Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gays and Jamaica

User Info Menu

Gays and Jamaica

considering recent event, I thought this interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...f93_story.html

Administrator

User Info Menu

Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Gays and Jamaica

Can you imagine the response if Prime Minster Andrew Holness decreed that trans genders could use any bathroom in Jamaica?

Laugh me laugh

Cap

BTW..JA talk radio is buzzing about this
    Last edited by captaind & Linston; 06-14-2016 at 05:58 PM.

linston@redplate-negril.com

Administrator

User Info Menu

With all the uni-sex bathrooms around the island, there would be no need for a decree. But seriously, he would have to get the anti-sodomy laws revoked before any degree could be made and I dont feel the island is ready for that move.

Latoya Nugent of JFLAG (Jamaica Forum of Lesbians, All-Sexuals and Gays) said in the third link I posted above:

"Security is usually top priority and because a lot of it (events) is done in secrecy and spaces are not so open, the risk is minimised. The promoters take extra precaution," she said.

Nugent spoke, however, of one event, Pride Jamaica, which was held locally last year in an open space.

"There were no security breaches. The police also provided support as they would for any other event," she said.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Interesting read...I've always been interested in this topic... one day ... Hopefully... They will come around.... But in the meantime... I'll still keep coming back to the island I love

User Info Menu

Having listened to reggae long before I had an understanding of Jamaican culture, I was very dismayed to learn about their intolerance. I never thought I'd have to listen to the lyrics of reggae songs closely to make sure they weren't offensive to me or others.

I'm starting to believe that "Respect" and "One Love" are nothing more than slogans. I so want to go on a rant but I don't want to start painting with a broad brush based on my limited experiences.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Marco - thank you for that link. Reading the personal experiences during the attack is difficult...I can't imagine living it.

User Info Menu

you are very welcome

User Info Menu

Yes there is a lot to learn about Jamaican culture, and as I grow in understanding the more sense it makes. Just because the world seems to be going one way doesn't mean it is the right way, the best way or a good way to go. Tolerance vs intolerance well, IMO we'd be better off with more intolerance and standing strong for a higher authority, resisting the human penchant of waywardness. I hope Jamaicans stay strong on the matter and the country retains its current perspective.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Yes there is a lot to learn about Jamaican culture, and as I grow in understanding the more sense it makes. Just because the world seems to be going one way doesn't mean it is the right way, the best way or a good way to go. Tolerance vs intolerance well, IMO we'd be better off with more intolerance and standing strong for a higher authority, resisting the human penchant of waywardness. I hope Jamaicans stay strong on the matter and the country retains its current perspective.
    What do you hope they stay strong on? The fact that being gay and female in Jamaica is ok but being gay and a male is not? IME, having a gay Jamaican female friend, the only issue is gay men. I have observed this after spending days with her in all sorts of settings, just as I have seen numerous locals going off about gay men.

Better off with more intolerance? Just what the world needs......