Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a good fare to go from beach to Westender Inn, Deep West??

User Info Menu

Re: What's a good fare to go from beach to Westender Inn, Deep West??

I would agree that $1000J is a fair offer for 2 passengers from the beach to the Westender. Last month, I routinely offered $800 to drivers to go between the beach and the area around Catcha, and it was always accepted.

Buy yeah - see what kind of transportation the Westender can provide. I see their van driving all over town.

User Info Menu

Thanks all,
    A bike , though thrilling, would be too much excitement. :-)

I did think that the "route" ends way before The Westender Inn, like
    Bnewb says.
    So, either I can take the westend route, and ask the guy how much extra
    to go further to Westender, Or get out there and catch one going deeper West.
    or
    Catch a driver on the beach road and just stay in that
    Car all the way.
    I will try a 1000J and see if I can go all the way.

Also, I wll try and carry the phone number of the Westender Driver,
    to see if he will come pick me up
    from the beach party scene one night.

Thanks again.

User Info Menu

Hi Accompong.
    Cut back on Red Stripes?
    Man, that can be rough, but one must make sacrifices in life.

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Red Stripe.
    Stay thirsty my friends.

User Info Menu

I wasn't recommending that anyone take an "illegal" bike taxi.They most certainly exist, they are the only option to reach many rural (off the beaten track) areas.
    I know several bike taxi men, they are not all gangsters. They take many children to and from school, or link them with route taxi drivers. This service is also provided to many workers, the elderly, and anyone else that doesn't want to walk miles through the hills to and from home. Maybe bike taxi's don't exist in Accompong, I've never had the pleasure to visit.
    Blessed Love and Respect!

User Info Menu

Hi Kim&Betty,
    I use to take the Bike Taxi's all the time.
    I still do.
    Like you said, the only way sometimes to get
    to rural, out of the way places sometimes.

They are convenient and quick.
    Just too far from beach to Deep Westend.
    100J is what I pay when I ride them up and down the road in Orange Bay.

Of course they are not Gangsters.

I saw 2 kids in front, the Bike Driver, then 2 more kids behind him on one bike going to school.

It is a regular thing.

Bless up!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kim&betty View Post
    I wasn't recommending that anyone take an "illegal" bike taxi.They most certainly exist, they are the only option to reach many rural (off the beaten track) areas.
    I know several bike taxi men, they are not all gangsters. They take many children to and from school, or link them with route taxi drivers. This service is also provided to many workers, the elderly, and anyone else that doesn't want to walk miles through the hills to and from home. Maybe bike taxi's don't exist in Accompong, I've never had the pleasure to visit.
    Blessed Love and Respect!
    I guess it was just me that was mistaken when I read what you wrote. You used words that when put together sounded like you were recommending it.
    or 200 ea way on an "illegal" but thrilling (not so safe) bike taxi.
    No, "bike taxis" do not exist. People who own bikes privately and want to make money by giving locals rides for money exist. Just like people with white plates "robots" are apt to do the same but a tourist should not use either as they are not insured to carry paying passengers and the insurance companies won't pay if they have one.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/weste...own--_13795370

What Jamaicans do with other Jamaicans is not the point. This is primarily a tourist board existing for helping tourists who want to visit Jamaica have a good, safe and reasonably priced vacation and not to be put unnecessarily into harms way.

No, I can't honestly say that there are any bikes running paying routes in Accompong Town. A few bikes are around and when a Maroon wants to go somewhere the owner often will give them a ride.

I think that any advice given should consider the consequences of having a trusting first timer flag down a bike and ask for a paying ride to anywhere just in case they happen not to get one of the "several bike (taxi) men you know". Maybe they will hit the jackpot with a gangster, rapist, murderer or just a crazyazzed driver.

Being on a vacation isn't rated by how much of a "yardie" you think you are.

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

"Being on a vacation isn't rated by how much of a "yardie" you think you are."

Perfect Accompong! As much of a "yardie" you think you may be, you at the end of the day, you are a tourist.
    Jamaicans in Negril see you that way...a tourist.
    Embrace your status a tourist...it will free your mind a bit.

G.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    "Being on a vacation isn't rated by how much of a "yardie" you think you are."

Perfect Accompong! As much of a "yardie" you think you may be, you at the end of the day, you are a tourist.
    Jamaicans in Negril see you that way...a tourist.
    Embrace your status a tourist...it will free your mind a bit.

G.
    Very well said! Agree totally.

User Info Menu

Took a route taxi from the scotia bank to the westender last april but as others have said it is beyond the route so a 200 j tip got us the rest of the way. For the way home we were going to just walk and explore till we got back into route taxi range but ended up getting a free ride from a local who we met the day before. He saw us walking and picked us up. He said we were crazy and wouldnt accept any money from us but did let us buy him a ting at the store right by the corner of seastar lane.

User Info Menu

Also i would like to say that i dont consider myself a yardie and allthough i have spent alot of time in Negril and do know the runnings i dont ever claim or think i know more than others. I have noticed on this board and others that some think that because of how many times they have been or how much time they have spent in Jamaica and Negril they think they know more or are better than the rest. I,m not like that at all, just a Negril lover like most of us and love sharing some of my experiences and offering advice or knowledge if i can. I also dont suggest everyone do what i do or get around the way i do, especially new visitors lol. . A red plate charter is always the safest way to get around but some of us just like to do it differently once in awhile. Cheerssss and thank you to everyone who shares their experiences and knowledge on this board.