Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Visitor to Negril

User Info Menu

First Time Visitor to Negril

Hello all, We are a couple in our early 60's that have heard so much about Negril, both good and bad, we have decided to take the plunge and go for it. We have vacationed in Hawaii every year for the last 30 years, never missing a year, and although we truly love Hawaii we are ready to try some place new. We have booked a weeks stay at the Rockhouse Hotel at the end of May. We are of course concerned about safety. Can someone please tell us about the area around the Rockhouse? Is it safe to venture off the hotel property on foot? We love to walk but we are hearing that taxi's are safer. Are the hotel room safes secure? If not where do we store excess cash, laptops etc. Is there shopping within walking distance of the Hotel? What activities would you recommend for someone our age that doesn't involve drinking or partying? Any info we can get would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Re: First Time Visitor to Negril

You're going to get the exact same answers you got on Trip Advisor, and from a lot of the same people. You will be fine.

User Info Menu

I did ask the same questions on Trip Advisor but didn't receive ANY responses.

User Info Menu

Go back and look again.

User Info Menu

I had tried to find them before but gave up as that website is kind of hard to navigate but after your suggestion I tried a little harder and found them. Thanks

User Info Menu

My wife and I split our vacations between Negril an HI. Love both. One thing you'll notice is a completely different amount of attention from the locals. As you know, Hawaiians are nice/helpful but usually a little distant. You can count on Jamaicans, especially outside your resort, to want to talk to you. They'll persistently offer lots of helpful suggestions, goods, services, tours, etc. Some people are put off by that and confuse it with being a safety issue. It can be annoying if you just want to walk or shop in peace, but IME it's never been unsafe. Never stayed at RH, but stay at equivalent places and the safes are secure. Staying on the cliffs in Negril is really unique. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

The road can be intimidating, use caution crossing (they drive opposite), consider a taxi for any distance after dark and bring a small flashlight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blueallah View Post
    My wife and I split our vacations between Negril an HI. Love both. One thing you'll notice is a completely different amount of attention from the locals. As you know, Hawaiians are nice/helpful but usually a little distant. You can count on Jamaicans, especially outside your resort, to want to talk to you. They'll persistently offer lots of helpful suggestions, goods, services, tours, etc. Some people are put off by that and confuse it with being a safety issue. It can be annoying if you just want to walk or shop in peace, but IME it's never been unsafe. Never stayed at RH, but stay at equivalent places and the safes are secure. Staying on the cliffs in Negril is really unique. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

The road can be intimidating, use caution crossing (they drive opposite), consider a taxi for any distance after dark and bring a small flashlight.

Thanks for your input. I guess I just got myself worked up by reading to much stuff on the internet. We look forward to a great experience, thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaspapa View Post
    Hello all, We are a couple in our early 60's that have heard so much about Negril, both good and bad, we have decided to take the plunge and go for it. We have vacationed in Hawaii every year for the last 30 years, never missing a year, and although we truly love Hawaii we are ready to try some place new. We have booked a weeks stay at the Rockhouse Hotel at the end of May. We are of course concerned about safety. Can someone please tell us about the area around the Rockhouse? Is it safe to venture off the hotel property on foot? We love to walk but we are hearing that taxi's are safer. Are the hotel room safes secure? If not where do we store excess cash, laptops etc. Is there shopping within walking distance of the Hotel? What activities would you recommend for someone our age that doesn't involve drinking or partying? Any info we can get would be appreciated.
    Well, I am in my mid 60's, vacationed in Hawaii every year for almost 8 years in the '70s and '80s, don't really drink or party AND I now live half a year or more in Jamaica each year so I understand where you are coming from (I think). I don't think you should be overly concerned about your personal safety. Tourists are a protected species in Jamaica and aside from petty problems exist in peace and harmony alongside Jamaicans. In fact, I found the attitude of Hawaiians towards "Hoales" to be more aggressive and dangerous than traveling around in Jamaica.

I do think that being way out of Negril at Rockhouse would not be my personal choice. Not that Rockhouse isn't nice but there are other places closer into town that would give you better shopping within walking distance of the hotel and would be a whole lot cheaper. I prefer to stay in a place like Seastar where you have a more inclusive environment with locals, staff and visitors plus access to the van to the beach each day.

In full disclosure, I must say that I live in a very remote, rural area in the Cockpits so I don't spend much time in Negril but I would recommend your contacting Linston a driver on this board who is the perfect person to take you out into the country. You might want to consider bringing some school supplies and have him take you there to deliver them in person. That would be one activity that would be a highlight of your stay.

Finally, I wouldn't ever talk about "excess cash, laptops etc." on a public board and connect that information to where you are staying. Do that through private emails or messages.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post

Finally, I wouldn't ever talk about "excess cash, laptops etc." on a public board and connect that information to where you are staying. Do that through private emails or messages.

