Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Issues

User Info Menu

Safety Issues

About to take our 7th trip to Negril. Last time was 2 years ago. I'm a bit concerned after reading about crime issues of late. We will be staying at Grand Pineapple this time. Is it safer to stay on beachside or garden side or does it matter? Also same question for upstairs or downstairs. Or should I just not be concerned & expect a great trip as always? Thanks.

User Info Menu

Re: Safety Issues

It won't matter. None of the recent crimes reported have been incidents on a resort property. Use the same precautions you would elsewise. All of the doors to rooms are accessible either via patio or porch, so upstairs/downstairs doesn't matter. There are four security people on site at night.

I stayed at grand pineapple twice in the garden manor room. One time, My white, American friend walked me home one night after too much fun and the security guy was not having it.... I insisted I was fine but my friend insisted he walk me home to make sure I was safe.... right or wrong, I was fine and security is tight at grand pineapple. They followed us and made sure he left the property after he walked me to my door.

Based on personal experience , don't walk the road after sunset, especially in darker parts where the lighting is terrible. That's where the bad stuff happens.

I don't want to downplay the safety issues, either. I do believe that everyone with a stake in the tourist industry has a genuine interest and concern for tourist safety. I believe there has been an increase in policing, but it coincided with the slower season, so it will be interesting to see how the coming high season proceeds.

Be as safe as you can and continue to be a smart traveler. You should not be deterred, in my opinion.
    Last edited by LivinInThe603; 10-23-2016 at 07:18 PM.

User Info Menu

As far as safety at Grand Pineapple is concerned, the only safer spot would be in your own home!
    If you are worried about something, do something about it. If there is nothing you can do, why worry!

User Info Menu

Thanks for both answers. I feel silly now for worrying at all. I've never felt threatened in Negril before & always had a great time weather non AI or AI. Sometimes reading things make it sound worse than it is. No more worries!

User Info Menu

Hello, we are about to head back for our annual mecca. I am so laxadaisy about our plans...we have our hotel, favorite places to eat, etc that I haven't been reading the boards. The talk about crime is a bit concerning and I would just like to know if solo female beach walks in the early morning (past sunrise) are safe or if I need to make adjustments to my routine. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Based on my past experiences as someone who walked home on the beach just after sunrise almost every morning i would say it is one of the safer times and a time when you get hassled less. I am not the all night partier i once was but i had a few really late nights last april and walked home on the beach shortly after sunrise and times may have changed but all i usually saw on the beach at that time were joggers, people looking for shells and people raking the beach. Its light out and hotel security people are visible and you wont be the only tourist on the beach so i wouldnt let fear keep you from enjoying your early morning walks. As with any time of day in Negril or anywhere else in the world for that matter just be aware of your surroundings and use common sence and you should be just fine and most importantly enjoy your time in Negril

User Info Menu

I'm sitting on the beach every morning for the sunrise while I'm holidaying and, in my experience, that is the perfect time for wandering. Higglers are by and large, not up yet.
    If you are worried about something, do something about it. If there is nothing you can do, why worry!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoners6 View Post
    I'm sitting on the beach every morning for the sunrise while I'm holidaying and, in my experience, that is the perfect time for wandering. Higglers are by and large, not up yet.
    I've had the same experience. Morning sunrise is awesome on the beach.

User Info Menu

The quiet morning when the water is calm and the beach is empty... That's my favorite time of day!

User Info Menu

Yay! Cannot wait to be back!