Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacation.......... A noun or a verb?

User Info Menu

Re: Vacation.......... A noun or a verb?

Yes Cap,

Matthew 7:7 I believe. Also quoted numerous times in song. Jah B (Bunny Wailer) notably.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Accompong;182189][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3][COLOR="#800080"]Yell up, Goldi!

Long time. I know you have been up here but that was 15 years ago! Was hoping to see you again. Too bad I didn't know you were in Jamaica. I will be here until late December should our times cross somehow.

Jah Guide and the Planets Align!

User Info Menu

Last Wednesday, I went down the mountain with my friend and neighbor Troy to pick up Mary at Sangsters. The drive is two plus hours and the roads are nearly impassable in places. In fact, we did get detoured at one point and after driving around several roads and trails, came out only about 100 feet down the road from the landslide.

The rain coming out from the airport was the most rain I have ever seen in Montego Bay in one short two hour period. Three lane roads were down to one and cars were stalled here and there in all the lanes. We decided to take a longer alternate route back to Accompong Town through Cambridge and New Market. After a 4:00pm pickup, we arrived at the house a few minutes after 8:00pm.

We are having a wonderful time. Friends of more than 40 years have lots to talk about. Yesterday we went over to Rubber's shop for a cup of coffee but he was in the middle of harvesting the Vassilly Valley coffee.
    Name:  SAM_0279.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  56.3 KB
    This morning we went back and got a cup of the new crop.
    Name:  IMG_4181.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  90.1 KB

Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

A couple of short videos showing the dehulling process in producing coffee. Hope you enjoy them.

Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Well, my good friend Mary is back home in Washington and I am back in Accompong Town after a two week visit that I am sure we will both remember for a long time to come. For the first nine days here in Accompong Town we managed to find time to just sit and chat about years gone by but Mary has been here before so she spent a good deal of time visiting with friends she had made before and new people she met this trip.
    Name:  FullSizeRender2a.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  54.8 KB
    Before Mary's arrival, we bought a verandah seating set with one bench and two chairs padded and attached to wrought-iron frames. Almost every evening her friends and some of mine showed up to chat and to show each other movies of their grandchildren. With camera phones, some things are the same in every culture now. I think this helped Mary from missing her grandchildren so much.
    Name:  IMG_4039.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  45.7 KB
    November 4th and it was time to go to Negril for her last five days. We were staying at Y Worry Cottage on Breadnut Lane, the West End. We got John, a local Route Taxi driver, to take us down and my best friend, Marshall, tagged along for the ride. The trip down was great as John had only been in Negril once before and that was more than ten years ago and everything was so new to him. It was almost like bringing a "newbie" along!

We pulled in around 1pm and soon we had everything unpacked and reassembled out on the verandah. I brought down five pound of vacuume sealed, roasted Vassilly Valley coffee beans grown behind our house for Penny and some friends along with some vegetables from the farm. Penny and Marshall had not seen each other in a long while so they chatted in one corner while Mary, John and I shared the other corner of the verandah. After about an hour, Rasta Freddy arrived from his farm just in time to say goodbye to John and Marshall as they headed back to Accompong Town. Before long, Rasta Freddy was in the kitchen cooking up a nice dinner for the four of us.
    Name:  SAM_0286.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  55.6 KB
    We don't go out much too eat but instead Freddy cooks when we ask and we have a friend Keith "Killer" (he is called Killer in reference to the "Killer Chicken" he makes). We just need to call him and order Jerk Chicken and tell him when we want in and it arrives with a Killer sauce in a bottle along with sides like callalloo and bread etc. I normally don't eat meat while in Jamaica but I will always make an exception for Killer Chicken!

Dinner was great. Rasta Freddy made a favorite of mine, coconut rice with pumkin and ackee along with a side of fresh callalloo. Now full, we retired back to the verandah and drank a cup of fresh coffee and caught up on when we were last together four years ago on my verandah in Accompong Town. Before we knew it, it was time to go to bed so we made plans for tomorrow. Another day like today would be just fine for all of us. 38 down and 51 to go.

User Info Menu

love your storytelling bill! . . . reminds me of the times we all shared at libby and chef's . . .

User Info Menu

Great trip report. Thanks.
    Feb.1 - 16 Xtabi

[https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    love your storytelling bill! . . . reminds me of the times we all shared at libby and chef's . . .
    Thanks Jitters,

It helps when you have almost all of Jamaica to draw from instead of just the bars, hotels and restaurants in one town.

And, I feel, the inspiration needs to be there as well. You were the "inspiration" for many of the Sea Lawn Coral Beach stories as I recall. It is hard to compare Pagee Beach with Negril Beach but you just had to be there, right???

I appreciate those who read and like them but I write for me. I just have to put the experiences into words to satisfy my need to put the movie running in my head into words.

Thanks again Jitters. Hope to see you up here in Accompong Town someday.
    Name:  SAM_0275.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  44.4 KB
    Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerJohn View Post
    Great trip report. Thanks.
    Thank you HuskerJohn. The scenes at the old Yacht Club were the genesis of many of my stories. Peace and Guidance

User Info Menu

Bill your word pictures of Accompong inspired me to visit last Feb and I am so glad we did!! I love the way you write it's like I could close my eyes and be there!! It really helps when your next reach is booked but still a long ways away...