Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exchange rates and saving money

User Info Menu

Exchange rates and saving money

When I was there in April, I did as I always do - exchanged a bunch of money, with the expectation that I'll save a bit of cash using the local currency. However, it sure didn't seem that way and the more I think about it, I think that ship has sailed.

More and more menus are now in USD, and the conversions from USD to JMD are not favorable. It seems to me it used to go the other way - menus in JMD, and the conversion to USD is where you got screwed, hence the need to have local currency - but now it appears to be happening the other way.

Have meals in general also gotten more expensive when I wasn't paying attention? Sure, there's box lunches and patties on the beach and other bargains, but I found myself spending more on restaurant meals this last reach than ever before.

User Info Menu

Re: Exchange rates and saving money

I carry both, do the math and pay with whatever provides the best value. My experience was polar opposite and I did quite well using JMD during my April trip. The US dollar does have it's place, however the local currency is the way to go at most places. I will give a shout out to Hi-Lo for offering a competitive credit card rate. I will also give a shout out to Hi-Lo for providing the most consistent customer service I have experienced in Negril.

User Info Menu

Yes food prices up at some higher end establishments .............. but that is the same at home also. However MOST of the time it was a better deal to use $JA then $US when we were there this April. Did not do a converse calculation at every stop so can not say for sure about every location.

Here is my money changing / money saving ideas from an earlier post http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...What-are-yours

Find a way to cheaply convert your US dollars into Jamaican dollars and pay for most things in Jamaican dollars. ATM's charge a service charge which can vary but $5 US or more per transaction is not unheard of. Your bank may charge a ATM fee AND a foreign transaction fee which can run from zero to 15%. The exchange rate you get at a restaurant or bar will always be less then a Bank or Cambio. For example, beers on the beach can cost $150 to $400 Jamaican But you only have US dollars? They will charge you $1.50 to $4.00US. Might not seem like much, but with an exchange rate of $115 JA to $1US you just paid $230JA for a $200JA beer. Total those savings and it is a easy 15% - 25% savings just in simple currency management.

If you ask around there are plenty of good, honest people or establishments who will change money at a very good rate. If you have a favorite driver they will know someone who can help you with $$$. If they don't offer a competitive rate walk away and find another. If you are not comfortable with the situation just walk away. This not only saves some time and the hassle of going to town but it keeps your Debit card safe from hacking issues. That issue is discussed at length in another thread http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...ly-upon-return!!

Our personal routine is to change enough money on the ride from the airport to last us 4-5 days. Then we know people who supply that same service without having to go to town. No taxi ride, no ATM fees, no hassle from people hanging around the ATMs, no taxi ride back, no need to leave the beach and just as good a rate as at the Cambios.
    Last edited by Captain Oil; 07-29-2016 at 07:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Oil View Post
    For example, beers on the beach can cost $150 to $400 Jamaican But you only have US dollars? They will charge you $1.50 to $4.00US. Might not seem like much, but with an exchange rate of $115 JA to $1US you just paid $230JA for a $200JA beer. Total those savings and it is a easy 15% - 25% savings just in simple currency management.
    Great point. On the opposite side, I found that if smaller restaurants or vendors price things in USD, they will sometimes accept an even conversion to JA currency. For example, if the bill comes to $10 USD, I will ask if they will accept $1000JA. Typically, they will say yes, which works out in my favor. Of course, larger places will pull out a calculator or use a POS system to convert your bill to JA, at their own exchange rate.

User Info Menu

i agree that in the past it was best to use J. lately it appears that credit card is a good way to go. also i will ask what they use for exchange rate is at their place and sometimes you get less for the J than the typical conversion so i use American

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_D View Post
    Great point. On the opposite side, I found that if smaller restaurants or vendors price things in USD, they will sometimes accept an even conversion to JA currency. For example, if the bill comes to $10 USD, I will ask if they will accept $1000JA. Typically, they will say yes, which works out in my favor. Of course, larger places will pull out a calculator or use a POS system to convert your bill to JA, at their own exchange rate.
    Maybe it is only me but I find "nickle and dime-ing" a small vendor or restaurant who already has an enormous task of staying open a buck or two here and there not how I like to roll. I pay for everything in Jamaican Dollars just like I use US dollars here in Florida and not Euros. I don't bargain for meals. If I don't like the price quoted, I don't buy the meal. If I don't see a price, I ask first.

These small vendors and restaurants only price some items in US dollars to attract the tourist who doesn't want to deal with Jamaican currency. That $10 bill also should have a GCT tax component so giving them $1000J instead of @ $1250J what they are asking puts less than $800J in their pocket.

Change your money into Jamaican and don't be so lazy as to not learn the local currency, customs and runnings. After all, being a "likkle" Jamaican on your vacation is part of the experience.

Not an indictment of you Mike_D as I know from reading you do things right. I am just pointing out that a few pennies or dollars mean a lot more to Jamaican vendors than they do to me. I am not a tight wad but I am also not foolish with my money either.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

You might take a look at this thread. My experience was that using the ATM was slightly cheaper. Around $10. US difference for my entire trip, though, so not a big deal either way.

http://negril.com/forum/showthread.php/15716-ATM-Fees

People talk all the time about exchange rates, but the fact is that you are never going to do better than the interbank rate plus a modest fee. Whether the fee is reflected in an exchange rate with a bit of a spread from the interbank rate (as cambios all do) or whether you see the fee as a direct charge, it's in there somewhere.

Personally, I avoid using a credit card when I travel because I got tired of the reissue that occurs when I get home and someone is still trying to make charges to my account.

And I also am uncomfortable asking for a discount when the financial balance is so much in my favor. But we've been around and around on that topic many times.
    Last edited by wrtiii; 07-29-2016 at 10:26 AM.

User Info Menu

always pay in Jamaican dollars.....nuthin more to add

todays exchange rate $122.50 at HiLo Fox Trader

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

And the interbank rate as of a few minutes ago was 126.623. So there you have it.

User Info Menu

I always carry both US$ and J$. If the prices are posted in US I pay US. If the prices are listed in J I pay J. Simple, easy, and no conversion.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4