Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to stay?

User Info Menu

Where to stay?

My husband and I are planning to stay in the Port Antonio area for the first week in March 2017 It'll be our first time visiting this area and I am having a lot of trouble deciding where to stay. We'll be in Negril the week prior, then taking the Knutsford to PA. This will be our 5th trip to Jamaica, the land we love

Has anyone stayed at Coconut Isle Villa on Long Bay? I love the fact that it's ON the beach. It does look a bit run down, but we don't need luxury. As long as it's clean, has a refrigerator, private bathroom and balcony or veranda with beautiful views we are happy. We would rent the entire house, which is a bit more $ than we planned to spend per night. But if someone says that it's a great place to stay, we are OK with spending extra to be on the beach.

We are also considering Fairy Hill Palms, Caribbean Dawn and Pimento Lodge. We prefer to be close walking distance to route taxis, which I believe all of these options are.

Any recommendations? Thanks for all your help!

User Info Menu

Re: Where to stay?

i know the property to your left if you are facing the ocean . . .
    looks nice enough . . . though pricey . . .

User Info Menu

JitterBug - It does seem a bit pricey, but the location seems great. We've never stayed directly on a beach before, so it's really appealing. ANd having the place to ourselves is very appealing too. Since we've never been to the Portland area, I am a little overwhelmed trying to choose a place/area to stay. We want to see it all Does the beach near Coconut Isle Villa really look as beautiful as the pictures? Is there truly a place or two we could walk to along the beach from there for lunch, drinks, dinner in early March? We wouldn't plan to eat all our meals within walking distance of the villa, but maybe every other day while there if possible. Thanks for any input you can give me

User Info Menu

agregory, I’m not familiar with those properties, but I do know a little about Long Bay. Actually because of the beach and ocean which is very active, it’s my favorite town in Portland. Yes, the beach IS that beautiful. I looked at Coconut Isle Villa on-line and from what I can tell, it’s mid point Long Bay beach, which is a great location. There are beach-side shops within walking distance going in both directions.

Since I will be there before your trip, with your permission, I could contact the owners of your selected places and make arrangements to tour the properties. I would say I say it’s for my personal consideration. I’ve started a list and would be happy to add these to it with the purpose of helping you make the best choice and have a pleasant experience in Portland.

User Info Menu

I have not stayed at the property but have seen it while driving by, it's in a good location on Long Bay with shops along the beach and a proper store across the street. From the past things I have read/heard about Long Bay and the villas on the beach it's made me hesitant to stay there but have to say that was some time back. I believe tripadvisor may have a few reviews of the property, also do a search in the Port Antonio travel forum. I have considered Pimento Lodge a few times. Other options closer to town Bayview Villas (have stayed there and can recommend) and Mrs. Scott's place Winnifred Breeze near Winnifred Beach....she has guest rooms with private entrances at the rear of her property...a/c fridge, wifi etc. Oh and not sure of your budget but Tropical Lagoon is very nice and it's on the Blue Lagoon.
    Last edited by sammyb; 10-18-2016 at 01:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Hello Vi,
    Thanks for your input and your offer to check out the properties. I am excited to hear that Long Bay is your favorite area and it's just as beautiful as the pictures When will you be back in Portland? I plan to send you a PM sometime later today.
    I also have to thank you for your lovely trip reports! I am looking forward the the continuation of the one your currently writing. Your descriptions, stories and photos have definitely been the key to making me want to explore Portland and I can't wait! If I can only get through this upcoming winter and the next 4 months...

User Info Menu

So glad you are enjoying the report, agregory. I’m overjoyed it had a part in your decision to explore Portland. But yes, there is something about that area that memorizes me each time I pass it. The ocean is a magnificent vision because it’s so active. You will be told to use caution if you tend to swim in it.

I leave on Saturday (YAY!!!!!) and plan to take an afternoon scoping out different properties. I’m very interested in Coconut Isle because of the view, but concerned with some of the reviews that comment on the condition of the house so I’m glad you are okay with me checking it out.

I know what you mean by getting through the winter. I’m NOT a cold weather person. That’s why I go right before it turns cold for the season and just before spring. Your time will go fast as you make plans to enjoy Portland. I’m more than happy to assist with that.

User Info Menu

Hi agregory my wife and I will be in Negril the last week of feb and in Long Bay for the first week of march. We did the same thing last year took Knutsford had best time. We are doing a airbnb place this year also. I looked at the place you are looking at a few times the view looks increadible. Maybe we will meet you as we will be very close have a Irie day.. John
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

*vi* -

I'm so excited for you! I really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you have for my trip.

I have fallen in love with the idea of staying at Coconut Isle, but I am also slightly concerned about previous reviews. There's not many pictures of the inside of the house online, but all we ask is that it's clean and comfortable. I'd hate to spend that much money on a place that we don't want to spend time in. Most likely we won't do much other than sleep there and spend the rest of our time outside or exploring.

I tried to send you a PM, but your mailbox is full I wrote up some info about us with links to the properties we're looking at and some thoughts. If you want me to email it or send it a different way, let me know. Otherwise, have a blast and if you happen visit any of these properties I would love to hear about it!

I'll speak for everyone here by saying we can't wait for another trip report

User Info Menu

takinitslow -

It's funny you'll be there at the same time as us again because we actually met you in 2014 when we stayed at White Sands. My name is Amy and Erick is my husband and we met you on the first day of our second trip to Negril. I didn't realize who you were on this board until we returned home from that trip so I never mentioned being a boardie

We arrive on Wednesday the 22nd and will be in Negril for 6-7 days before Portland. I bet you are super excited to stay on Long Bay this year! As you can see, I'm a bit torn on where to stay...

Will you be at White Sands again this year? Maybe we'll stop by to chat on a stroll down the beach one day? We love to stop by White Sands for the daily drink special or three