Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tourism Minister invites ideas!

User Info Menu

Re: Tourism Minister invites ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Slightly Stoopid View Post
    4 words -

Reggae Hall Of Fame
    great idea

[/url]

User Info Menu

Agree with everyone else about trash and vendors. My late husband and I stopped going to 7 mile beach because of the vendors, once he learned who the "designated guy" was at each hotel (and there always seems to be one). We'd have our wrists grabbed and reggae bracelets tied on them, then money demanded. This is a hold-up, not a vendor. This MUST be enforced. It is no longer "local charm." And we went to Negril 13 times.

I would like to see government subsidies and education for hoteliers to bring their properties up to minimal 1st world standards. This doesn't mean everything has to be lavish. It does mean air conditioning (mini-splits make this easier), clean rooms, towels in decent condition, adequate hot water and water pressure, keeping bathrooms in good repair and eliminating mildew in bathrooms as much as possible. We used to go to T-Water in the early 1990s and that is my idea of the perfect hotel -- friendly staff, good food, clean comfortable rooms -- at a good price. I know it's hard keeping up a hotel in the tropics. But with Cuba about to become serious competition, Negril has to decide what it is and find a balance between the boho vibe of yesteryear and what today's consumers want. All I can do is tell you what would bring me back to Negril, even alone now...because Negril always healed my soul. A week of sitting under a tree, looking at the water, drinking Ting and Dirty Bananas, eating ackee and saltfish with dumpling for breakfast and grilled snapper with cabbage and rice and peas, sleeping in a cool, comfortable room with the sound of the tree frogs outside my door, a pool for when I get too many jellyfish stings, the soft Caribbean water, and sunset at the end of the day...I would go narcoleptic...go to sleep at the drop of a hat, because I always arrived in Negril exhausted and always came home healed.

I want to be able to take a beach walk alone without being hassled by rentas seeing a 61-year-old overweight woman and thinking dollar signs or vendors seeing vulnerability. I want to be able to sit at a bar and have a drink and chat with friendly locals and tourists without worrying about having something slipped into my drink. I know I am not "yardie." I know I'm a tourist, and I treat people well when I'm there. All I ask is that I not be taken advantage of.

There's a lot that the government could do to help business owners on all these fronts.
    Last edited by hackwriter; 09-24-2016 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I welcome the law enforcement presence that I saw on the beach last month. The hassle was nearly non-existent and vibe was great.

User Info Menu

I've only been to Negril once, and we will be making our second trip in less than 3 weeks. As a relative newcomer, I don't have a lot to offer, though I can say that I agree with all points made in this thread so far... Great ideas as far as litter, vendors, safety, Reggae Hall of Fame (Yes!). I loved Negril so much that as soon as we got home this past February, I was online booking flights and making reservations to come back for my birthday in October. There is so much good about the island, but I can say that I was disappointed in how much litter there was- Jamaica is such a beautiful place, it's a shame that there's so much trash laying around. The vendors weren't bad when we were there in February, but I've heard tales of people who weren't so lucky. I read the news, I'm worried about safety especially at night, but even in the daytime. I have noticed that when I tell people we are coming to Jamaica, they are either in awe because they've never been there, or they tell us to be sure and not leave the hotel grounds because it's not *safe* to do so. Well, we do not stay at all-inclusive's, and we certainly did not stay on the hotel grounds last visit and don't intend to stay on the grounds this visit either, but we do make a conscious effort to be smart about where we go and what we do. I expect to have to be vigilant and aware of my surroundings when in big cities, but with the vibe and the relatively small size of the island, I would think that it would be a lot more carefree in Jamaica than it is.

I'll see if I don't come up with any better ideas after our trip next month.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah... Sidewalks!!! We love to get out and explore on foot. Some sort of a pedestrian lane if not a full fledged sidewalk along the cliffs side of town would be fabulous! You really have to take your life in your hands sometimes on that roadway- I don't know how they could make the roadway any wider or add a sidewalk, but it would be great if they could/would.

User Info Menu

Hey Rob I know we talked about this before. To help protect the fish on the reefs, they should have an organized Lion Fish Hunt and fish fry. Educate on how to safely handle, clean and prepare these fish to eat. They do taste very good and there are way too many of these invasive fish. I think it would be a lot of fun and help save the other reef fish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Toban View Post
    Hey Rob I know we talked about this before. To help protect the fish on the reefs, they should have an organized Lion Fish Hunt and fish fry. Educate on how to safely handle, clean and prepare these fish to eat. They do taste very good and there are way too many of these invasive fish. I think it would be a lot of fun and help save the other reef fish.
    Yeah, This, so much this, especially to protect the young of other fish which is what the lionfish eat. They can lay up to 2 million eggs a year, so they are a problem! And especially moreso if they are tasty. I have them on my list to try next reach, most likely in garlic sauce.

~Moose
    Mi Irie

~Just my two cents worth - I mostly only comment on places I've seen and or eaten at personally.

User Info Menu

West End road made into a one way road, with sidewalk and streetlights. A return loop would have to be built, maybe not easy or cheap, but in the long run the best thing to do.
    Regarding the trash situation, a deposit should be charged on every beverage container. The deposit should be high enough that someone will pick up any littered containers for some cash. This would also reduce the horrible practice of burning of plastic. Absolutely the right thing to do, na tru?

User Info Menu

Some way to thin out the BS hustlers. The guys/ladies walking the beach selling actual goods (art, music, fruit, cakes, juices, etc) are fine and always welcome; but the guys with bracelets, begging beers and begging money can become trying. Also getting a handle on the sex trade would be great. As a frequent solo traveler, I don't want to be propositioned every 500 yards by girls and their aggressive pimps. Trust me, anyone looking for that can easily find it without being harassed. Somehow it's unbelievable for many of them to understand that a single guy there isn't interested in a date for the night.

Sorry, it is not my intent to make this a *****ing post. Just what would make it more enjoyable for me.

User Info Menu

OK...my turn....My wife and I having been going to Negril for about (15) years, so we are familiar with the runnings, and our very favorite thing to do is late, just before sunset, drag our chairs to the waters edge, drink a cold Red Stripe, watch the sunset and listen to the waves...but...nearly every time we do that, we are approached numerous times to buy something or shake hands, etc. and when I refuse to buy or "be their friend", we have been cursed (F-bombs) and verbily insulted... so if the Authorities could find a way to cut down on "illegal" vendors...........