Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Police Shakedown on Beach Patty Man and Jerk Pork Man

User Info Menu

Re: Police Shakedown on Beach Patty Man and Jerk Pork Man

That is sad. I have bought many a pattie from norman. One thing i always loved about negril is that you can buy just about anything without ever leaving your beach chair. Years ago when the beach wasnt lined with restruants and bars all the beach vendors were providing a much needed service. Now some are still providing those services trying to scratch out a living. That is part of Negrils charm that so many of us have grown to love. I hope they can find a way to allow people like norman to continue to make a living on the beach. I always pay for my newspaper a week at a time and if i am not there when he comes by its always dropped off with someone who works where i stay. Its things like that that keep me coming back. As far as the horses go i would love to see them dissapear into one of the beautyfull sunsets and never return

User Info Menu

never seen the horses till the last few years over by Sun Beach....
    however people love to get up on the horses and get der pic taken....
    mi sure most travelers don't know der illegal on the beach.......

mi noticed a real down tick in the walking vendors on the beach....
    mi haven't been able to buy a Beef Pattie all Winter.....or ice cream.....ugh

unfortunately mi haven't seen a down tick in the RentaDreads/Gigolos....never seen so many...
    and some are very rude to the travelers visiting Negril......dem way too aggressive...
    mi counted 10 trying to talk to 6 female travelers a couple Sundays ago at Sun Beach.....

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

Administrator

User Info Menu

That is strange, we've gotten patties from Norman on almost all our beach visits so far this season. But you did have to time it right and catch Norman on his way up the beach. He had sold out by the time he was making his way back.

As for the gigalos and hookers, the demand has always set the supply for the world's oldest profession...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I love Norman's patties. I hope they can sort this out. As for harassing tourists, I !NEVER seen either man do this
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

I had no trouble getting patties from Norman at any time of afternoon. Not had a chance to get pork from Dean yet. I will advise if I see them on beach today as I hope. Thanks for great responses from Rob and all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I love Norman's patties. I hope they can sort this out. As for harassing tourists, I !NEVER seen either man do this
    They never harass anyone. People come to them!
    Also hoping best for Cortis the fruit lady (we love to cut up and eat the tomatoes and papayas on the raft), and for the ice cream man (had good coffee run cream ice cream early yesterday).
    Last edited by frankk; 02-16-2017 at 08:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankk View Post
    Also hoping best for Cortis the fruit lady (we love to cut up and eat the tomatoes and papayas on the raft), and for the ice cream man (had good coffee run cream ice cream early yesterday).
    It is just the way things work. If you want to stop people from harassing tourists then you have to make laws that everyone has to follow. If you want vendors licensed, then you have to make everyone get a license. You just can't "cherry pick" the ones out that you don't want to have to follow rules and laws.

I think that in the long run everyone will like it more when some order is imposed on the system.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankk View Post
    This has nothing to do with whether Norman, Dean, Cortis, etc. ever harassed anyone, it has to do with the enforcement of new laws to address the complaints from tourists about harassment.

To serve food, your facilities need to be inspected and approved for the restaurant license. In addition, each person who handles the food has to have a food handlers license. Since these vendors do not have physical locations, they cannot even apply for a license.

While Norman and I talked, the idea of a small "restaurant/bakery" that only offered delivery services came to mind. This will be one of the ideas that he will present to the authorities.

But because of the new tourist harassment laws, being an unlicensed vendor of any kind makes you illegal. The law is written to prohibit this activity and does not single out individual people, nor does it exclude individual people.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I love getting patties and stuff on the beach, so to possibly seeing that come to an end is kind of sad. I know you can get them at other places, but I loved the fact that you didn't have to leave your chair. Does Norman make his own patties, or does he get them from somewhere like Out of Town bakery? Maybe he could work out some kind of deal with someone and basically become their delivery man...

User Info Menu

The part i find funny is thats its not people like norman who are harrassing tourists and yet they seem to be paying the price. I agree with the licensing part and if you are selling food it should be safe to eat and somehow inspected and they should find a way to let people like norman continue to do what they have been doing for years