Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to figure out the cell phone thing...

User Info Menu

Re: Trying to figure out the cell phone thing...

Just an FYI if you have Verizon as a carrier you can do an international plan that is $10/24 hour period and you can use your current data, text and talk plan. I did this when we went to London and loved it because it is a 24 hour period so if you don't use it a day you don't get charge. Plus, then I had data if I needed and didn't have to purchase hotel WIFI.

User Info Menu

With a Digicel sim you can get a 7 day data plan for less than $2 US per day.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

yeah use an unlocked quad phone in Jamaica.....you can buy dem in N America and bring dem down
    buy GSM phones that use like AT&T or T-mobile etc and you can unlock them yourselves by getting the codes on Ebay.......
    quad means they can use either Digicel or FLo network.......or buy a phone in Jamaica as they are cheap enuff.......
    Digicel is the carrier to use....though nothing wrong with Flo except der signal weak in some areas..
    Digicel had a special this Summer and you could get a Sim for a likkle over $300J's....normally they are almost $600J's
    the Flo sim cards are only $300J........but locals hate chatting with you since you can burn up all der Digicel credits..

most locals and tourist put credit on der phone and then select the plan dem want so der data on the phone for FB, Whatsapp, etc
    you have 2 different 7 day plans currently on Digicel....$650J for 1GB or $350J for a 500GB...mi find the 500GB is plenty for mi..
    a lot of locals like the 2 day plans.......dem like $130J's for quite a bit of data.........so most choose dat......
    of course you can add International calling too...but seriously if you are only going to make some brief internationals calls....
    you don't need the international plan.......international are for those that have to chat a lot........a real lot....ha ha

dat mi 2 cents.......or mi 2J dollars worth......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

If you have Sprint..the international plan is free..20 cents a minute incoming and outgoing..unlimited texts..so I gave up my Digicel phone...

User Info Menu

Big ups and respect for everyone's advise and or 2j. Been here since Saturday and was wondering and laughing at myself why I even worried. Using an iPhone 6 and as was able to just put a digicel sim in. For loaded plan less than 10 us. The funny thing is I have pretty much unplugged, occasionally in the morning or evening hitting up the message boards a Likkle, but haven't had need for the phone....not worried about home, don't wanna know.
    Picked the perfect place to stay for this reach. Everthing I could need is within reach,a few steps from the gate lovin the life these past few days whether it be perched on the cliff, walking the road to miyard, or out past the light house for some patties. Only thing can't do is snorkel the wata not cooperating.Not sure if that will happen this reach. A Likkle sad but really no problem.
    Just remembered one of you guys is big on snorkeling, marko or markospoon? Any insight on this? I am assuming this time of year, these water conditions are almost constant...but one can always hope, stranger things have happened lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    I bought a Jamaica Digisel phone for about 50 bucks. Put a new sim in each year for 10 bucks add in some minutes for more bucks.
    I use it for taxis...I call you when I finish dinner. 21st Century...I love it.
    Yes sir

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Anabeth View Post
    Only thing can't do is snorkel the wata not cooperating.Not sure if that will happen this reach. A Likkle sad but really no problem.
    Just remembered one of you guys is big on snorkeling, marko or markospoon? Any insight on this? I am assuming this time of year, these water conditions are almost constant...but one can always hope, stranger things have happened lol.
    yeah the snorkeling was great all Summer up to the middle of August when mi left and only one day mi couldn't go in..........
    with the Tropical Storms and Hurricanes that go thru the Caribbean later part of August thru beginning of October the wata probably gets iffy.....
    mi personally usually not in Jamaica during this time of year cause mi have enuff in Florida to worry about......lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20