Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coco versus Rooms Negril for Beach Leg of January Vacation - Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Coco versus Rooms Negril for Beach Leg of January Vacation - Thoughts?

We are currently booked for 6 nights at Coco and 3 nights at Catcha in January. We booked a few months back, and just discovered Coco is having a sale that falls within our dates. Initially I was hoping that we could upgrade our room using the sale rates but appears Coco isn't interested in extending the sale rates to us. While researching the new rates and our options, I discovered Rooms Negril is having a fabulous sale for January as well, and now I'm having second thoughts about Coco. The rate differences are definitely enough to make me take another look at a hotel I wasn't interested in earlier.

So I'm looking for help making a decision. Do we stick with our Coco Superior room reservation or grab an Ocean front room at Rooms Negril? We could pocket the savings and use the money for day trips, meals/drinks, etc. or we also have the option of moving to Sag @ Catcha one night earlier. Certainly there are pros/cons with both hotels, and we don't know enough about their specific locations on the beach to have an opinion about which one is "best".

This is our first trip to Negril and has been on our bucket list for several years. Coco and Catcha were always my "first picks" when I first started researching Negril so do have concerns I'll have second thoughts if I cancel out of Coco altogether. Husband and I are seasoned travelers in early 50's, preferring boutique hotels to big AI's. We plan to use the hotel more as a home base, getting out and about daily.

Should we leave our reservations "as is" or shake things up? What would you do? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recommendations!!

User Info Menu

Re: Coco versus Rooms Negril for Beach Leg of January Vacation - Thoughts?

I would stay with Coco, Rooms is closer to town and a few music Venues (Bourbon Beach) (Roots Bamboo) , so it would be louder there. Coco has really good reviews. I would keep trying to get them to honor their sale price though , or at least upgrade you, that doesn't seem fair if the sale encompasses your travel dates. Can you still cancel without losing any $ and re-book at the sale price? I would also try and tell them i would cancel period and book somewhere else and then they would lose all $ from your booking. It would be in there best interest to honor the sale price.
    Last edited by newfiegirl59; 07-07-2016 at 06:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Could you cancel your Coco room and then re-book a day or 2 later to get the sale price??

User Info Menu

As billndonna mention in the previous post ............. cancel your reservation and rebook with Negrilonestop.com ............ they have a few extra perks with their reservations. Maybe contact Negrilonestop first and ask them about your plans.

User Info Menu

It's a little disheartening when a sale comes up after you book your room, and the hotel won't work with you on giving you a discount. It's happened to me before at another Negril hotel. As billndonna and Captain Oil said, just cancel your reservation at re-book. That's what I did, and the hotel manager even did all the paperwork for me.

Personally, I would stick with Coco. IMO, the overall quality of the hotel (rooms, restaurant, bar) is higher than Rooms.

User Info Menu

I appreciate everyone's comments about Coco, and honestly believe I'll be happiest keeping a reservation there. Actually, what I didn't mention is that we made the original reservations through negrilonestop.com. They've been fabulous to work with and did reach out to Coco on my behalf to try to see if we could get the sale rates. Apparently Coco wouldn't budge with either a room upgrade (and I'm not even sure if there were upgraded rooms available) or to honor the sale rates on our existing room. I believe Coco was made aware that we are considering other properties if we can't get their sale rates, and they didn't even blink an eye. My guess is they know they will sell out, so don't feel there is a need to do us any favors? (Not exactly Minnesota friendly.)

We knew there was a risk of rates going down when we booked early, however wanted to secure specific dates/flights so took the plunge. So if we want to stay at Coco and get sale rates I think our only option would be to cancel and rebook, as suggested. Seems silly to have to play that game, but might have to go that route, knowing that we can always book another hotel if this strategy backfires.

Anyway, thanks for your input. I'll let you know how this all shakes out and promise a trip report.

User Info Menu

I would talk to Coco directly and let them know your concerns.

User Info Menu

Coco has the beach and grounds for your beach stay, large and safe.

User Info Menu

Last nov we lucked into the Sagi at Catcha. It is really nice and so worth the money ( our opinion.) I like saving $$ but I would jump on the Sagi if we ever get another chance.

User Info Menu

CCLP is a well run property that has a large beachfront, two pools(one adult only) and a "hidden" jacuzzi. I'd prefer it over Rooms.
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon