Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tourism Minister invites ideas!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Tourism Minister invites ideas!

There is an interesting article in the Observer where the Minister of Tourism states:

"Always remember that when visitors leave the confines of their homelands to visit your destination they go in search of their passions. It is your job to find out what those passions are and to find ways to ensure you satisfy them."

To help and assist directly, Negril.com invites you, our visitors, to let us know what your passions are! Please leave us a comment as to what you want to see for the future of Negril and Jamaica from a visitors' perspective!

Thank you!

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...s-of-consumers
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Tourism Minister invites ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    there is an interesting article in the observer where the minister of tourism states:

"always remember that when visitors leave the confines of their homelands to visit your destination they go in search of their passions. It is your job to find out what those passions are and to find ways to ensure you satisfy them."

to help and assist directly, negril.com invites you, our visitors, to let us know what your passions are! Please leave us a comment as to what you want to see for the future of negril and jamaica from a visitors' perspective!

Thank you!

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...s-of-consumers

bravo!
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

Administrator

User Info Menu

Hello? Any ideas for the Minister of Tourism? (grin)

User Info Menu

Sorry can't be bothered with all the sign up stuff ...BUT- Clean the place up -ban styrofoam take out containers ..give the people ..full-time jobs picking up trash !!!recycling...needs to be #1..
    people aren't gonna bother coming ..if the place is a garbage pit

Administrator

User Info Menu

Slightly,

Thanks for your ideas! No need to worry about any sign up stuff, not sure what you mean but we will pass this on to the Ministry!

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob,
    I hope I didn't come off sounding like a ...jerk
    I've been going to JA. since '89
    & love the country & it's people ...
    the tourism $$$ is going to spread thinner ..with Cuba/US relations
    My hope is that JA. will continue on a path of success ..

User Info Menu

Come on ya'll. You must have ideas.

Contribute to the improvement of your experience and others

Speak up!

Cap
    Last edited by captaind; 09-22-2016 at 04:35 PM.
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Well Rob, my comment probably won't help much - when I leave home I just want to get away from work and zone out and that's easy in Jamaica. What I would most love to see is all children provided a free, quality education. Can the Minister of Tourism help with that?
    Don't waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob,

I have some suggestions I would like to make:

Get rid of the hassle. Stop allowing hustlers free reign on the beach, road and cliffs. I'm not talking about the patty mon, or the fruits lady, or the hat guy, or any of that - that shouldn't be messed with and is part of the charm of Negril. If I did not continue to drag my wife there, we would have stopped visiting after the first time. Now, she stays at the pool or on property while I go explore/eat/drink etc unless we have a specific destination in mind and we use taxis. No more wandering the beach / cliff road for her, as the hassle / hustle, at least for her, is way too much. (And we've been all over the Caribbean and the world, and we've never gotten it as bad as we've gotten it in Negril at times).

Get the cannabis tourism stuff worked out, and make it easy. Something akin to the Amsterdam coffeeshop experience or the dispensary experience in Colorado for example. I want to be able to enter a business establishment, review my purchase options, and have choices, with an expectation of quality. No more buying ganja of varying quality from random people, or needing to find a "hook up" for quality gear. It would be great if there were smoker-friendly places, real smoker friendly places - not just places that look the other way - tailored to the cannabis smoker.

Clean the place up - literally clean it. There is trash strewn all over the place. Walk the cliff road and there's garbage everywhere. There are also buildings that are barely standing, vacant and abandoned for years. There are eyesores everywhere. When I think about inviting friends or family to join us, my first thought is the "first impression" - are they going to see the run down, abandoned buildings, garbage and whatnot, and make a judgement before they even reach their hotel and see what it's all about? First impressions are EVERYTHING. I have a best friend who I KNOW would look around as we drive through Negril on his first time and would ask why I brought him to such a dump. It's hard to overcome those first impressions, so I haven't invited him. I'm not saying Negril isn't beautiful and breathtaking - if you take a moment to look around and can look past some of that - it's the most beautiful place and there's no where else in the world I would rather be on my free time - but that's ME.

User Info Menu

I have another suggestion - get the businesses... the hotels, the restaurants, the stores, vendors, etc...get them all ON LINE. There are so many businesses with absolutely no online presence. Give them some kind of incentive to get online. It's the 21st century, and there are hotels that can't be found online, and that is a huge detriment to their business. I may want to stay at Moms Place because when staying at Travellers I ate lunch there and saw what a nice property they have... but then I get home, try to find their website...and nothing. It's practically like they don't exist. So who is going to book with them? If it's not easy, it's not going to happen. Same with restaurants. Can't find a menu, can't find an address... can't find anything.