Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Follow up to Medical availability thread

User Info Menu

Follow up to Medical availability thread

That last thread got long and interesting, but I don't think the info some of us need was ever actually found.

There is apparently a recent problem with the medical services at some of the resorts who use a contractor who charges unbelievable high prices at times for simple services. My long time
    plan when in Jamaica if I (or someone with me) had a serious illness or injury was to get a taxi and head for MoBay Hope Medical in MoBay (Half Moon shopping area), but that same company that has been called out by lots of people who were overcharged now operates that same clinic. We did not have a confidence-inspiring experience at the clinic at Sav, my one trip to Cornwall with an injured friend was far less than ideal. Someone in the other thread about this mentioned that they use reliable independent doctors in the Negril area but I've never been able to find out who they are, how to contact them, or what the best and most reliable medical options are in case a need arises. I know people who have been vacationing in Negril even longer than I have and some of them have simply felt they could no longer vacation there as their medical situation has gotten more complicated over the years.

What I wish I could get from some of you experts is this.... Assume you are in Negril on vacation and have a serious medical issue (illness or injury)... what do YOU do? What do you think the best options are for reliable medical treatment if something serious happens?

Thanks very much!

User Info Menu

Re: Follow up to Medical availability thread

Quote Originally Posted by RoyinNC View Post

Assume you are in Negril on vacation and have a serious medical issue (illness or injury)... what do YOU do? What do you think the best options are for reliable medical treatment if something serious happens?

Thanks very much!

This is why Nurse Beth started her business, Comforts Of Home. She's the best first-call option for medical treatment. Nurse Beth comes to you with medical supplies and actually provides care while assessing and arranging further assistance.

User Info Menu

Is there a phone number for Nurse Beth? This is a great thread to start, thank you.

User Info Menu

http://www.j.mp/comfortsJA

You can get her contact # on the link and also, if you have an upcoming trip you can use the Contact Form to tell her your dates, known medical issues and where you are staying.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Her link can be found in our Market section!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks! I take see she is a nurse... is there a doctor associated with her business as well?

User Info Menu

They all said above that she does triage with a view to examine the situation and get you to proper care as deemed necessary. I myself on last visit just was sick with sinus infection … trying to fight it but felt much better with a fellow frequent visitor connecting me to the Vet antibiotics. I was sick … I will forever bring 10-14 days of amoxicillan and I will share. Yup, I will burn in hell for sharing but I was in dire straits and a fellow traveller shared.

User Info Menu

The odd thing is that there are apparently competent doctors in the area but no one seems to know who they are or how to contact them directly. Having said that, it sounds like Comforts of Home is a really great idea in an area that has a need for this kind of service. I hope it thrives! As I read the list of what they do it makes me wonder how many employees they have since they do Personal Shopping,
    Event Promotion & Marketing, Pet Sitting/Property Management. Rental Search Assistance, and Excursions too. Hard to label a business that does all these things.
    Thanks again for the info and link to ComfortsJA.

User Info Menu

Indeed it is different. How interesting that so many hats are worn. Early early advice was that the health care system is burdened; be prepared and if you can get home for proper care, it is likely best. Truly, the vet worked for me in the short term. We all know that those are few and far between.

Warmest regards and I'm so pleased to share in all wisdom.

User Info Menu

I recommend that you consider Travel insurance for medical emergencies that require evacuation. I got ours through AAA from the same company that said they didn't offer it on their web site! I wasn't in the AAA office for more than 10 minutes.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.