Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations

User Info Menu

Re: Recommendations

Ratty2, AI option or not, I would remind the young adults to be cautious, trust their instincts, and not be overly trusting of strangers. (Whether in Jamaica or at home). Trust is earned, and it is wrong to extend your trust to a person in a measure that exceeds your knowledge of that person. And them tell them to have fun! Perhaps one of the workers at a small Jamaican (non-AI) hotel could be a great resource for them.
    I think a group of three young adults would be alright in Negril without the AI option, and they might enjoy the day to day adventure of finding new places to dine and spend their time.
    I have fond memories from my younger days in Negril of such things as waiting to hear the horn of the ice truck to run and buy a piece of ice for my beer cooler, (not every shop had cold beer back in those days, unless they too got some ice), and walks to the little shops to buy supplies, and the satisfaction of finding a little cook shop with amazing Jamaican food. So many times I was told not to eat the "tourist food". With an AI option, I would not have had many of those great memories.

User Info Menu

we all know what they say about opinions here's mine as a traveler since 74. yes a 19 year old can be overseas fighting for their country and in most cases the environment has some structure. i would go with grand pineapple in case they will feel safer hanging out there. if they want to venture out they can do that also.
    this is not the Negril of 40 years ago when i started visiting . many in Negril have become americanized and many but not all are not the kind,sweet gentle people of years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Btw, drinking age in Jamaica is 18...
    Its not the drinking age at issue. Some hotels refuse under-21's because they don't want spring-breakers.....especially all-inclusive's...
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

mi wasn't most older when mi first landed in Jamaica when mi was a kid.....
    first it was with a bunch of people from Amway where everything including food was paid for in advance...so that made it easy
    second time was Hedo II when it was all single people....which also made it easy......
    and I didn't have any problems cause mi made it easy for myself the first couple of times cause everything was paid for......
    mi biggest fear would be if they were to run out of money.....they be in for a horrible vacation...
    and most young kids can't always be good with money...some are....some aren't......
    so overall mi would concur that an AI type place wouldn't be a bad idea at all.....cause everything is paid for.....
    on future trips once they get a feel for the runnings......then dem be okay......but the first time out of the gate...maybe not
    so if dem were to get an AI or place where mostly all the meals and drinks are included.....it make it the easiest for dem...
    just mi two cents.......hey they could of been traveling since they were in grade school so this could be for not with da blah blah blah......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Have you considered Crystal Waters? Small place with 10 villas, 1, 2 or three bedroom, located adjacent to Margaritaville, but very quiet, extremely well ran operation. There is a housekeeper with each unit that keeps the place spotless, but will also buy the food and prepare breakfast and dinner if requested. That means the visitor is not out having to go out find every meal. We ate in for every breakfast, and most dinners, leftovers for lunch some days, but tried other places a few times too. I felt like I had been a guest in someone's home. I am sure they will want to explore Negril, but also have a home base that is convenient and safe. Negril Tree House has a great beach bar two doors up, and also Margaritaville next door for a quick safe place for after dark fun. Of course, they can go anywhere if they feel adventurous, but Crystal Waters is a great blend of a AI safe place, but the full dose of the real Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    mi biggest fear would be if they were to run out of money.....they be in for a horrible vacation...
    and most young kids can't always be good with money...some are....some aren't.....
    If this is a concern, I would propose that an ATM card with a low daily limit would be an solution. If they can withdraw only a certain amount per day, the budgeting is partly done for them, and they couldn't blow it all at once.

User Info Menu

Grand Pineapple is a great suggestion and as for the AI's down on Bloody Bay I would say RIU Club.

User Info Menu

I would say one of the mid-range hotels with an A/I plan would be a good bet. I second Merrill's as an option because there are 3 properties, I think you can eat at any of them, and their packages are inexpensive enough that if they want to explore dining on the beach, they can. We did our first trip to Jamaica at Couples Ochi for our honeymoon and the next year went to what was then Negril Inn. It was A/I, but we ended up eating most breakfasts outside so we could get ackee and saltfish. Back in those days, the owners of the then-Negril Inn were Chinese and most of the food was American-style Chinese. That was in like 1987.

User Info Menu

Thank you. Great advice

User Info Menu

Thank you for this reply. Good option