Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time Visitor to Negril

User Info Menu

Re: First Time Visitor to Negril

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    Well, I am in my mid 60's, vacationed in Hawaii every year for almost 8 years in the '70s and '80s, don't really drink or party AND I now live half a year or more in Jamaica each year so I understand where you are coming from (I think). I don't think you should be overly concerned about your personal safety. Tourists are a protected species in Jamaica and aside from petty problems exist in peace and harmony alongside Jamaicans. In fact, I found the attitude of Hawaiians towards "Hoales" to be more aggressive and dangerous than traveling around in Jamaica.

I do think that being way out of Negril at Rockhouse would not be my personal choice. Not that Rockhouse isn't nice but there are other places closer into town that would give you better shopping within walking distance of the hotel and would be a whole lot cheaper. I prefer to stay in a place like Seastar where you have a more inclusive environment with locals, staff and visitors plus access to the van to the beach each day.

In full disclosure, I must say that I live in a very remote, rural area in the Cockpits so I don't spend much time in Negril but I would recommend your contacting Linston a driver on this board who is the perfect person to take you out into the country. You might want to consider bringing some school supplies and have him take you there to deliver them in person. That would be one activity that would be a highlight of your stay.

Finally, I wouldn't ever talk about "excess cash, laptops etc." on a public board and connect that information to where you are staying. Do that through private emails or messages.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Peace and Guidance
    Sounds like good advise. Thank you

User Info Menu

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It sounds like a week may not be enough time to take it all in. If all goes as you guys describe an extension may be in order!

User Info Menu

We gave up that crack thing for Lent, LOL We have moved on to things like Asper-creme and Metamucil! Anyway thanks for the helpful advice, our plate looks like it will be as full as we wish it to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaspapa View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. It sounds like a week may not be enough time to take it all in. If all goes as you guys describe an extension may be in order!
    A week, two weeks, a month.. It's never enough!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaspapa View Post
    We gave up that crack thing for Lent, LOL We have moved on to things like Asper-creme and Metamucil! Anyway thanks for the helpful advice, our plate looks like it will be as full as we wish it to be.
    omg, laughing here . . . good answer . . .

User Info Menu

The Rockhouse is a nice place, and you will have fun walking the main road in either direction for restaurants, pubs and little shops. My wife and I have stayed there on the cliffs before, (Tensing Pen, Xtabi, and the Rockhouse), in fact we will be arriving back to the Xtabi next Sunday, the 22nd. Stop at all the hotels you walk past to check them out. I don't believe there are any strictly all-inclusives up there, so they are open to anyone. Most have very good restaurants and bars to hang out for awesome sunsets. We are in our mid 50's, and have always felt completely safe, never had reason to worry. A lot less people trying to sell you their wares on the cliffs than on the beach. The road can get quite dark in spots at night, so if it gets late and you want to venture out, a cab is a good idea.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phineasfreakears View Post
    The Rockhouse is a nice place, and you will have fun walking the main road in either direction for restaurants, pubs and little shops. My wife and I have stayed there on the cliffs before, (Tensing Pen, Xtabi, and the Rockhouse), in fact we will be arriving back to the Xtabi next Sunday, the 22nd. Stop at all the hotels you walk past to check them out. I don't believe there are any strictly all-inclusives up there, so they are open to anyone. Most have very good restaurants and bars to hang out for awesome sunsets. We are in our mid 50's, and have always felt completely safe, never had reason to worry. A lot less people trying to sell you their wares on the cliffs than on the beach. The road can get quite dark in spots at night, so if it gets late and you want to venture out, a cab is a good idea.

Thanks, the tips are much appreciated. After all the great responses to my post I feel like a Negril veteran already! Btw we are also arriving on the 22nd.