Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Follow up to Medical availability thread

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Follow up to Medical availability thread

Quote Originally Posted by RoyinNC View Post
    The odd thing is that there are apparently competent doctors in the area but no one seems to know who they are or how to contact them directly...
    On the bottom of each of the Negril.com main menu pages are the local clinics/doctors listed with their phone contacts.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marblehead View Post
    I recommend that you consider Travel insurance for medical emergencies that require evacuation. I got ours through AAA from the same company that said they didn't offer it on their web site! I wasn't in the AAA office for more than 10 minutes.
    I agree, and we always have medical insurance and medical evac insurance every time we travel outside the US. But having that insurance and being evacuated are far from the same thing. The problem is that you can't decide for yourself that you need to be evacuated, they require a physician assessment to start that process. I keep hearing there are good doctors in the area, but no one seems to be able to say who they are or how to contact them. I have come to think (after visiting both) that the clinic at Sav and the hospital at Cornwall are not great places to start this process unless there is just no other way. And I understand that there may be no other way, but since many think there are better options I'm just trying to find out what those options are. I could be wrong but I don't think most companies would evac you based on the assessment of a nursing company that also babysits, pet sits, house sits, and arranges tours. Comforts of Home sounds awesome and I wish them nothing but success, but they must have some doctor somewhere they work with in order to begin the evac process I would think.
    Roy

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoyinNC View Post
    I agree, and we always have medical insurance and medical evac insurance every time we travel outside the US. But having that insurance and being evacuated are far from the same thing. The problem is that you can't decide for yourself that you need to be evacuated, they require a physician assessment to start that process. I keep hearing there are good doctors in the area, but no one seems to be able to say who they are or how to contact them....
    On the bottom of each of the Negril.com main menu pages are the local clinics/doctors listed with their phone contacts.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob!

User Info Menu

Well amoxicillin is NOT the correct treatment for many infections! Careful of any reactions also or you can set yourself up for trouble like that...

User Info Menu

EXACTLY! What you HEAR carrying some weight in trust. So once again...I provide first responder nursing assessment HANDS ON, referral if needed and collaborate with whatever Drs are available to speak to....will get you where you need to be if so. The Drs vary, the services vary depending on time of day/night and I use whatever I can to help you get through the night or get where you need to go! I work with ethical services and physicians and do my best to give you Plan A and Plan B for keeping costs down. I know who to call and who NOT to call. It has been three years and I have NEVER had anything but gratitude from clients that needed my help. I have helped, sent off and travelled with people to bring them where they need to go because they don't know area and I can get them through the process quicker with my being their advocate by their side! It has been the busiest season ever and I hope you link with me via my website! I am under MARKET section here but here ya go again...Nurse Beth
    Comforts of Home Nursing Services Limited
    www.j.mp/comfortsJA

User Info Menu

Drs and clinics are NOT 24 hours..even during the day they run clinic so I am usually first responder I carry private numbers to Drs and services that I have built a relationship and trust with to use when clinics are closed
    I have transport services I trust. Even with evacuation travel insurance, you need clearance to travel usually through a Dr here
    and this can tie you up here for a bit!
    Nurse Beth
    876-464-2894

User Info Menu

I DO NOT arrange tours, I may accompany on excursion for special needs guests or people with medical issues
    I CAN house sit/ pet sit and continue to do my 24 hour emergency triage nursing services
    I WILL sit with ill child/adult so family can go to dinner or out on excursion

You DO underestimate my contacts and services here

Clinics close in the evening There is no hospital here I am the only HANDS ON 24 hour nursing triage responder (carrying medic bag and AED) you can call for assessment/referral, unless you want to resort to calling an ambulance which many hotels will automatically do! (Private $$ Local to Sav or Cornwall??) I can call physicians/services during the night for consult and to make a plan. I can arrange transport by van or ambulance that I TRUST and less expensive. Ambulances are never cheap ANYWHERE anyways. I try to make the best plan and keep costs down. I many times travel with clients that don't want to sit around and don't know the ropes or the area they are traveling to! Many times services can take quite some time to arrive at night! I can assure you I am first call for MANY hotels day and night, since the Drs are in clinic or out of area at times!
    I will always tell you what you need to do and work with you to make you feel safe and have that COMFORT OF HOME here.
    There is no guarantee on who is in Negril, what is open here or other cities and what services available!! I make tons of calls and facilitate everything when I arrive. Who knows how many ambulances are running here on any given day. You must call daily and know!!! I am proud to say, If you want help...I AM your best call for help to start!
    Now please know I do local services also. I get call for blood pressure and other tests, wound dressings, check elderly when I get calls to do so. I charge local fees and if I get a tip or supplies I use these for care here! I do what I can do here to fill in the gap in Negril and collaborate with many physicians. They call me to go do some calls they get because they DO NOT need a physician, this save money to the client, YOU.
    SOOOO on that note, let me feed this dog I am watching for someone that is on vacation and then go to an appointment I have hahahaha If I get a call I am READY!

User Info Menu

Nurse Beth,
    I guess I misunderstood some of the things on your website about pet sitting and such, and if that is the case I apologize for that. As I have mentioned more than once your business looks like it is filling a great need in the area and I wish you nothing but success with it. I seem to have misunderstood some of the things on your list of services.
    24-Hour hotel calls (limited service to private homes/apartments)
    Adult/Child Sitting (Home & Hotel)
    Education (Business & Community)
    Health Care Consulting/Auditing
    Hotel/Clinic Contracts
    Event Nursing Support
    On-Site Visits (blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol tests, etc.)
    Post-Clinic/Hospital follow-up care
    Private Nursing/Travel Care
    Personal Shopping
    Event Promotion & Marketing
    Pet Sitting/Property Management
    Rental Search Assistance
    Excursions

Sorry if I misunderstood the meaning of these services, but hopefully you can see why I might have.
    I wish you and your business all the very best and appreciate you doing what you do in an area where it seems hard to find a doctor. I've been asking for a year and still have not found the name of a doctor in Negril, so I understand that it's a tough thing to do.
    All the best-
    Roy
    Negril again in the Spring... just being there helps my blood pressure!

User Info Menu

I'm confused. On the home page is this: "Medical Information: Negril Health Centre (Govt): 957-4926 - Doctor's Medical Clinic (near HiLo): 957-3770 - Omega Medical Clinic (near Roundabout): 957 - 9307". Are these not medical doctors?