Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthony Bourdain visits Portland

User Info Menu

Re: Anthony Bourdain visits Portland

Spanky, we did just that in February. Go to the Port Antonio board section here for Irie Always' (IA) trip report. I think she called "We Did It". We were in Negril for a week, and went to Mobay to meet Irie Always and her Hubby when they landed and then we headed up to Porty for 3 days. Wish we had had longer. It's absolutely beautiful. More jungly, more rain. Not the long beach you're used to in Negril, but more smaller beaches and bay type beaches. The people are ... well, Jamaican - warm, and friendly, but in PA they seem almost shy. Lovely, lovely people! The water is considerably rougher (people surf there! Not like Waikiki surfing, but surfing nonetheless).

You will need a car or a driver. It's not as populous as Negril and Mobay, and taxis are fewer and far between. And you need them! Attractions and activities are many, but far between! We went with a couple who have been friends with for years IA and happen to be tour operators. They don't usually go to that area and were on a fact finding "maybe we'll add this to our list" trip with us. The roads in Negril, BTW, are like fine German or American superhighways compared to PA! Yeesh!

We planned our trip well - made a list of what we wanted to see, mapped it out, went to furthest point and worked our way back. Worked well. If you want more info, PM me. We'd be happy to share our experiences!

It was well worth the trip. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

My one item I would say to pack? Water shoes!
    Last edited by M&G Montreal; 04-27-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Booboos!

User Info Menu

Re: Anthony Bourdain visits Portland

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    AllI remember from the T.V. show is that while I realize that Michael Lee Chin has a reputation as a philanthropist, I could not help but think by the way he treated Anthony Bourdain, who was a GUEST in his Trident Hotel BTW, that he (Mr. Chin) is a bit of a jerk.
    Dude! (Post edited due to libel laws) He wants to take the coastline and build exclusive $2,500 a night villas! It's a terrible idea! One of the locals told us that PA is still the playground of the rich and famous, and they don't want their piece of paradise ruined in that manner, and quietly and richly see that it doesn't happen ... thus far!