Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Full face snorkel mask

User Info Menu

Full face snorkel mask

Anyone try these new snorkel mask?
    It fits over your entire face.
    I piece , 180 degree viewing, snorkel on top
    You can breath through mouth or nose.

Looks cool

User Info Menu

Re: Full face snorkel mask

I'd avoid them if I were you. If you do get one, do not buy the cheaper "knock-off" models. There are major drawbacks if you are a serious snorkeler; you can't dive with them deeper than 8', because you can't equalize them at all since it's full face. A lot of people have had issues (mi empress included) with the ball valve sticking shut while out on the water, this can induce a situation of extreme panic if unprepared to deal with it in deep water. They also scratch really easily since the lens is polycarbonate, the skirt seal isn't great, and there are some other issues I'm not thinking of.

A good quality (and most importantly well fitted) mask and snorkel are the way to go, IMO. You can deal with issues on the water much easier, and it's a more "bullet proof" system.

User Info Menu

Oh, my....Ok,
    Thanks a lot TAH.
    The photos/videos make them appear to be nice.

It was just a thought.
    Plus, they are not cheap.

User Info Menu

Yeah, we have a very lightly used model here that will just be a dust collector. They do give a nice unobstructed view though, and for surface snorkeling in shallow water they're fine. For anything serious, they just aren't suited (yet at least).

User Info Menu

My son likes it because he can breathe through his nose, but if you have a beard it won't seal and water leaks in the mask quickly.

User Info Menu

I have one from ebay. was about 60.00 love it. It is not suited for free diving and it is for leisure snorkeling. I love not having the salt water around my mouth and the full view.

User Info Menu

We have them and love them.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

mi hate mine.......used twice...paid $70us...first $40US takes it.......lol
    mi did mi usually route one morning with it.....the full view mask is kool.....doesn't leak at all
    but the breathing thingy was a killer........took mi the rest of da day to get mi breathing back to normal after snorkelling.....
    as it really messed mi up without having the regular snorkel to breath through.......
    all the reviews said dem were great....thus mi purchase........big mistake

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Name:  sunset w jamaica type (Medium).jpg
Views: 347
Size:  63.7 KB
    you still talk funny, but if I remember you had a accent ??

( Haha just kiddin mi freind, how you are ? )
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Hey Rambo, Mi good mon.
    Always good to see your name.

That story about the blood was one of the best on the board.

I have always been careful around the Cliffs and those rocks trying to climb out.

Likkle more

Thanks bub.