Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: I'm a Negril-er ... but trying Runaway Bay for Family Trip

User Info Menu

Cool I'm a Negril-er ... but trying Runaway Bay for Family Trip

Hey there Boardies..

I've been to Jamaica 8 times (My Happy Place).. Stayed twice in MOBAY- the rest in Negril..
    The past 2 trips have been Family Vacations in which I've introduced my Mom and Kids (age 12 and 23) to Negril. (They Love it by the way- Had no doubts about that)..
    Mom wants to try out the Jewel Runaway Bay(Already booked). It is MUCH more budget friendy than Beaches for the family and the reviews are excellent.- (We've already stayed at both RIU's in Negril).She is still very much an AI person(I'm working on it ). Looks like My Son will love it but the question is will I?
    I love Negril because I can do a whole lotta nothin' or a whole lotta somethin' ..lol, I can hop a red plate anywhere, and the beach is a no brainer as I am a water/ocean baby.
    Has anyone stayed in Runaway bay? How do you compare to Negril.?

THanks

"Live for today as tomorrow is not promised" Live....Love....Laugh....

User Info Menu

Re: I'm a Negril-er ... but trying Runaway Bay for Family Trip

Stayed in Runaway Bay for the second time about 7 years ago. Wanted to try it again, it was the destination for our very first Jamaica visit in 1988. Most of the island was flattened at that time by hurricane Gilbert. It is nothing like Negril. There is a good size public beach, but nothing like the 7 mile in Negril. It is close to Ocho and Dunns Falls, and I would definitely take a trip to Nine Mile while you are there. Plenty of other excursions to check out also. Rafting the Martha Brae, check out the caves, and some fun local bars.
    Here is a pic of the public beachName:  Photo  1276.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  94.1 KB

User Info Menu

Look into Decameron Club Caribbean. Half hour from Mystic Mtn.which has zip line and bobsled.

User Info Menu

Be sure to get an excursion to Noel Coward's Firefly Estate. A real look back in time.

The house:

Name:  Noel  Cowards House .jpg
Views: 380
Size:  97.4 KB

The View:

Name:  View From the House.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  96.9 KB

User Info Menu

When my wife and I travel as a couple we are more often in Negril that any other part of Jamaica, but we have been to the north coast many times. We visited Jewel Runaway Bay without kids when it was JamaicaJamaica (late 80's), several times when it was called Breezes Runaway Bay. Since Jewel took over we have been twice with our kids (teens) and we all loved it. No matter where you go with kids it's a different sort of vacation that what you'll have without kids, but it's a very nice resort. It is located on what I think is the nicest piece of beach on the north coast, far better than most of the others we have seen on that side of the island. The small reef just literally a few feet off the beach is a great place to see some fish with a mask and snorkel, especially if you bring some bread to feed them. We spent time there every day. The tennis program is well run and we all enjoyed that a great deal too. We like the food and rooms just fine. The manager, Scott Robbins, is very good at what he does and he is the most approachable and friendly GM I have encountered at any of the larger A-I resorts we have been too. A friendly and visible manager is something we all come to expect at smaller non-A-I hotels in Negril, but he is notable for that compared the the other GM's at larger resorts in my view. There is a lot to do, plus decent entertainment, and a nightclub (not a great night club), but plenty to keep us busy and happy. Vacationing there puts in a good position to enjoy Dunn's River Falls and we enjoy getting out of whatever hotel we are staying at so when in that area Scotchies is a must for lunch one day.
    The water park is popular and I usually play golf right across the street at least once or twice while there. We would go back for sure. We have taken our kids to all three Beaches Resorts in Jamaica (when there were 3 that is...) to Riu Tropical Bay, and a few others and we feel Jewel Runaway Bay was a great vacation for the price. If you see Scott Robbins (and you should make a point of making contact... great guy!) please tell him that Roy and his family from Virginia send their regards! Also... get some eggs cooked to order by EggBoy at breakfast... he has an amazing geographic ability... you'll have to experience that for yourself to know what I mean.
    Have a great trip!
    Roy

User Info Menu

stayed there our first two trips to JA back in 1997 and 1998 was a Breezes property at that time. Not much to do offsite locally but some tourist things toward Ochi. If you are a golfer, which we were, there is a golf course right across the street which is about average for a carribean course. As I recall it, if you snorkel right off short there was like a cavern a short ways out that was cool to explore.