Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for First Time Non AI-er

User Info Menu

Advice for First Time Non AI-er

Hello all,

First time poster, long time lurker here needing some advice! We made our first trip to Negril last August (CSA) and fell in love, and I have convinced my husband that we can go non-AI and save money, eat better, and drink enough. So the plan is to stay 3 nights at Catcha Falling Star and 4 nights at Coco La Palm.

I have several questions....

1. I reserved Sky at Catcha yesterday through their website, and after reserving I also sent an email (stay@catchajamaica.com) requesting a confirmation. Up to this point I haven't received any notification from them, BUT I did check the availability for Sky and it is now unavailable. For those of you who have reserved directly with them, is this normal and about when can I expect a response? I understand that they probably do things a little differently!

2. We really wanted to book Libra, but someone snapped it up over the weekend so I went with my second choice Sky. Now I'm torn between that and Coral. Do they both have hammocks? Does anyone have any experience staying in both? I'm just trying to decide between the convenience of the ground floor of Coral and the amazing view of Sky!

3. On our last trip, we went on the One Love Pub Crawl. We really liked a little place on the West End that was closer to the water, with a bunch of stuff hanging from the ceiling. It also had some rustic concrete-ish bathrooms with shower curtains for doors. I read somewhere that it's called 'Sunset Bar.' Do I have the name right, and where is it located?

4. Transfer Driver suggestions would be much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Re: Advice for First Time Non AI-er

Quote Originally Posted by RoxGirl View Post

I suggest Linston. Check his reviews

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

3. On our last trip, we went on the One Love Pub Crawl. We really liked a little place on the West End that was closer to the water, with a bunch of stuff hanging from the ceiling. It also had some rustic concrete-ish bathrooms with shower curtains for doors. I read somewhere that it's called 'Sunset Bar.' Do I have the name right, and where is it located?

3. The bar is called Sunset Pub and it's located in the deep West End...past the Lighthouse, past Out of Town Pastry and going along the road closest to the sea...up past Hide Awhile Resort and near Tingalaya's Retreat.

4. Along with already mentioned...many great drivers to choose from at the link below...
    http://negril.com/transport/

And...Roxgirl...good for you for stepping out of the AI. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an AI stay, but there are so many interesting places to eat, drink and visit in Negril, you'll surely have a blast here.
    Last edited by Bnewb; 03-14-2017 at 04:55 PM.

User Info Menu

We have stayed at Catcha (last time in February) and also at Cocolapalm. You can try emailing again or call them directly and speak to Mauvette. They are all wonderful there!!! You won't go wrong with either room but the upper levels do give a gorgeous view Have a wonderful time and embrace the opportunity to eat and many great local places.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for the help everyone! I did get an email confirmation about 2 hours after my post so all is good! I'll check out the transfer reviews ASAP.

User Info Menu

Check out Luxurious Carib Tours

Email: Luxuriouscaribtours@gmail.com
    Call: 876-798-8382 or 876-816-6503
    Click here for TripAdvisor Review

Luxurious Carib Tours Jamaica
    Negril, Jamaica
    Cell 1: +1876-798-8382
    Email: luxuriouscaribtours@gmail.com

User Info Menu

Check out Pryce's Taxi - we have used them many times - always on time and reasonable

User Info Menu

We use Ashton Pitt, great guy, very safe and knowledgeable.

User Info Menu

RoxGirl:

I think you are making a great choice. For our first trip to Negril in 2012 we split time between Couples Negril and Catcha and, despite returning to Negril every year since, have avoided the AI's. We typically split our time between Coco (for a brief taste of the beach), Catcha and Rockhouse - and will be doing that again in two weeks.

At Catcha, Coral is our favorite, but we booked late and are staying in Sky this year. The front porch at Coral is convenient and perfect for entertaining guests for a nightcap or morning coffee. Sky is essentially the same room, but the balcony is only accessible through the bedroom, which I find to be drawback. I don't believe that either room has a hammock. Both have a table and chairs and a couch. Coral has a larger porch, which wraps around the side and also has two chaise lounges. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Ace. For the time being, I think we're going to stay with Sky, and we'll just plan on coming back!