Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Canadian killed on westend friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    why is there trepidation by officials to call this a robbery gone bad? I think it is important to all future visitors to know the truth? which, as many have written, can happen anywhere. The goal is so it doesn't happen again. Knowledge is power and hopefully prevention in a case like this.
    Knowledge is power. Rumor and speculation are not...

Let us wait for that knowledge to be available. As the police said, they are talking to many people.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Violence typically doesn't happen in a vacuum. As has been pointed out before, some people do not just visit Negril and Jamaica for sunshine, reggae music, rum and ganja. There are certainly more nefarious activities one can get wrapped up in. That doesn't mean I believe these types of killings are justified. I just want to point out that it is highly unlikely this, or any other instance, is a random act of violence. There is almost always some sort of motive for gun violence.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

wow...shame on you..this is an outrageous post based upon absolutley no facts

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    wow...shame on you..this is an outrageous post based upon absolutley no facts
    Marco,

Will you list a few examples of gun violence that had no motive at all?

That would help support your comment.

User Info Menu

t

User Info Menu

this poster said it is highly unlikely that this was a random act of of violence....., suggesting that they must have been involved in some nefarious act.....we have no idea what the motive was and to suggest that the couple was involved in some bad things is, frankly, slanderous....this is my opinion, Rob.......perhaps....we should ask the poster what his intent was, rather than putting the onus on me...and just to add, I have known a number of people who have been robbed at gun point, including my son......they were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.....doesn't take much for an armed robbery to turn into a gunshot...very surprised that your post was not directed at Kevin....there have been a few posts by you in this same thread directing posters to keep things factual...for which aI agree...just seems a bit hypocritical to not tell Kevin the same thing

Earlier post from Rob:

"Here is an update from another official news service.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...-killed-negril

We have been hesitant to post on this transparent thread because of the vast number of rumors that have been associated with this tragic incident. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims of this tragedy.

I personally hope the Commissioner can help bring closure to this tragic incident for all."
    Last edited by marco; 06-27-2016 at 05:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    this poster said it is highly unlikely that this was a random act of of violence....., suggesting that they must have been involved in some nefarious act.....we have no idea what the motive was and to suggest that the couple was involved in some bad things is, frankly, slanderous....this is my opinion, Rob.......perhaps....we should ask the poster what his intent was, rather than putting the onus on me...and just to add, I have known a number of people who have been robbed at gun point, including my son......they were just at the wrong place at the wrong time.....doesn't take much for an armed robbery to turn into a gunshot...very surprised that your post was not directed at Kevin
    Marco....I did not suggest this particular instance was brought on by some nefarious act. Your example of random acts of violence has a clear motive....robbery. I think my last two sentences speak for themselves so I'll just reprint those:

I just want to point out that it is highly unlikely this, or any other instance, is a random act of violence. There is almost always some sort of motive for gun violence.

I thought my point was rather elementary.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

your comment Kevin " I just want to point out that it is highly unlikely this, or any other instance, is a random act of violence. There is almost always some sort of motive for gun violence." suggests to me something "nefarious", the term you use in the earlier part of your post.....in any event, not sure the motive of your post other than to cast suspicion on the victim...just my opinion of course......and to repeat from my comment to Rob, we have been urged to post only facts and I d not see any facts in your post

Administrator

User Info Menu

Marco,

I feel for your son. I too have experienced a gun related hold up/mugging at Ohio State (just off campus) in 1980. I can relate to your son's feelings. Unless you have looked down the barrel of a gun, it is hard to explain and I am sure different for each person. For me, I did not make eye contact with the robber and gave up my wallet without a second thought. I was in college so there wasnt much money in it and other than my student ID and drivers license, my wallet or my life was an easy split second choice. But I never thought it was a motive-less incident, it was a robbery. That is a piss-poor motive, but a motive nevertheless.

Several people have made comments about this tragedy being a "robbery gone bad" when there is no proof of that. Some keep doing that even when the police do not state that as the motive. Chrispy asked directly why the police are not stating that motive. Obviously there is a disconnect for some between fact and speculation.

In your previous comment you mention Kevin's post "suggest that the couple was involved in some bad things". For one thing, it was not a couple but three people involved, and you are making the leap that Kevin was suggesting something nefarious. To me, Kevin was responding to the repeated comments about this being a "robbery gone bad" when the facts at this time do not indicate such a motive.

So for Kevin to point out that gun violence rarely is random, that may open our visitors mind to the fact there may be more to the story and that we do not know all the facts yet. Knowledge is power. Having blinders on and blindly believing speculation is not power. It is the opposite of power.

I cannot remember any gun violence here that has been purely random in nature. There has always been some motive, no matter however stupid or meaningless it may be. Since you cannot list an act of random gun violence other than robbery motives, it would seem Kevin's statement is supported by your comment.

Random acts of gun violence are extremely rare. They may even be non-existent by definition. It takes a person to knowingly pick up a loaded gun and knowingly shooting it in a way intended to harm others. The victim may be random, but the motive is not random.

Other than gun accidents, such as accidental discharge when cleaning or dropping a loaded gun or a person or child getting hold of loaded weapon without knowing it, I cannot think of a case of a random shooting at all. But that would not be considered an act of gun violence, but a unfortunate accident.

As I have stated, since there has been no arrest yet, which would necessitate a motive of one form or another, no one can state what the motive was at this point.

Lets all wait until the police make a statement backed up by official news media confirmation before making comments about the motive behind this tragic event.

User Info Menu

I agree with the last sentence which is why I responded to Kevin for to me there were implications being made......
    Last edited by marco; 06-28-2016 at 06:30 AM.