Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sending in the army?????

User Info Menu

Re: Sending in the army?????

[QUOTE=HarryS;178989] my answers to HarryS' questions
    I'm very curious why the presence of trained, armed military, there for your protection, would be considered scary, frightening, or off-putting? Not scary, very off-putting.
    Their main reason for being there is to protect you! So dem seh
    Do the same feelings occur if it is regular police? Regular police are more concerning to me
    Is it mainly the large rifles? Yes, large rifles operated by human beings of varying emotional stability
    Is it an intrusion into the chill, laid back atmosphere? yes
    Would you continue to go, as-is to Negril right now, but if there is increased military presence, would that deter you? yes and yes
    If so, moreso than the current issues with crime? Yes

Now, that being said, the other thing that occurs to me, is this should also help the locals. perhaps

It's too bad that they didn't start getting the help they need until a tourist was murdered, if it was my community I'd feel that the govt wasn't worried about me, just the tourists and the money they bring in. - We Have a Winner![/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Cameras at the stop lights or cameras on the way in and out of Negril sound good. Even routine stops on way in and out checking drivers license is ok. Having more security prescence good.... But whenever I've seen police out with those big guns it is a very uneasy feeling. Mexico and isreal may have them but I don't choose to travel there...my one love and travel $$ is for beautiful Jamaica. God bless Jamaica, locals, tourists and negrilalholics alike.

User Info Menu

I met 8 soldiers last night... I'm goin to the meeting at CSA tomorrow to listen to the discussion. I'll tell you what, more out of towners this trip than I've met in my other trips combined- Kingston and Ochi. I knowits slow, but the people from out of town definitely have a different "vibe" than the local people just trying to make some money. Interested to hear the info being presented. I met a lively woman today and many folks are simply very worried about how their community is being perceived and the safety of the people and the tourists. People have been a little lore persistent than usual, but I'm having the same great time I've had when I come in April, and I'm getting to play some good dominos!

User Info Menu

We have been in Jamaica with the helicopter gun ships soldiers and such, and compared to the police the locals all seem more happy with them coming in and restoring some order and also cleaning out areas and undesired people................locals and tourist see this at times as things are atleast being taken seriously.

User Info Menu

RJR just reported that soldiers will NOT be patrolling Negril. Police will handle the visible patrols .

The army will be working in the back ground

Cap

linston@redplate-negril.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by captaind & Linston View Post
    RJR just reported that soldiers will NOT be patrolling Negril. Police will handle the visible patrols .

The army will be working in the back ground

Cap
    Whenever someone starts with a flame-throwing topic like "Sending in the army?????", it was sure to conjure up Humvees, long rifles, battle gear, etc. but those that know a little about the runnings realized right from the start that the "Jack Boots" approach to the problem would not materialize immediately over one unfortunate tourist death.

I have seen the soldiers deployed before around Jamaica like in St. Ann and St. Elizabeth and it never rose to a West Kingston garrison level. The Jamaican Government is well aware of the perception of martial law this could portray.

The police do need some assistance and I personally am happy that the soldiers are being brought in to give it.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

many years ago the JDF NCO's had a big PARTY at hedo. They were a great group, lots of fun. several years ago at the MX3 Bob Marley birthday bash a JDF squad stopped by, I bought them all a drink, they also were a bunch of good guys. p.s. RIP Kubba, god bless you.

User Info Menu

The next tourist to be shot or robbed by trained military personnel will be the first. Can't say that about the bad guy with guns , etc...

User Info Menu

Just wondering if any update on this or the general vibe for those who are there often ..

Coming in mid-Sept and trying to get a feel for being out and about .. its been about 10 yrs since I have been there ..

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamman View Post
    Just wondering if any update on this or the general vibe for those who are there often ..

Coming in mid-Sept and trying to get a feel for being out and about .. its been about 10 yrs since I have been there ..
    As CaptD posted above back in June, the Police are stating there is no need for the army to be sent to Negril. Here is a more detailed article about the issue dated June 27th from the Gleaner:

https://proudjamaica.com/no-soldiers...n-resort-town/

We live here and are out and about pretty much daily. Watching Bolt on Sunday after the Western Dog Show was an absolute blast at the Red Dragon!

Have a great time, but of course use caution as you would anywhere. Have a few numbers available for drivers to get around at night. All of the drivers in our Transport section are legally licensed and insured.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!