Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

User Info Menu

Re: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

visited Negril for 30 years(yeah, I am old) and to deny things have not changed and to deny that it is more dangerous than before does a disservice to all.....those who have not been familiar with these changes need to know the truth so that they can make educated decisions. While this board is an excellent resource for learning what is available in Negril, it also needs to be transparent as to the real Negril 2016

User Info Menu

Also the could happen is always an acceptable or inescapable level of risk but the odds in Negril are starting to seem too much against us. I love Negril and its people more than I can express but I love my life too. Place is getting to be like a parts of Chicago or Boston, for example, that I stay away from.

User Info Menu

Yes Marco I agree and I know you do anything to promote what is great about Negril but you are keeping it real, the motto of this site.

User Info Menu

Nothing in the major Canadian papers about it yet (as far as I can see).

User Info Menu

thanks....the businesses need to become a more proactive part of dealing wiih the issues

Administrator

User Info Menu

Here is an update from another official news service.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...-killed-negril

We have been hesitant to post on this transparent thread because of the vast number of rumors that have been associated with this tragic incident. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims of this tragedy.

I personally hope the Commissioner can help bring closure to this tragic incident for all.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

People need to remember that crime happens everywhere. Negril may look like a tropical paradise but it's still a town just like any other all over the word. We can't stop living our lives and doing the things we love because of a handful of bad apples. 50 people were just killed in night club in US last night, should we stop going to night clubs? Yes it's a very different world from 20 or 30 years ago?. One of the biggest differences is now that if a mouse farts in China it is now a media topic and relayed across the word in milliseconds and then twisted into everyone's interpretation and or opinion. People need to be aware of their surroundings and interactions. Doesn't matter if it's Negril or your own home town. Sorry for the rant but it gets old hearing how people will stop doing something they love because a crime was committed. I live in a smallish town in the US and more violence happens here than probably a quarter of JA .. And no I don't live in the "hood". I live four miles outside of a wonderful little town and it has its share of bad apples just like everywhere else.

This is still very tragic and thoughts prayers go out to the victims of this.
    “Indecision may or may not be my problem.”

Administrator

User Info Menu

I have to echo NoProblem's insightful comment about how twisted stories can become in milliseconds, because of people's interpretation, opinions and the Internet.

I am sure that all of you have heard countless versions of this tragic incident based on rumors, speculation and sensationalism from other websites and even based on contact with people you know in Negril. The village was buzzing yesterday with all kinds of rumors being spread in every store, restaurant, bar and street corner you came across. Most are not meant to be malicious, but false statements passed on as "facts" do a disservice to all.

Thus far, none of our monitors have had to delete anything from this tragic topic. That speaks volumes for the quality of the posters and viewers of Negril.com! Thank you all for keeping it real.

We heard all kinds of stories yesterday, none the same. We had 'eyewitness's" saying the incident happened in at least seven different locations. The rumors had from 2 to 5 visitors involved, with both men and women being killed. Even the time of the incident varied by 6 hours.

Since there has been virtually no Canadian coverage of this incident other than stating what the Gleaner, Observer and RJR have already reported, there is not much new we can add. The shooting occurred around 9pm in front of the closed Kaiser's property. According to the police, a 35 year old Canadian, Mr. Palakai, either Andre or Deneis depending on the article, was killed by two gunmen on a motorcycle. The other two walking with him were unharmed. Since nothing was taken, robbery does not seem to be the reason for this incident.

In the latest article linked above, it is noted that the entire parish of Westmoreland has had a total of 46 murder so far this year. As NoProblem pointed out, 50 people were shot and killed in the tourist town of Orlando, Florida last night. We grieve for all these victims.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I am amazed and disheartened that the Negril random murder and others would be compared to the terrorist attack in Orlando. The point is that around the world in high target area countries are working extraordinarily hard devoting immense resources to keep ahead of an ever blossoming terrorist network that continues to execute different and extremelyi challenging and brutal approaches to killing innocent people. The Negril situation does not compare. The security in Negril is horrible as the rash of murders there indicates. I more than anyone want the people of Negril to flourish and redo the benefits of a robust tourist economy and for folks like myself to reap all the wonderful blessings Negril has to offer. If you want to minimize things and used flawed logic and compare terroist activities to the Negril hoodlum based killings, then I think we do no service to Jamaica or tourists. It is just watering down the matter and perpetuate more of the same. The Negril authorities need to step it up like fighters of terrorism are doing. Maybe anecdotal but I am scared to return to Negril or my judgment tells me to stay away. That bums me out. You say crime is everywhere but I stay away from high crime areas like Negril has sadly become. Keeping it real on Negril.com. God bless all.
    Last edited by BostonBob; 06-12-2016 at 03:30 PM.