Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Police Shakedown on Beach Patty Man and Jerk Pork Man

User Info Menu

Re: Police Shakedown on Beach Patty Man and Jerk Pork Man

So is all vending on the beach now illegal?

No juice?
    No check out my handiwork, my wood carving?
    No aloe?
    No bracelets?
    etc.?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irieonline View Post
    The part i find funny is thats its not people like norman who are harrassing tourists and yet they seem to be paying the price. I agree with the licensing part and if you are selling food it should be safe to eat and somehow inspected and they should find a way to let people like norman continue to do what they have been doing for years
    Unfortunately, there lies the rub. We all appreciate and respect the value of responsible food safety and to accomplish that laws need to be put in place. And when those laws are enforced, some get caught in the middle.

Norman, Dean, et al, will need to come up with a new business model as Norman and I have been discussing for months.

This was inevitable. You can't have it both ways.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JahCruiser View Post
    So is all vending on the beach now illegal?

No juice?
    No check out my handiwork, my wood carving?
    No aloe?
    No bracelets?
    etc.?
    No, there is legal vending on the beach. And this is not new, illegal vendors have been busted since my first visit. But there is more enforcement because of the new tourist harassment laws.

The legal vendors have their appropriate permits. There is a baked goods vendor who has his tag (lanyard) for all to see. I do not know of any legal juice vendors and I have unfortunately known many a visitor getting sick from bad juice. Same with the lobster vendors selling from a cardboard box. Not the best dining choice in the world.

There are legal carving and craft vendors. All the above mentioned legal vendors have to take a JTB course on the tourism industry as well as obtaining their license.

This is also part of the guidelines required by the IMF in order for the government to collect more taxes so that the IMF can be paid back.

This can be a rather complex topic.

User Info Menu

I pray that someone with money does not buy up all the vending licenses and subcontract them out, thus driving the little guys out of business. Sad, but that seems to be the way these thing end up working out once government regulations come into play.

User Info Menu

I really hope Dean can get it sorted out. I don't know Norman as I get my patties and coco bread from Anthony.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by halfwaytree View Post
    I pray that someone with money does not buy up all the vending licenses and subcontract them out, thus driving the little guys out of business. Sad, but that seems to be the way these thing end up working out once government regulations come into play.
    From what I have read on the lanyards, they are issued to a specific person at a specific business. As with the JTA (Transport Authority) you can only purchase as many permits as you have PPV vehicles.

And you cannot get the permit without attending the JTB classes, so I am not sure how anyone could "buy" them all up.

User Info Menu

I really hope the police do a shakedown on Ringman the man that drags dogs down the beach by a telephone cord . He works in front of Couples Swept Away resort. People have been posting pictures of him on other sites with the dogs he abuses . Its a tragedy that he is allowed to be aggressive to animals & the people that walk the beach. How many years will this continue .

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lathomas View Post
    I really hope the police do a shakedown on Ringman the man that drags dogs down the beach by a telephone cord . He works in front of Couples Swept Away resort. People have been posting pictures of him on other sites with the dogs he abuses . Its a tragedy that he is allowed to be aggressive to animals & the people that walk the beach. How many years will this continue .
    We haven't seen any animals with him for the longest time. So no worries, the answer to the number of years will this continue is zero...

He got berated by more people than I can count, both locals and visitors alike.

User Info Menu

Ringman had a mother dog and 2 puppies in January when we were at IA

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JahCruiser View Post
    Ringman had a mother dog and 2 puppies in January when we were at IA
    Saw him January and February "dogless". I hope you said something to him when you saw him abusing the dogs.