Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snorkeling question...Fins/flippers

User Info Menu

Snorkeling question...Fins/flippers

it's been a while since I have gone snorkeling. My 9 year old daughter is now old enough to go. I can't remember whether the boats that take you from the beach have flippers/fins available. Can anyone remind me if the boats have them and the variety of sizes. Thanks all.

User Info Menu

Re: Snorkeling question...Fins/flippers

They definitely have snorkel gear available.

User Info Menu

Well, if I were you I'd get her fitted with flippers in the states (at a diving shop) and carry them down with you.
    Also, I would have her use a life vest (they are designed for snorkeling, deflated). So if she get into trouble she can
    inflate the vest. Same goes for the mask....don't cut corners.

User Info Menu

Completely agree with Papa Georgie...The $50 or so we spent on decent snorkel gear was money well spent. No poor fitting masks, leaky snorkels, or fins that fall off. And, it doesn't take up too much room in our luggage.

User Info Menu

yeah mi agree on getting a snorkel and mask in N America and carry it down.....money well spent
    as far as fins....it's salt wata so you float easy so surface snorkeling without fins is fine unless you want to swim to the bottom....
    and just a regular budget snorkel or mask set is fine since it only for vacation....so no need to go out and buy the most expensive set....
    for mi.....mi snorkel everyday on the Cliffs so mi mask and snorkel are a step up from the budget sets....mi don't use fins

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Definately recommend buying them at home and bringing them with you use them the whole time you are there and give them away or barter with them for a free trip to the reef. All the boats have them but nothing beats having your own gear that fits right. A leaky mask will ruin a good snorkeling trip real fast

User Info Menu

A few years back I picked up a decent set of snorkeling gear for my wife and I at BJ's Warehouse Club. They are made by U.S. Divers (the recreational arm of Aqualung, of Jacques Cousteau fame) and are holding up really well. The same sets are sold at dive shops. I think I paid ~$35 US each.

If you have a big nose (like I do) try the mask on first. If you've had a hard time in the past finding equipment that fits, then it pays to go to a dive shop and get fitted.

Edit: BJ's also had kids versions, as well as adult sizes

User Info Menu

Marko, I don't say this to argue, but I think it's a very bad idea to encourage people to snorkel in the ocean without fins. Certain areas are fine, and if sea conditions are good most people would probably be fine. Hit a current, get a cramp, or a panic attack and fins are a true life saver. Fins are important, especially if you're relatively inexperienced.

User Info Menu

The first year we went my wife and I bought mask and snorkel sets off Amazon, some nice water shoes from REI, and some inflatable pool noodles. Last year we bought some short fins and I feel like it improved the experience. We snorkeled on the cliffs and there was little to no current. I felt safe without fins but if you were out in the open water it could be a problem. I wouldn't rely on the equipment available on the boats. Or maybe buy your own mask and snorkel and use their fins. We were fine with the fins we got from Amazon but going to a dive shop would be even better. I just didn't want to drive 30 minutes each way to the closest dive shop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TAH View Post
    Marko, I don't say this to argue, but I think it's a very bad idea to encourage people to snorkel in the ocean without fins. Certain areas are fine, and if sea conditions are good most people would probably be fine. Hit a current, get a cramp, or a panic attack and fins are a true life saver. Fins are important, especially if you're relatively inexperienced.
    Thanks for that, TAH.
    I don't usually like to use my fins, but you've made me rethink that.