Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need wifi in negril

User Info Menu

Help! I need wifi in negril

I've tried everything! I need an external wifi for work that will work with my laptop. Any suggestions? Digicel says their modems will not work.
    Help!!! Thanks in advance. Debbie

User Info Menu

Re: Help! I need wifi in negril

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieMc3 View Post
    I've tried everything! I need an external wifi for work that will work with my laptop. Any suggestions? Digicel says their modems will not work.
    WiFi, by its nature, is external. Internal internet connections are made by Ethernet.

For WiFi, you need a connection to the internet and a WiFi router. Your WiFi router connects to your modem. Your modem connects to your internet source. Your computer connects to the WiFi router's signal. Its not rocket science....
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

Digicel wifi modems transmit standard A/B/G/N band wifi....I don't get the issue....

http://www.digicel4gbroadband.com/en...evice_list.php

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I live in a very remote area of Jamaica, so remote than even 3G cellphone reception can vary. I have a GSM unlocked International phone that turns your phone into a "Hot Spot". I purchase Data Plans from Digicel where I get 2gig for about $12US per month.

I only use my old laptop at the house to connect to the Internet. I do not use my phone to browse at all. I am totally happy with my set up and find that moderate browsing most every day still makes it difficult to use the whole 2gig and if you renew before the month is up, it rolls over and you now have another month to use what you have.

Cheap. Simple. Effective.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RockRobster View Post
    Digicel wifi modems transmit standard A/B/G/N band wifi....I don't get the issue....
    That's what I thought too...good luck. I spent 6 weeks last winter trying to find one of their modems. I repeatedly checked the Digicel stores in Negril, Sav, and three different stores in Mobay. According to the employees in Mobay, nobody had had any for sale for at least 6 months. I even registered online so that they would supposedly deliver one to me on the island, and never heard back from them. I ended up doing the same thing Accompong suggested. Not the fastest, but like he said, " Cheap. Simple. Effective. "

I also tried to contact Digicel after I got back to try to arrange something for next year, and the messages sent to digicel4gbroadband.com never went through.

User Info Menu

I guess you could try FLOW....looks like 10usd for 2gb data....2 stores in Negril...I think they use a "wingle"...

User Info Menu

Unlocked smart phone, hot spot capable, with a good data plan will work. No need to buy an external device, and your current phone might already be unlocked. If you have an Iphone 5 or later you are likely in luck.

The customer service at both Negril and Mega Mart Digicel IME is horrible.

User Info Menu

I switched to T-Mobile here in the states and it worked great down in Jamaica. Can be made into a wireless hotspot as well.

Unlimited 3G Data. No extra charge on your US Line. Free texting also. I believe phone calls cost a small fee, but I dont make many calls at home or abroad.

User Info Menu

I have a spare modem