saturday is the money making day.

I was impressed with the travel schedule and ask how she gets back and forth…taxi…private ride…bus? She tells me she sleeps on a blanket in the market because it costs too much to pay daily fare. I didn’t respond right away because what she said shocked me. She quickly added that she’s not alone, and that many other women from her area do the same. “The only time things not good in the night is when it rains.”

I wish I had the power to change her situation.

I asked her how she made out this weekend. Though she was tired, she mustered up a morsel of enthusiasm when she said “Me do good. Me make a likkle sumtim fe me purse.”

Her purse, she said, had a likkle more now. My purse…is not lacking. I emptied what I had and gave it to her. She thanked me then quickly turns toward the many bundled up bags piled on the sidewalk. I told her I didn’t want anything. She looked confused. I just smiled and gave her a hug. She sat on the step and unfolded the bills that were clutched in her hand.

Golden opportunities happen in Jamaica…even after the sun goes down.

User Info Menu

https://youtu.be/2wIAQJqLI2k

Here's a short clip of Reach Falls. Very well organized attraction!

I will put some more on the Negril page tomorrow?

User Info Menu

*vi*, AAAAAMMMMMMAAAAAZZZZZIIINNGGGG!!!!! The evening sounds of Jamaica!!!! missing Ja. BBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Reach Falls

No narrative needed…the video speaks for itself. But do want to say put this on your “must experience” list when visiting Portland. Oh and take some cooked rice to feed the fish. Amazing!!!

https://youtu.be/rmrOJqJx6hs