Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gays and Jamaica

User Info Menu

Re: Gays and Jamaica

Very true cleome.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if I'd call it cultural...no different than some of the US, Canada etc. changing its thinking/tolerance and now laws.

After many, many conversations on this topic here in Negril and just having come back from a very political/business event in Kingston which included heads of state and industry from Jamaica and around the world...the event included the head of JFLAG (Jamaican Forum for Lesbians, All-sexuals and Gays). I'm singling out this person because of the topic of this thread only...to show the thinking/tolerance is changing here also.

User Info Menu

Apartheid South Africa and Nazi Germany are just two of the more recent examples of why we should not excuse man's inhumanity to his fellow man by writing it off as 'culture' or 'belief'. Hatred and discrimination based on sexuality is no different than that based on race or creed. There really are objective standards of human behavior, and fortunately they improve over time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cleome View Post
    I think that we have to respect a culture that is different than ours, Their beliefs might seem outrageous to us, just as our beliefs seem outrageous to them. We have to remember that we can't change their beliefs. It's frustrating, but we have to realize that everyone doesn't agree with each other because of culture.
    I believe everyone is being respectful of their culture? Merely pointing out a perceived injustice is not being disrespectful. People can respectfully disagree. However, advocating and even inciting violence when you disagree with someone...now that's being intolerant and disrespectful. Where would this world be without people calling out for equal rights and justice? Who's the oppressor now?

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Right on, Kevin!

User Info Menu

I don't preach.... here's a short part of a reasoning I had recently.....

One mahn ask me .......Captain............. what you think about the “batty boys" dem?

Me........... "Dem no trouble me...me no trouble dem.....mek them gowan..."

Some think about it....some don't

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    Better off with more intolerance? Just what the world needs......
    Look how the tolerance for unregistered motor bikes and unlicensed drivers has worked.

If parents are tolerant of everything their children do?

Tolerance of everything is chaos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Yes there is a lot to learn about Jamaican culture, and as I grow in understanding the more sense it makes. Just because the world seems to be going one way doesn't mean it is the right way, the best way or a good way to go. Tolerance vs intolerance well, IMO we'd be better off with more intolerance and standing strong for a higher authority, resisting the human penchant of waywardness. I hope Jamaicans stay strong on the matter and the country retains its current perspective.
    really? intolerance will make it all go away? and intolerance will make them straight????

User Info Menu

Well said Lola.

User Info Menu

Except we're not children.