Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Police Shakedown on Beach Patty Man and Jerk Pork Man

User Info Menu

Re: Police Shakedown on Beach Patty Man and Jerk Pork Man

Hardworking for sure. They get up very early and make what they sell, then travel from thier homes and walk th beach all day and then go home and take care of what needs to be done there and then do it all over again day after day for years. Its amazing when i think of how many years some beach vendors have been doing what they do to make a living. I always support them when i can and i love talking to them when they have time. There was a guy who used to walk up and down the beach with a sack over his shoulder and collect beer bottles. He always had an old ripper tshirt on and every year i gave him a new tshirt and once a nice dress shirt. Never saw him wearing the shirts i bought him, just an old ripped shirt but i know he appreciated the gifts and i always would bring him to my room and give him all the bottles on my porch.

User Info Menu

just curious, I notice on a lot of bars that have a sign hanging out front that reads some thing like It is our intention to apply... regarding licensing of alcohol. I always find those signs amusing.
    what do they actually mean?

The CHICKSTER

tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/7;10731;405/st/20140421/e/Negril/k/19ca/event.png[/img]

User Info Menu

Good question and i have always wondered that myself. Its always been my understanding that things move very slowly in jamaica and it taks a long time to get the proper license to sell alcohol so in he meantime while they are waiting they must display a sign saying they have applied or intend to apply so that they can sell alcohol. Not sure of the laws there regarding the sale of beer and alcohol and always wondered if the people who sold beer out of coolers on the beach or the beach road were breaking any laws

User Info Menu

Norman and Dean should post something similar until this whole thing gets figured out.

The CHICKSTER

tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/7;10731;405/st/20140421/e/Negril/k/19ca/event.png[/img]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chickster View Post
    Norman and Dean should post something similar until this whole thing gets figured out.
    A spirits license is not the same as a food vendor's license (I believe). The spirits license is more about controlling the age of consumers and taxation. The food vendor's license is more about sanitary conditions. They must have that food vendor's license to do any business.
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

Administrator

User Info Menu

just curious, I notice on a lot of bars that have a sign hanging out front that reads some thing like It is our intention to apply... regarding licensing of alcohol. I always find those signs amusing.
    what do they actually mean?
    The signs are essentially amusing and left in place because years ago tourists began taking pictures of them. Roy at Café Goa has even had one painted that says he is applying for a ganja license.

The signs are not meant to be a "temporary" permit, but are used to notify the neighbors and neighboring businesses of the INTENTION of this business to have future sales of liquor and spirits. Should anyone have an objection, they can air it at the next meeting. If there are no objections, then the license is usually granted. The signs are now left up as a tourist attraction.

The signs have no legal standing at all.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The signs are essentially amusing and left in place because years ago tourists began taking pictures of them. Roy at Café Goa has even had one painted that says he is applying for a ganja license.

The signs are not meant to be a "temporary" permit, but are used to notify the neighbors and neighboring businesses of the INTENTION of this business to have future sales of liquor and spirits. Should anyone have an objection, they can air it at the next meeting. If there are no objections, then the license is usually granted. The signs are now left up as a tourist attraction.

The signs have no legal standing at all.
    Aw man, bummer... I totally bought into this one.
    I'm usually pretty good at picking up on these things, I knew the GOA one was a joke.

Administrator

User Info Menu

MikeyNYC,

You are not the only one who thought that, this an article in the Gleaner from 2015 talking about a crackdown in Kingston.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...hops-operating
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

More signs for the tourists to take pictures of.

Name:  DSC05869 [800x600].jpg
Views: 548
Size:  57.3 KB

User Info Menu

Just got back on Tuesday, and there was alot of police activity it seemed everywhere I went and it started with my ride from the airport to Negril it seemed every few miles cars were pulled over and then ours what a great start! I then saw them throughout the week at (Jungle, Alfred's, Roots, Beach, Chicken roadside) they seemed to be everywhere which wasn't a problem for me I felt safe but also curious why they are appearing more then before...? One night we went to Alfred's and they were there and you could feel the tension, no band playing a few folks sitting around the bartenders huffing, puffin and whispering customers just sitting looking around confused not much action...lol...The moment they left, out of nowhere the place was packed the band set up and it was all gud within a matter of minutes...It's a different vibe when they are around which is expected if you're up to sumting!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home"
    Drink Eat be IRIE!