Everyone already knows that most tourists travel with excess cash and laptops...

Most popular hotels have room or wall safes that are included or you can pay to use during your stay. Keep electronic "copies" of important documents like pictures of your passports, and e-copies of your airline and hotel confirmations.

I always stay on the beach, but walked up into the cliffs from my hotel to Rick's cafe last year. It is totally possible to walk on the roads but keep in mind it is very tight in many areas and not build for a leisurly stroll. If you wanted to do some shopping, I'd get a taxi to the roundabout ("center" of town). The roundabout is a natural route stop which splits the beach road from the west end road. If you ask your driver to go beyone the roundabout you have commissioned him and will likely pay more than the route fare. From the roundabout, walk the beach road to Time Square shopping mall. For an adventure, you can check out the public/craft market but I'm not sure which days they run. It's also right near the roundabout. There are also many vendors and shops on the beach, so you can cut through to the beach at Bourbon Beach ( I just walk through the restaurant ). There are a few shops along the cliff road, and some wonderful restaurants, so I would consider walking around a bit in the area of Rockhouse, just to see what's right there. Ask the staff and bartender at RH, too. They are excellent resources in most cases!

While it would be foolish to discount the actual violence taking plance in Jamaica, and most of the rest of the world, know that, as stated above, tourism is a valuable resource and most people in the greater Negril area make a living off of tourism. There is no way that they would target their main source of income. A few bad apples, as theft seems to be the most common incident reported, ruin the reputation of the majority. People who report theft don't seem to report that someone broke into their safe... so taking common-sense precautions will go a long way. While it can be nice to get dressed up for dinner, and at some restaurants it's appropriate, leave your best jewelry at home. I only carry the amount of cash I think I will need for given activities. I use my ipod for wifi communication, not my regular cell phone ( and good thing too, becuase I lost my ipod in a taxi last month - luckily, Alton was the best driver EVER and he found me and returned it, but I would have been disappointed if it had been my cell phone! )

For activites, the sunset is it's own amazing adventure. As is walking the beach- so much to see if you like people watching. Going to Rick's Cafe to watch the divers and perhaps take a swim yourself. Take a boat tour to Booby Cay. Find your favorite place for Jerk - I recently went to 3 Dives and found it to be delicious! Visit a local church service. Volunteer at a meal sevice - St. Anthony's I believe. Take a tour to YS Falls, Black River, and Appleton (commonly paired together), a tour to Mayfield Falls, a tour to Blue Hole Mineral Springs, a tour to Pelican Bar. Take a ride to Half Moon Beach. In Negril, I enjoy live music at Drifter's, Boat Bar, and the new Woodstock during the day. For later at night, Bourbon Beach, Alfred's, and Roots Bamboo. Seastar Inn has a Saturday night show and (optional) buffet. Pushcart has been featuring The Overtakers lately. They sometimes play at Canoe Bar, too, and I can't remember the other place they play. Otherwise, Negril is a really great town to simply relax. Bring a blow up floaty for the ocean and lots of sunscreen and enjoy the sun and sea!!!

I imagine it will be quite different than Hawaii. and in town the cliffs have a very different personality than the beach. Rockhouse is a beautiful property. Relax and enjoy or else your worries will overshadow the amazing people, places, and adventures you could treasure forever!!!

User Info Menu

Things happen everywhere but the fewer "at risk" behavior that we do, the lower the risk. I am assuming that you won't be walking up a dark lane to buy some crack cocaine, LOL. To help you put your mind at ease, my wife and I have been coming to Negril for 23 years now. Last week we drove to Kingston in our little soft top Suzuki and Wednesday we drove to Falmouth just because it was cloudy on the beach and the sun was shining that way. Yesterday we drove through the hills from Little london to Green Island and when we got to Orange bay we went back through the country just because we were having such a good time. In 23 years we have never seen a lick of trouble. I'm not saying you should take a backroads trip right off the bat.

Here is what I would suggest you do on your first full day....contact one of the drivers listed above under the "transport" tab. All are fully licenced, insured, and good drivers. As suggested earlier, Linston is as good as any. Have your driver give you a quick tour of Negril. Shopping, groceries, supplies etc. Have him take you up to Red Ground and then along the beach road. I`d have the driver drop you at some place along the beach where you will feel comfortable, and start your day there. I`d recommend Sun Beach. Nice place for lunch and Icy cold Red Stripe. Then do your own thing from there. Park yourself in a lounger, walk, sleep, read, whatever. Have your driver return at a specific time. Day 2...repeat.

The Rockhouse is one of the nicest hotels in Negril and security won`t be a problem.