Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Trip Report-Part 2-The Beach

User Info Menu

Short Trip Report-Part 2-The Beach

I have been walking 7 Mile Beach for the last....30 years? Yikes.....

Anyway, things change, as always. For me, the change on the beach was a bit sad. A few vendors are gone from Earth and the one I miss the most is Neville, the Patty Man. He was a hard-worker, always pleasant, always fair. I will forever regret not taking him up on his invitation to come to his yard and help/watch him prepare the patties before dawn...Others are gone as well, although some may not have departed...I did not see MANY of the regular beach characters and hope all is well.

Jem, the FRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIT lady is still there. I made my son pick up her head basket and put it upon her head and he was amazed at how much it weighed. Which, was nothing compared to making him carry her handbag of fruit, coconuts, etc...for a few stops down the beach. He learned a few things about hard life and heavy lifting....

It seems, for the most part, there is far more beach area than in August 2013. The beach area around Travellers had increased, although they need to do a final cover up over their sandbags and plant some seagrass upon them. Its a bit....unsightly....

Many places on the beach were closed due to the lack of business, even a few days after ATI....there are squatters in the old Tidewater and they are friendly and just trying to make a go of life. Ice cold RS and a decent no-pressure vibe in the front of the abandoned beach bar....

There were hardly any beach higglers/vendors. So very few. Half were the old-time crew like Jem, the pastry guy, Neville's replacement and a few others. The other half were a mix of children trying to sell choco for "school" and desperate folks trying to sell stalks of aloe or whatever they found that morning. The non-regulars were also a mix of non-aggressive and extra-aggressive. One guy, who I never saw before, tried engaging us with the usual "snorkeling, parasailing, sunset cruise" chant and we just smiled and kept walking. He replied "You f-ing people should just go to Mexico. You are weird *******s" I then spun and told him in Spanish to do some unspeakable things with a goat. Then I told him in English that just because I don't want his services is no cause to insult me. He told me to go f-myself. I told him that was a physical impossibility, but I would be pleased to see if he could do it to himself. When he realized I wasn't going to take his ****e, he ducked his head and mumbled up north on the beach. My kids felt sorry for the another poor guy trying to sell us the same sad aloe stalk everyday, and I probably should have bought him a lunch. My bad, there. Overall, the beach was exceedingly quiet, almost deserted, on the south end. There was some parasailing towards TreeHouse.

Now for the best and oddest news regarding the beach......THERE ARE NO MORE JET SKIS!

That's right. Although we saw a few way back in the trees from the beach, we did not see, at any time, any jet ski operating. No more aggro jet ski hawkers! And no more jet ski noise! OMG!!!!!!!!

We had drinks at Woodstock. Nice bar. Classy, even.

Lunch at Alfred's Ocean Palace was great, as always. Don't miss the fish and chips.

The water was quite warm. We only saw one baby stingray and precious few fish. A couple of rogue starfish. We didn't take a snorkel trip, but the off-beach snorkeling has become.....a waste of time. Nothing to see.

We ate lunch at the place with the plastic chairs on ropes....Sun Beach? Very reasonably priced with good service and good food. We enjoyed that place....

I didn't sense the desperation on the beach that occurs in August, but that was probably because I came two days after ATI...

The weather was great the entire time. Never too hot or too humid. After day 3 it rained every day between 2 and 4pm. As it always does in summer!

Overall, I think the beach has improved since 2013, both in size and in reduction of aggravation from higglers/jet skis.

Next-Part 3-The Cliffs
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

Re: Short Trip Report-Part 2-The Beach

very nice report. I enjoyed it and your hotel one too.

User Info Menu

Sad to hear about the jet skis. maybe soon come.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reports Rock, enjoying your observations.

Jaherring, possible way to get your Negril jet ski fix..
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  41.6 KB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaherring View Post
    Sad to hear about the jet skis. maybe soon come.
    You are kidding me, yes?

The jet skis were noise pollution, sight pollution, water pollution and the vendors were aggro to the max. There were also fights among the two different jet ski factions and plenty of allegations of hard drug dealing. Not to mention the fact that the jet skis were of dubious origin. They were essentially run by gangs. That is why they aren't on the beach anymore. Negril swept them out. I, for one, hope they stay out. Paddleboarders and parasailers.....and a nice quiet beach....

User Info Menu

Also, another thing missing from the beach was any evidence of the Negril Marine Police. Although, during a visit to the Negril Guardhouse, I saw both of the Negril Marine Police in black SWAT gear preparing for ground-based crime interdiction....many of the JCF in Negril now are not permanently stationed in Negril but are on loan/assignment from Sav.....in fact, I didn't meet a DC who wasn't garrisoned at Sav...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RockRobster View Post
    ...Not to mention the fact that the jet skis were of dubious origin. They were essentially run by gangs. That is why they aren't on the beach anymore. Negril swept them out. I, for one, hope they stay out. Paddleboarders and parasailers.....and a nice quiet beach....
    Quote Originally Posted by RockRobster View Post
    Also, another thing missing from the beach was any evidence of the Negril Marine Police. Although, during a visit to the Negril Guardhouse, I saw both of the Negril Marine Police in black SWAT gear preparing for ground-based crime interdiction....many of the JCF in Negril now are not permanently stationed in Negril but are on loan/assignment from Sav.....in fact, I didn't meet a DC who wasn't garrisoned at Sav...
    Some information needs to be corrected here. The Negril rumor mill is strong.

Actually, there is no current ban on jetskis anywhere on the island, even Negril, as long as the new regulations are met. The jetskis were never "swept out". After two tragic events, one involving a tourist killing two Jamaican children on the beach in Ochi and a tourist being killed in the water in Negril, a temporary ban was put into place to improve jetski safety regulations. New regulations were implemented island wide and the ban was lifted about two years ago.

The regulations required higher insurance limits as well as fixed launching areas and distance from the beach while operating. The legal jetski vendors got together and decided not to pursue the jetski operations as the new regulations would eat up their already small profit margins. The concept of "gangs" had nothing to do with anything and allegations are not facts. The fact there are no jetskis is purely an economic decision by the jetski operations.

The Marine Police are often reassigned inland to help patrol when things get busy in Negril. Coming off of the Dream Weekend and Emancipendence, the first week of August, the Marine Police were once again reassigned inland during this time. This past Sunday the Marine Police were back on the water patrolling.

And while the expansion of the Negril Police Station comes to an end, the Negril police will once again be operating out of the new Station. These improvements have been long overdue. With the addition of some 50 new officers assigned to Negril, the improvements will be welcome by all the new DCs.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

^^^ Glad to hear! Thanks Rob!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

The jet ski guy we rented from close to Grand Pineapple was not a thug....nor did he ever try to sell us drugs or anything else. He was just a nice guy trying to make an honest living.

User Info Menu

I always post this when Jet Skis are mentioned....sorry.

Name:  jet ski bearing down.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  84.1 KB