Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Ever STAYED At Alfred's Ocean Palace?

User Info Menu

Question Has Anyone Ever STAYED At Alfred's Ocean Palace?

hi everyone! i apologize in advance for the long post and biographical details!

has anyone here ever stayed at alfred's, and if so, did you enjoy it? would you recommend it for a family of 3 (my husband, myself and our ten year old son)? we plan to arrive on tuesday, feb. 21 and check out sunday, feb. 26. we're in ja for 2 weeks, so this would only be a part of our trip. i joined this board specifically to ask this question, since, aside from 2 fairly general reviews on another travel forum, i can't seem to find a lot of info about the actual hotel part of the operation.

my questions are: ocnsidering it's a popular spot with both tourists and locals, is the property safe for the hotel guests? we're going to bring a travel safe with a lock and chain, but in general, are the rooms secure? i know lot of people have had problems with their rooms getting robbed while staying at roots bamboo, but i'm assuming that alfred's doesn't put up with that type of shadiness.

should we expect live music and/or dj's every single night from 9pm to 3am during that time (tuesday through saturday)?

oh, and is roots bamboo still hosting parties several times a week or are they under renovation?

a little info about what type of travelers we are might be a good idea, especially since we're traveling with our kid: i've been visiting jamaica since the mid 90s for work and to hang out with friends who have family there. this will be about my 10th time in negril, my husband's third and our son's 2nd. i've always either stayed with friends or at xtabi, so i only know the beach as a hangout spot, not as a base of operations.

my husband and son are originally from a beach town in haiti and the three of us know the bar/restaurant part of alfred's well, so there's no worry about any form of culture shock when we see the actual accommodations. if we made it through post-earthquake haiti we will be fine at alfred's for a few days. people generally think my husband and son are jamaican and i'm still friendly with a bunch of folks from my younger days, so there's no big worry about getting tourist hustled or inadvertently putting ourselves in bad situations. although we don't partake ourselves, we expect that our son will see people indulging in that one fragrant, adult mood relaxer popular in ja.

thanks in advance for your help!!!
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 01-12-2017 at 07:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Has Anyone Ever STAYED At Alfred's Ocean Palace?

I definitely can answer your question, I stayed there once, a few summers ago, I believe it was labor day weekend. It was hot as blazes, so I have never returned in
    the summer , but I had no problem being a solo traveler at Alfreds.

It is run by a great family, that watches out for everything very closely. The music situation is different ,as it's wrapping up earlier these days, and theres really only a couple nights
    out of the week, there will be music.....
    The rooms were fine, I didn't have ac, but had fans, so I would ask ahead of time, although February is the best month for nice weather, it can actually get cool at night, so that might not be a problem for you.
    The owner even let me keep my valuables in her safe, as they live on property.
    As it looks like you already know, the food is great, don't miss the fish and chips........Rudy makes the best rum punch around, and the beach area is nice.....
    Theres usually a volleyball game going that your son might want to get into, and I would suggest to bring floaties, as they have a floating dock, and it's fun to float, or swim out
    and lay on the dock....
    I think you will be just fine...

User Info Menu

Roots Bamboo had completed some major renovations awhile back...they're looking good and yes, they still offer regular weekly shows.

User Info Menu

yeah, i think the thing that's going to be the hardest part is the fact that we will have no choice but to deal with ridiculously loud music at least 3 of the nights we're there.

my kid will love it, i'm sure.

maybe i'll jolly my old lady self into an "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" frame of mind and join the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Roots Bamboo had completed some major renovations awhile back...they're looking good and yes, they still offer regular weekly shows.

User Info Menu

My wife and I have stayed at Alfred's three times the past few years, and it is absolutely our favorite. The rooms are basic, with no TV or phone, and like someone else said no AC, but no problem with the fans. We've always stayed between November and February and it's never been too hot, especially in the evening to morning, when it's hard to get up because the breeze is so nice.

Yes, they still have loud music three nights a week (Tuesday, Friday and Sunday), but as someone mentioned, due to the new noise rules ends about midnight. We're heading to Jamaica next week but not staying at Alfred's, only because we will have our 6 month old baby with us, and he probably won't be able to handle music til midnight. I will say though that I have been able to sleep through the music nights before (although that may have had as much to do with Alfred's rum punch!).

They'll warn you to keep your doors (and outer doors to the decks/mezzanine) locked, but we have always felt completely safe. Everyone is extremely friendly and make you feel so welcome. Good call on the travel safe because they don't have safes in the room, but we bring a PacSafe travel safe (if not the same kind, similar to what you are describing), and that works fine for us.

If you and the family are cool with the basic amenities, then you will love Alfred's. We can't wait to go back and stay again in a few months when we return without the baby, and again when he's old enough to stay.

Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

just wanted to mosey on back to the thread i started...

we're at alfred's right now and our stay has been great. all the info i received here was spot on.

cindy basically told us we could pay whenever- i chose to pay on our second day, the full amount of our stay, in cash and there were no hidden charges or hassles.

our room is clean and i have no worries about the security of our possessions.

my kid is loving it and my husband and i are enjoying ourselves.

i'd definitely stay here again.

User Info Menu

So happy to hear... I knew you would love it ! I think Alfreds is sometimes a forgotten spot that is great to eat and drink, but to stay, and the family is awesome.........actually I think it would be a great place for the boardie bash in April.....( hint...hint...Rob and Lisa

User Info Menu

you were totally right. coming here to eat and hang out is only half the experience. staying here has been pretty damned sweet!

and by the way, i know people on that hotel review website that shall not be named (it starts with a T) love to complain about how crap the alfred's serving staff is, but everyone here has been lovely- quick to ask if we need anything and fast with our check and change.

and i would try my hardest to show up at an alfred's-based boardie bash.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo p View Post
    So happy to hear... I knew you would love it ! I think Alfreds is sometimes a forgotten spot that is great to eat and drink, but to stay, and the family is awesome.........actually I think it would be a great place for the boardie bash in April.....( hint...hint...Rob and Lisa

User Info Menu

Thanks for a good report on Alfred's on a place to stay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

thanks, vince

i meant to add in my update that the music has totally not been an issue for me.

they've stopped using the stage these days and just set the band up in the bar area. we were in an upstairs ocean facing room (room 5) our first couple of days and the music did not sound loud at all up there. then we switched rooms and wound up on the first floor in the room closest to the bar (room 1)- the music went from about 9:30 until about 1am last night, and it was definitely much louder than when we were upstairs, but i just threw in my earbuds and fired up an audiobook and fell asleep in no time.

view from room 5

view from room 1

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Thanks for a good report on Alfred's on a place to stay.