Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Sammy Jackson

User Info Menu

Sammy Jackson

I stayed with Sammy back
    In the late 70's . Wonderful man . No electricity , cold running water, let us camp in his back yard. On the West End Cliffs . I wonder if any of you old timers remember him and what has become of him and his place .I've been back twice but never have been able to locate exactly where his place was . Seems it was about a Mike or so to Rick's which had recently opened . Long walks in the pitch black home at night. Lived off Jenny's Cakes which was nearby . I took my wife and daughters back 4 years ago with some pics and never could really get any info. Stayed at Catcha so I had to be close by. Was thinking maybe it was near the Blue Castle place . Anyone out there remember ?

User Info Menu

Re: Sammy Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegger View Post
    I stayed with Sammy back
    In the late 70's . Wonderful man . No electricity , cold running water, let us camp in his back yard. On the West End Cliffs . I wonder if any of you old timers remember him and what has become of him and his place .I've been back twice but never have been able to locate exactly where his place was . Seems it was about a Mike or so to Rick's which had recently opened . Long walks in the pitch black home at night. Lived off Jenny's Cakes which was nearby . I took my wife and daughters back 4 years ago with some pics and never could really get any info. Stayed at Catcha so I had to be close by. Was thinking maybe it was near the Blue Castle place . Anyone out there remember ?
    My guess is that if you stop by Jenny's/C&D bar Connie the owner can fill you in. Her place is located on the Jackson yard with her brother Tayon's place as well as a couple of other buildings. She still has the Jenny cakes going and has all sorts of great comfort food to serve as well.

User Info Menu

I remember Sammy Jackson's yard very well, what a great man! He died a number of years ago at a very old age. I never stayed there but had friends who were there and frequented the yard often (1973,1974). I can picture the road way back in those times (I walked it enough!!) when to see a car driving on the road was a once or twice a day event at the most. I know what you mean though, about trying to figure out where some of the old places used to be. I am pretty sure that his yard and campground was "a couple of blocks" before Blue Horizon, and maybe across the road from New Moon Cottages and LaMar rooms and cottages. This long ago post on this board mentions Sammy Jackson:
    http://www.negril.com/discus/message...41/237480.html

User Info Menu

Name:  IMG_2223.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  96.8 KBName:  IMG_2227.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  97.1 KB
    I finally returned to Sammy Jackson's. Finding it again was a labor of love . Across from the New Moon Cottages, it is a vacant lot. Sammy was a great friend to many travelers. RIP my friend.