Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Follow up to Medical availability thread

User Info Menu

Re: Follow up to Medical availability thread

They are clinics that obviously have doctors there at times. If there are certain reliable doctors that work there they are not listed. It may be a rotation of a variety of doctors, or there may be a couple of doctors who work there regularly. Not sure. I see what you are saying, but these are clinics. not doctors. A subtle distinction I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoyinNC View Post
    I've been asking for a year and still have not found the name of a doctor in Negril, so I understand that it's a tough thing to do.
    Roy, I'm confused also...outside of Beth running an excellent service...Rob has given you the phone numbers to the clinics in Negril twice in this thread alone, when you've asked. If you phone the clinic numbers, they'll tell you which doctor may be working there that day.
    Are you just looking for names of Doctors in particular that work in Negril? I'm not sure how that helps outside of having given you the phone numbers to the clinics...but a few names around town... Dr. Grant (she's mentioned regularly on negril.com), Dr. Foster, Dr. Reddy...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoyinNC View Post
    ...but these are clinics. not doctors. A subtle distinction I know.
    There is no subtle distinction, all the doctors you can contact in Negril work at a clinic. What you may be thinking of as a doctor's office is referred to as a clinic in Negril.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Bnewb,
    Do these doctors have their own offices and contact information or are these the doctors that work and the clinics Rob lists (or a combination of those things)?
    I think the real question I have been asking has become lost along the way... Where do the people with an inside knowledge of the medical situation in Negril go or do if something serious happens other than Sav or Cornwall? Having been to both I am wondering if there are better options in the area, and if so... what are they? I visit Jamaica often, but just for a week at at time and even after 35 or so visits I know that the people on this board know far more than I do about everything in Negril. I was hoping I'd ask my question and someone would say something like,

"If I had a serious medical situation when I was in Negril I would definitely do/call ..... because this is the most reliable option in the area if you have a serious illness or injury and they can authorized use of your medical evac insurance if needed."

But I have also learned that it's just not as simple as I was hoping it would be. That's my actual question and I have gained some excellent info about the services provided by Nurse Beth and now know that unless someone else comes up with a better option she should be the first call for someone visiting the area. It sounds like she has the information I am asking about and provides a valuable service to help someone access the options that do exist in the area.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Roy

User Info Menu

Yes they are. The healthcare center closes approx 5pm The clinic hours vary upon days and close in evenings, with the physician coming in different times in the day- also each offer different peripheral services ea clinic. One offers 24 roving nurse with skills in hospitality and customer service, but last I heard from hotels and saw on their flier...the nurse gets insurance info and calls that DR or ambulance. There is NO hands on allowed (they listed cannot give over the counter, take blood pressure and doesn't carry any supplies) which really isn't providing any nursing service. There is NO guarantee to reach physicians 24 hours or have a rig available in town so be prepared. There are more clinics than listed and many do not come out at night. I work with whatever is at hand and deal with the issue at hand, you aren't alone to figure it out. I say have travel insurance but read fine print ( evac qualifications), carry cash as well as credit card with large limit (25,000) and keep my number handy.
    Bless

User Info Menu

Yes, as we all do in Jamaica, wear multiple hats! No problem. I make myself available for many services. Nurse Beth

User Info Menu

I understand the frustration, hence I began this business years ago! I try daily to get something going 24 hours here and lots of talk and no action means I am on the clock 24/7. I help to the best of my ability to take care of each situation. Many people call and want me to tell them what to do, but this isn't a phone service. I respond and make a plan. The physicians that DO let me call them in the night want me to come , assess and make sure they need to come OR get you through the night or where you need to go. The run clinic (the Dr office) and have their own families and do not do 24/7 really. I have built relationships to get here their trust and take also assist them when they ask me to go do a home/hotel call for them. Having me go assess reduces cost instead of physician fee or transportation out if you really do not need a physician! If you do need a physician I can facilitate when/where you should go depending on the situation. I can consult to make sure it is the correct plan and advise upon my experience here what we need to do...even if it is playing the insurance game to get you off the island or riding along to get through all the BS I truly am the only service like this, and will always prioritize my calls to level of urgency. I am sure you will hear more about my services since this has been my busiest year ever and I have sent 4+ people home already this season! If you don't need to go great...if you do, you WILL hear it from me! Many people are emailing through my website, their dates and where they are staying, as well as important medical history to be prepared. Nurse Beth
    www.j.mp/comfortsJA

User Info Menu

I'm curious too. The one by Hilo was closed the Sunday I felt the worst and resorted to reckless behaviour that I have been appropriately lectured upon. Did this not start from some having unsatisfactory treatment at clinics, expensive, or a monopoly at hotels … not pleased. I would have been there irregardless … other options and I am happy to know that we are connected with someone who can connect us with someone. Nice to know that we have options.

User Info Menu

I can vouch for nurse Beth's response to my situtation . Because I knew she was a boardie and was 24/7 I needed something as I was suffering with belly pain . Nothing was open and a call to the front desk would have probably meant a ride in an ambulance to the nearest emergency room . But I called Beth at 4 in the morning and she was at my villa in 20 minutes and was assesing me . She had the connection to Dr. and made appt. for me . Although my situation was not easy to diagnose I felt she was my strongest advocate there was ! She was also well prepared to do triage if needed . She is truly frustrated about no 24/7 clinic that can be accessed in the Negril area . Thanks Nurse Beth for that early morning visit.
    Farmer

User Info Menu

Well I know I have added her contact information in my phone. You never know when you are going to need some help!

Thanks for the information!
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]