Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Update on the AED donated to Negril EMS

User Info Menu

Update on the AED donated to Negril EMS

2 weeks ago, the dedicated EMTs and District officers from Negril and Savanna-la-Mar gathered at the Sav Fire Station (most on their off-shift time) to get hands-on practice with the AED donated by Negril.com "boardies" and other friends of Jamaica. The staff work out of both Negril Fire Station and Sav Fire Station.

The Issa Foundation donated the ambulance in Negril.

Ms Shadia Seaton, the District Officer for Negril EMS, related a success story that a tourist who collapsed in Negril and received CPR until the ambulance arrived, was saved by the AED in use at that time. That AED is no longer functioning, unfortunately, but plans are in place to see if it is repairable or can be used as trade-in when a new one is purchased. That AED would then be used in the Ambulance in Sav.

Plans are in place for maintaining and keeping supplies in stock for this AED. Ms. Thompson and Mr Dixon, the Officer in charge of equipment in Sav, tell me the AED isn't needed often, but when it is, they are extremely grateful to everyone who donated for making the equipment available.

Thank you to all who donated and to all who will consider donating again in the future when more supplies are needed.

Name:  EMS 1.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  84.9 KB

Name:  EMS3.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  EMS4.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  88.2 KB

Last edited by Nurse Marcia; 06-23-2016 at 10:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: Update on the AED donated to Negril EMS

Thank You Nurse Marcia!

User Info Menu

Looks like they could use a practice manikin for CPR and AED practice. I wonder if the EMT's amongst us have any sources for used? I'll ask my friends that are volunteers. Another option might be for the Fire/EMT's to see if the big resorts might be interested in an effort to acquire on to train their staff, too. Perhaps the Negril Chamber of Commerce can coordinate.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your post, Marblehead.

I should have explained ... they have the manikins they need for CPR certification. (All the EMT's are CPR certified.) That was not part of this practice session.)

The reason this "Flat Stanley" is used for AED training with this machine is because it completes the circuit for the training modules. There are 6 different scenarios that require the operator to respond appropriately in order for the shock to be delivered. The CPR simulation is so the operators see that 2 minutes of CPR between evaluations for the need for a shock feels like a long time. (If the first shock doesn't work)

User Info Menu

Very helpful and reassuring clarification, Nurse Marcia. You represent the best of your profession in all your posts.
    Maximum respect! --Marblehead
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

Thanks Marblehead. You make me blush.

I often forget to explain things that I understand and forget people are scratching their heads and thinking - what the heck???

I always welcome questions and critique.
    It's how we educate ourselves and others.

User Info Menu

Angels do exist..................thanks

User Info Menu

Excellent and it was nice seeing you as always Nurse Marcia!

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20