Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: One of my good friends posted a link to a movie about my home, Accompong Town.

User Info Menu

One of my good friends posted a link to a movie about my home, Accompong Town.

I hope you enjoy this movie about Jamaica's History and especially my hometown Accompong Town.
    http://www.mediathek.at/atom/018AAAB...00484-0189A3E5
    Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Re: One of my good friends posted a link to a movie about my home, Accompong Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Accompong View Post
    I hope you enjoy this movie about Jamaica's History and especially my hometown Accompong Town.
    http://www.mediathek.at/atom/018AAAB...00484-0189A3E5
    Peace and Guidance
    You might also like to look at another movie made by a Jamaican native:
    Akwantu, The Journey.
    I find the history of Accompong Maroons amazing and fascinating. You should be so proud of your heritage.
    My last trip to the north coast I was surprised and disappointed at how many locals had no idea what I was talking about.
    Last edited by Anabeth; 07-17-2016 at 09:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: One of my good friends posted a link to a movie about my home, Accompong Town.

Wow! Very cool video.

I must say that I have great respect for your people and that I had the unique experience of visiting Accompong Town just one week ago. I have read the history of the Maroons and I was instantly impressed. So much so that I made it a priority on my latest trip to Jamaica to see the Cockpit Country and visit both Maroon Town and Accompong Town. It was quite a journey, but very well worth it. I went south from Mo Bay to Johns Hall, then to Maroon Town and on to Accompong. It was at Accompong that I had the pleasure of meeting Mystic Bowie. I found him at the school where he was supervising a summer camp for the local children. He was more than willing to show me around and tell me about the summer camp. He showed me a classroom where the local Bush Doctor was teaching the children about local plants and their uses; he showed me a classroom where the children were learning how to make Maroon drums (and he said each child will make a drum before the end of the camp); he showed me a classroom where the children were learning about Maroon history. All very cool stuff - Mystic Bowie is ensuring the next generation knows their history! He then showed me the library he built next to the school using the money earned from his music. Wow - I was so very impressed with this man. I was told that he is like a "mayor" in Accompong, I can see why!

One more thing - The complete and total lack of crime (even though there are no police) in your community speaks volumes about your people...
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul,
    Wisdom is much better than silver and gold"
    The Legend

User Info Menu

Name:  Accompong.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  97.9 KBName:  Bush Doctor.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  95.3 KBName:  Mystic Bowie.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  92.0 KB
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul,
    Wisdom is much better than silver and gold"
    The Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Mike View Post
    Wow! Very cool video.

I must say that I have great respect for your people and that I had the unique experience of visiting Accompong Town just one week ago. I have read the history of the Maroons and I was instantly impressed. So much so that I made it a priority on my latest trip to Jamaica to see the Cockpit Country and visit both Maroon Town and Accompong Town. It was quite a journey, but very well worth it. I went south from Mo Bay to Johns Hall, then to Maroon Town and on to Accompong. It was at Accompong that I had the pleasure of meeting Mystic Bowie. I found him at the school where he was supervising a summer camp for the local children. He was more than willing to show me around and tell me about the summer camp. He showed me a classroom where the local Bush Doctor was teaching the children about local plants and their uses; he showed me a classroom where the children were learning how to make Maroon drums (and he said each child will make a drum before the end of the camp); he showed me a classroom where the children were learning about Maroon history. All very cool stuff - Mystic Bowie is ensuring the next generation knows their history! He then showed me the library he built next to the school using the money earned from his music. Wow - I was so very impressed with this man. I was told that he is like a "mayor" in Accompong, I can see why!

One more thing - The complete and total lack of crime (even though there are no police) in your community speaks volumes about your people...
    Thanks Mighty Mike. Mystic Bowie is perhaps the finest Jamaican (or at least within the top three) that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. One of the others would definitely be Clive "Marshall" Robb whose picture I use as an avatar. I am not of Maroon blood heritage as I am just an adventurer who had the good fortune to stumble upon Accompong Town about 25 years ago and was mutually adopted by the Maroon family. I have seen many births and deaths but the spirit of family has been constant. Although descendant of fierce warriors, the Maroons have pulled together to live in near harmony when it comes to a society although politrix and some bad mind has opened some tears in the fabric as of late. Still no need for outside intervention as they have been perfectly able to handle matters without a police presence but are not hesitant to summon them if needed.

I don't know how authentic a community you found Maroon Town to be as most of the Maroons I know say that there are few blood-related Maroons there and most of the community consists of outsiders who capitalize on the name Maroon Town to lure visitors. I would like you to consider going to Flagstaff on a future visit. Flagstaff is where the main Maroon Community lived under Accompong's brother the Great Cudjoe's leadership and flourished until the end of the Second Maroon War when many of the fighters were lured onto an English ship later bound for Nova Scotia and finally back to Africa. Daniel Grizzle is a community leader there and he can help you learn more about the Maroon heritage. There is a walking trail from Flagstaff to Accompong Town being developed. Here is a Facebook link for some additional information https://www.facebook.com/TrelawnyTow...MaroonCouncil/

I am glad you enjoyed visiting Accompong Town as it will be forever where my heart is living.
    Respect!
    Peace and Guidance

You might also like to look at another movie made by a Jamaican native:
    Akwantu, The Journey.
    I find the history of Accompong Maroons amazing and fascinating. You should be so proud of your heritage.
    My last trip to the north coast I was surprised and disappointed at how many locals had no idea what I was talking about.
    Anabeth. I was in Accompong Town when Roy Anderson's "Akwantu, the Journey" was given a private screening to the town's residents. Reaction seemed mixed at best. Many felt as if it was just a re-hash of previously presented "facts" of which there is actually little. Some liked it to a greater degree but few seemed impressed by it. Personally, I thought little of it had to do with the Accompong Maroons mainly with other communities like Moore Town and Charles Town. It was worth the watch but not as good as it could have been. That was the opinion of many of my closest Maroon friends as well.

Thanks for bringing it up. Here is a link for more on Akwantu. http://akwantuthemovie.com/index.html

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Excellent knowledge in the first Video.
    Cudjoe and Nanny!!
    The Maroons!!!
    The original/Originator of camouflage.

The Accompong Anniversary Celebration of Freedom.
    When they were dancing, I got into/felt the spirit and danced in my chair.

Sitting here in my office.

like I was on the Island, right there with my brothers and sisters.
    What a place.
    Must remember to spread the White Rum.

Love, love loved the crystal /glass balls to observe the enemy (English)

Thank you
    Last edited by Markospoon; 07-20-2016 at 01:30 PM.

User Info Menu

this is so fascinating.. thanks for posting. Accompong Town is still on my bucket list.. within the next 2 years..