Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lighthouse renovations?

User Info Menu

Lighthouse renovations?

I read on geocaching.com that the lighthouse is currently having some "renovations" and you can't go up to the top right now. Is this true, and does anyone know for how long it will be closed?
    We have been there and love the view (and lighthouses in general) but wanted to take our buddies there when we are in Negril Nov. 12-26.
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...

User Info Menu

Re: Lighthouse renovations?

I climbed the stairs of that lighthouse for a couple times over years. Each time I found that it was remarkable...indeed shameful, that paper records, from the 1880's were lying about, unprotected, to the seaside elements. These were weather reports that I could see...but maybe much more history there. Shame on the Jamaican Government.

User Info Menu

Nice views from the top:
    Name:  Negril Light House.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  93.0 KB

User Info Menu

Nice pic VVHT

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    I climbed the stairs of that lighthouse for a couple times over years. Each time I found that it was remarkable...indeed shameful, that paper records, from the 1880's were lying about, unprotected, to the seaside elements. These were weather reports that I could see...but maybe much more history there. Shame on the Jamaican Government.
    Papa,

Hmmm, I don't remember seeing any records from the 1880's. The Lighthouse was built in 1894, so any records from the 1880's would have been taken up there a decade after they were written. This would probably make them duplicates, not originals.

I have been up there a few dozen times over the last couple decades. Between the Port Authority of Jamaica, Ministry of Transport and Works, the Jamaica National Heritage Trust and years of work by caretaker Mr. Johnson, they have kept it in working condition. Since last being renovated in the 1980's, new restoration work is overdue.

On a personal note, books we have from the 1960's are yellowing and becoming fragile to the touch. I cannot fathom paper from the 1880's lasting over 100 years with the rain, sea spray and hurricanes that the lighthouse has seen.

Perhaps you could give us a little more information about when, where and what you saw from the 1880's. I am curious why they would be there in the first place and how it is possible that they lasted so long.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

OK, 1890's. I know I saw a date entry on a log which began with 18... Now I wish I had photographed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Georgie View Post
    OK, 1890's. I know I saw a date entry on a log which began with 18... Now I wish I had photographed it.
    I'd of loved to see them

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Went through some of my pics from 2007 when I climbed the lighthouse the first time... came across this one of records, but can't really see dates on them... just very interesting to see (for us anyway!)
    But I am still wondering if anyone knows if renovations/restorations are still occurring, and if the lighthouse is therefore closed at this time.

Name:  jamaica 2007046.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  95.0 KB
    Last edited by Georgia; 10-25-2016 at 08:12 AM.
    Hedo Negril '07 Hedo Ochi '08 Couples Negril & Riu Ochi '10 Firefly & iberostar Rose Hall Beach '12 Firefly & Samsara '14 Samsara & CocolaPalm '16 CocolaPalm & Couples Negril '17 Treehouse & Catcha & Couples Negril '22

Coming in from the cold...

User Info Menu

Thanks Georgia even those papers one dated 1968 should have been cared for. This is history of a great landmark just carelessly left laying around with no thought of it's historical value. Why doesn't it surprise me. I hope they were put away somewhere to be saved for future people to enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    But I am still wondering if anyone knows if renovations/restorations are still occurring, and if the lighthouse is therefore closed at this time.
    Georgia...we'll try to get up there today to check it out and cool pic...thanks.
    Though on the property numerous time, for some reason I've never been up to the top.