Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical Care alternatives?

User Info Menu

Re: Medical Care alternatives?

I have Medex insurance with medical evacuation included. Also, I have several close friends (Brothers) that I can call in an emergency that will get me to a good private hospital.

However, if I have the "BIG ONE" Miss G says my remains will stay in Jamaica "land we love"

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Hey Rob,
    It is my understanding that hospitals require payment prior to services rendered and you are expected to settle with your travel insurance when you return home. Having a credit card with a low balance and high limit is likely needed. Is this not the case with the places you have mentioned? Your comment about just paying the deductible stoked my interest.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    Hey Rob,
    It is my understanding that hospitals require payment prior to services rendered and you are expected to settle with your travel insurance when you return home. Having a credit card with a low balance and high limit is likely needed. Is this not the case with the places you have mentioned? Your comment about just paying the deductible stoked my interest.
    Booger,

Excellent question! This used to be the way they all worked as many insurance claims of all kinds still do. You would pay the bill and them submit it to the insurer. But times have changed with travel insurance as with most things.

Since this is not an insurance focused forum, I will give some basic info and links to more detailed travel insurance sources. We are in no way supporting or endorsing any of these companies, just providing links to how travel insurance works. I googled "how medical travel insurance works?"

All small costs, such as doctor visits, x-rays, mending a broken ankle or general vague illness requiring a doctor visit would all be paid in advance (out of pocket expense) and then the receipts sent to the insurer when you get back home. But for long stays, or very expensive services (medical evac), in the last few years several travel insurance companies offer "primary" coverage, which the hospital or med evac service will work with the insurer directly with no out of pocket expenses.

A travel info based site states that some companies "now offer comprehensive packages that serve as your primary coverage; they’ll take care of your expenses regardless of what other insurance you might have (for instance, if you have health insurance through your job). That means they pay first and don’t ask questions about your other insurance. This can be a real plus if you want to avoid out-of-pocket expenses."

And "With medical coverage, you may be able to arrange to have expensive hospital or doctor bills paid directly....you can also purchase primary coverage, which will take care of your costs up to a certain amount. In emergency situations involving costly procedures or overnight stays, the hospital will typically work directly with your travel-insurance carrier on billing..."

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...avel-insurance

In all cases, your travel insurer should be contacted asap regarding what is covered and what to do regarding the plan you purchased.

And from another source, "Emergency Medical Evacuation insurance provides coverage for medically necessary evacuation and transportation to medical facilities. These costs can easily reach $10,000 out of pocket if you don't have coverage."

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...-insurance.asp

Costs vary greatly depending on what is covered, your age and any pre-existing conditions. Take your time to compare the different companies and the plans they offer to find what is best for you.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob- Thanks for that excellent post and info!

Captaind Linston - What are the 'good private hospitals' you would go to? That would be the info I would most appreciate having if you don't mind sharing that info.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoyinNC View Post
    Rob- Thanks for that excellent post and info!

Captaind Linston - What are the 'good private hospitals' you would go to? That would be the info I would most appreciate having if you don't mind sharing that info.
    Thanks!
    Roy,

I'll post that information as soon as I know.

I'm not sure which hospital my Brothers where referring to but I was assured that I would be well cared for

Sounds weird , I know

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Accompong, Rob and Cap.... thanks to all of you for your local insights an perspective. This thread has been one of the more informative and useful that I've seen on any travel site in some time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Booger,

Excellent question! This used to be the way they all worked as many insurance claims of all kinds still do. You would pay the bill and them submit it to the insurer. But times have changed with travel insurance as with most things.

Since this is not an insurance focused forum, I will give some basic info and links to more detailed travel insurance sources. We are in no way supporting or endorsing any of these companies, just providing links to how travel insurance works. I googled "how medical travel insurance works?"

All small costs, such as doctor visits, x-rays, mending a broken ankle or general vague illness requiring a doctor visit would all be paid in advance (out of pocket expense) and then the receipts sent to the insurer when you get back home. But for long stays, or very expensive services (medical evac), in the last few years several travel insurance companies offer "primary" coverage, which the hospital or med evac service will work with the insurer directly with no out of pocket expenses.

A travel info based site states that some companies "now offer comprehensive packages that serve as your primary coverage; they’ll take care of your expenses regardless of what other insurance you might have (for instance, if you have health insurance through your job). That means they pay first and don’t ask questions about your other insurance. This can be a real plus if you want to avoid out-of-pocket expenses."

And "With medical coverage, you may be able to arrange to have expensive hospital or doctor bills paid directly....you can also purchase primary coverage, which will take care of your costs up to a certain amount. In emergency situations involving costly procedures or overnight stays, the hospital will typically work directly with your travel-insurance carrier on billing..."

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...avel-insurance

In all cases, your travel insurer should be contacted asap regarding what is covered and what to do regarding the plan you purchased.

And from another source, "Emergency Medical Evacuation insurance provides coverage for medically necessary evacuation and transportation to medical facilities. These costs can easily reach $10,000 out of pocket if you don't have coverage."

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...-insurance.asp

Costs vary greatly depending on what is covered, your age and any pre-existing conditions. Take your time to compare the different companies and the plans they offer to find what is best for you.

Excellent answer. I'm still bringing that card as backup simply to put my mind at ease. My next trip I'm bringing a senior and with that I am running scenarios that I never considered before.

It's my understanding that Seastar has a defibrillator, but do not quote me on that. Something to consider as one ages.

User Info Menu

For sure bring credit card(s) to use if needed.

Some travel medical insurance needs to be purchased within a short time frame from your first purchase for the trip (hotel or flight), so research your options before booking.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Improvements being made to the hospital in Savanna-La-Mar! Thank you to the Issa Foundation! $24 million in new equipment for their Special Care Nursery for newborns!

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/regio...Hospital_62686
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

This project for Negril International Hospital has dropped long time ago. I volunteered for NIH, but it never got off ground. Clinics close in the evening here and it requires some planning for care at night in Negril. The most important thing is getting someone there ASAP, then make a plan! You won't know whats open (time of day) and whats running as far as ambulances until the time comes. Until we have 24 hour facility we do our best here in Negril! It is great to see people asking questions and planning ahead. I always advise to carry ONE credit card and cash along with insurance proof, but many do not cover out of the country events. Please check ahead of time and check travel insurance options for reimbursement. Nurse Beth
    Last edited by Comforts of Home Nursing; 11-01-2016 at 02:42 PM.