Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting article from Mi Yard- thoughts ....

User Info Menu

Re: Interesting article from Mi Yard- thoughts ....

Wouldn't it make sense for the Jamaican Tourism Board to subsidies and organize a series of concerts and\or a concert venue if it's something that difficult for a private enterprise to do? Tax money collected from tourism could be used to subsidize the concerts costs and ticket price. This would not only benefit the tourism industry but also the locals (think free ticket giveaway contests and\or discounted tickets at sponsor locations). Make sure the main act comes on at a decent time and then let the party continue in Jamaican style.

Since most tourists are only in town for a couple of weeks, at most, the series could consist of a revolving set of "resident" artists. I don't think big names are necessary but quality up and coming or emerging artists that want to get their name out there internationally would draw crowds if the production quality was consistently there.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

I like your thought process ...Kevin, PA -
    I think that for certain attractions on the island- there's a tiered cost
    local vs. tourist rate
    I personal like that idea
    correct me if I'm wrong

Administrator

User Info Menu

The JTB already does help support and sponsor concerts and other events. Reggae Sumfest, The Jazz and Blues Fest, the MX3 Bob Marley Bash, the Rastafari Rootz Fest Ganja Cup, Dream Weekend and even the Reggae Marathon are all sponsored by the JTB. There are major events all over the island that bring thousands of visitors to the island sponsored by the JTB. So I think they already have that covered.

To start a "regular" concert series anywhere would have both supporters and detractors, as does the tiered entry cost scheme (local vs tourist).

If the JTB would start a regular weekly show in Negril, how would the residents of MoBay, Ochi, Falmouth, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach, etc feel about the JTB funds being used to only promote Negril? There is not enough money to fund regular concert series all over the island, which is why the JTB does their best to support major events island wide to help distribute the wealth evenly.

There has been numerous discussions here on the pros and cons of a tiered entry cost scheme. When events have a tiered entry fee, many visitors express their feelings that they are getting "ripped off". Some go as far as to get their Jamaican friends to purchase the tickets in advance at the local rate. It had got to the point that the bouncers asked to see Jamaican IDs and refused entry if you had the wrong ticket. There have been many complaints from the visitors like this practice is something unusual although Las Vegas residents get special rates at the local Vegas hotels and Orlando attractions as a whole offer special packages to Florida residents only. I personally like the tiered idea as well, but in practice it doesnt work too well here.

The above kind of reminds me of the recent "route taxi" thread...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!