Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article from Mi Yard- thoughts ....

User Info Menu

Re: Interesting article from Mi Yard- thoughts ....

Seems like a tough balance of local culture and tourist culture. I'd love to have reliable on-time performances at the hours I'm used to in the US, but that doesn't seem to be the way it is. Many tourists say they want "local culture", well that doesnt seem to be early or quiet. A couple years ago we were staying on the cliffs and the most incredibly loud event went off all night until about sunrise. In the morning we inquired just WTF did we miss? Turns out it was a Dead Yard in honor of a well known local. We'd never heard of such a thing, but once we knew it was easy to shrug off.

User Info Menu

I struggle with the Negril music scene. Whether it is Luciano no showing, or the main act coming on HOURS after the start of the show, it is too unpredictable for me to appreciate. Another example was Yellowman at the Boat Bar in April. We sat and waited and waited and waited and had enough. Walked down to Sunnyside and had a few beers, walked back by and he still had not taken the stage. I was excited for a daytime show and frankly the experience sucked. The promoter gave my kiddo Booger a free ticket and it was a total let down.

What is the deal with coming on after midnight anyway? I'm getting too old for that $hit......

User Info Menu

I was at the Boat bar for the Yellowman show last april. It was great to see him again and we loved his show as always. I wasnt bothered by his late appearance because thats Jamaica lol. Based on all my past experiences nothing is really ever on time in Negril and we learned to accept that many years ago and time doesnt really matter to us when we are there. What i didnt like about the show was that Yellowman was going to do another song or two to the delight of the crowd and the promoter stopped him from doing it. He appologised and then started making his way back to the parking area. We managed to meet him back there and talk to him and get a picture with him. We were glad to see he is doing well and still performing, especially in Negril. In my earlier post i mentioned that there didnt seem to be as many big names performing Negril and in our case that may because of the time of year we go now. We used to always be there at the begning of feb. and there always seemed to be big shows in honor of bob marleys birthday. Shows like ziggy at mx3 and beanie man and steven segal lol at samsara. Maybe because we go in april now we miss the good shows. None the less i think now that the all inclusive resorts seem to be drawing more tourists than they once did more big shows could help draw the bracelet wearing tourists off the resorts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by booger View Post
    What is the deal with coming on after midnight anyway? I'm getting too old for that $hit......
    I agree. We're not into staying up late to catch the headliners, either. I actually prefer to watch local performers, as there is a lot of great talent out there that you can watch in non-crowded, chill environment. This past August, we were eating at Erica's when some local Deejays setup a sound system right next to the restaurant. They each took turns freestyle singing to some riddims and they were really good! I'm pretty sure they were rhyming about me a few times, but it was a lot of fun. The deejays were really cool as we hung out with them for a while. I'm generally a live-band kind of guy but dancehall and hip hop has its place and these guys had talent.
    Last edited by Mike_D; 10-19-2016 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

I think nostalgia may once again be playing tricks with some memories. The "big shows" featuring Freddy McGregor, The Marley sons, John Holt and Shaggy were held on the cliffs at Negril Escape just 5 years ago

Yeah,5 years ago ...
    ... & the only performer I mentioned was Gregory & my comparison was to a Las Vegas show act ...
    Big up to Rockhouse for putting on these shows.... So, what happened to all the other venues?

Etana, Tarrus, Jah Cure, Queen Ifrica and the legendary Luciano and Yellowman are all regulars in Negril.

Been there ...done that - like going to Vegas & seeing -the same old song & dance -

My point is that all the open air concert venues ..are closing up shop
    & I'll gladly drop my $$$$ on "quality" live entertainment

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slightly Stoopid View Post
    I think nostalgia may once again be playing tricks with some memories. The "big shows" featuring Freddy McGregor, The Marley sons, John Holt and Shaggy were held on the cliffs at Negril Escape just 5 years ago

Yeah,5 years ago ...
    ... & the only performer I mentioned was Gregory & my comparison was to a Las Vegas show act ...
    Big up to Rockhouse for putting on these shows.... So, what happened to all the other venues?

Etana, Tarrus, Jah Cure, Queen Ifrica and the legendary Luciano and Yellowman are all regulars in Negril.

Been there ...done that - like going to Vegas & seeing -the same old song & dance -

My point is that all the open air concert venues ..are closing up shop
    & I'll gladly drop my $$$$ on "quality" live entertainment
    The problem is that there are not enough interested people with "$$$$" besides yourself to pay "quality" live entertainment. If you charge too much for locals to pay then you will only have a few hundred people at most to shoulder the fee for the entertainers as they don't play for free.

The fact is that most Jamaicans out on the island have never been to what we would call a "quality" live entertainment show mainly because of the high ticket price. A worker making $60 a week at the Royalton can hardly be expected to pay half a weeks wages to see a show.

This is why the alternative shows with lesser known entertainers with one or two popular tunes are teamed together to make a card that the average Jamaican can afford. These are the shows where the featured artists don't go on stage until the wee hours of the morning. This, of course, wouldn't be possible to put on in Negril due to the noise curfew.

Here in Accompong Town they have the January 6th Celebration each year and the original Stone Love puts on a show with an entrance fee of $300 Jamaican dollars and that the thousand or so that pay to get in in venue just cover the cost for the sound system. The profit, if any, comes from the sale of drinks and food.

There is a disconnect between the locals and the tourists (as well as more well-off Jamaicans) where the money they are willing to pay for top flight entertainment is concerned. If you as a tourist want the best entertainment, you and a fair number more of fellow travelers must be willing to support it because the general Jamaican people can't afford it.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Contrary to what people may think, concerts often lose money. To run a consistent money making event is nearly impossible.

Weather is always an issue. Since all the venue's in Negril are open air, a localized rain will limit attendance. Rain somewhere on the performers route to Negril can cause a late or even a no-show performance.

In the Negril Today page, I listed venues going back to the 70's. Many of the venues had their run, which is why we remember their names today. They were then replaced by the next "place to go".

Over the years, each place stopped for their own reasons.

Places are still having shows and the current "place to go" is Bourbon Beach.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I agree Rob, even the smaller cities in canada lik the one i live in dont have many good concerts because not alot of promoters are willing to take a chance. Artists are paid up font and its up to the promoter to make money. I have always been willing to pay good money to see a good show here because its cheaper than traveling to toronto to see one but thats just me and not everyone feels the same i'm sure. If i remember correctly last april on the day of the yellowman show at the boat bar it rained alot earlier in the day and that could be why he started later. I didnt mine the wait at all because i was in negril and thats good enough for me lol. As long as i am there with a cold drink in my hand i dont mind waiting for anything and he put on a good show so it was well worth the wait. Unlike other shows i have been to and waited for the headliner to play only to have them not even show up yellowman showed up and didnt disapoint.

User Info Menu

Thank-you ...Rob /Accompong for the insight ...
    Sounds like I gotta head .."for the hills " -
    @ $60.00 /week it must be very hard to pay for basics
    ..never mind a night out
    ... with what most AI's charge it's not fair that more $$ isn't going into those pockets of those who truly make our vacation memorable & enjoyable

Administrator

User Info Menu

Slightly,

Thank you. The original post was based on a prediction that didn't come to pass.

In reality, I cannot see why a Kingstonian would drive 4 hours to watch performers in Negril when those same performers have gigs regularly in Kingston.

We do have the big Kingston crowd for ATI/Dream Weekend with non stop parties, and to a lesser extent on major holidays so that remains true. But driving 4 hours vs 20 minutes to a show just doesn't seem to be realistic.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!