Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hey-mon did you make it back to TB??

User Info Menu

Re: hey-mon did you make it back to TB??

Quote Originally Posted by Rumghoul View Post
    We did not find it (but weren't really looking). Is it the stairway at the far end of Great Bay? I saw some stairs and a wooden rail but didn't check it out.
    That's the one! You can see it in the above pic's. It's a very cool little hike, not very long though. If you're a bit adventurous, you can climb up to the very top but there's no real trail after a certain point. Another good one is to hike down the trail at Lovers Leap, but get there real early and bring lots of water.

User Info Menu

<3 <3 <3 to all of these photos!

User Info Menu

ohliz,

Some familiar sights in TB. Enjoy!!

Name:  Relaxing.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  93.7 KBName:  Appleton.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  91.8 KBName:  Cool Spot.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  90.7 KBName:  Frenchman's Bay.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  91.6 KBName:  Jack Sprat Beach.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  91.3 KB[ATTACH=CONFIG]Name:  Jake's.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  93.0 KB

User Info Menu

Beautiful, thank you John!

That looks like Jack Sprat beach second-from-last. I never swim there...how is it?

User Info Menu

ohliz,

Thanks for your compliment!! Yes that is the beach in front of Jack Sprat. As is all along Treasure Beach one has to take care while swimming because of possible under currents but this beach seemed quite nice and safe.
    Last edited by johng; 04-19-2017 at 07:06 AM.

User Info Menu

I know everyone says that and I'm sure it's true - I know people have drowned - but I've swum on every beach from Great Bay to Billy's Bay (except that one by Jack Sprat lol), and even with big waves, no problem. Often it's like a bathtub.

I do swim well and grew up on the east coast - beaches on Long Island, Cape Cod, etc - much much stronger undertows and waves than JA.

User Info Menu

ohliz,

You have experience swimming that many visitors to JA do not. I remember a few years ago a child drowned right down the beach from Sunset Resort. I don't know any circumstances but do know that swimming in Treasure Beach is a lot more challenging than say Negril.

My best advice is always swim with a partner and always be prepared for the worst. Another time and place to be sober!!
    Last edited by johng; 04-22-2017 at 11:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I'd agree with johng, though I have swam in several spots in and around TB. You have to learn to read the water, and the shoreline to spot rip currents. There are at least two places on Frenchman's that have a nasty rip, and it gets worse with weather and incoming/outgoing tides. Avoid sections where the beach comes to a point. Watch where the waves break, and avoid the areas immediately to either side. Usually you will see sand and silt stirred up and being pulled out to sea, definitely avoid those spots.

User Info Menu

Hey_Mon
    We are think about Villa Optima winter 2018. You said the walk is 45 min to what looks like one of the furthest places. Is this along a rode or the beach? Just a couple more questions: Can you walk the along the water very far or does it turn rocky. How far is Jack's? I've been looking at maps and that seems to be a center point. We really love Negril but want a more slow paced quieter area and think Treasure Bay is just what we are looking for. I just love walking so want to be able to still do that. Meaning traffic wise or to many rocky areas on beach.

Thanks

User Info Menu

There is no traffic in Treasure Beach. You can walk the beach from Calabash Bay to the Old Warf area, that can be an hour walk. There are some nice swimming coves. From Frenchmens Bay you walk the road west to Billys Bay where you can walk a good distance on the beach.