Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shanty Town

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Shanty Town

Quote Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
    Attachment 47752

I believe this is one of the bars in "shanty town". And I think part of the reason some are uncomfortable in this area, the large amount of young children begging, some pushing those damn bracelets.
    Bars like that are some of my favorite across the island! You know the old saying, don't judge a book by its cover... (grin)
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Different strokes for different folks ....
    I for one have not & will not ever go on the One Love Pub Crawl
    Not our style ... but, others love the vibe & that's cool
    - who am I to judge how & what you like to do on your vacation
    I do have to ask ...I assume that the word " Shanty town " is Jamaican slang for - ghetto
    & I also assume that nobody really likes the area you live in to be called a ghetto/ Shanty town ..

BTW - we eat/drink @ any establishment.. ..judge not ... Cheers

User Info Menu

A shanty town or squatter area is a settlement of improvised housing, called shanties or shacks, made of plywood, corrugated metal, sheets of plastic, and cardboard boxes. Such settlements are usually found on the periphery of cities, in public parks, or near railroad tracks, rivers, lagoons or city trash dump sites. Sometimes called a squatter, informal or spontaneous settlement, a typical shanty town often lacks proper sanitation, safe water supply, electricity, hygienic streets, or other basic human necessities.

User Info Menu

Thanks Lisa for separating my post. Didn't mean to Hijack RocknRollFarmer's trip report.

Also, thanks Rob & Lisa for clearing things up. I thought "Shanty Town" might be a new Negril attraction I was missing out on. (Welcome to Shanty Town®! Where you can enjoy a drink with REAL Jamaicans!)

I agree that the TA forums are a mess. I sometimes read it when I get bored, but have to restrain myself from posting and getting caught up in that BS. Don't know why anyone would go there for good Negril information, unless you wanted to know which RIU has a better breakfast buffet.
    Last edited by Mike_D; 03-17-2017 at 07:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Stops like that are the best part of the bus, for me anyway. Getting to see places I probably wouldn't stumble to on my own. The kids are also part of the fun of it as well. We usually bring some soccer balls or other sports stuff to give away and get to play a little impromptu game at a few of the stops. Lucked out this year and found a hell of a deal on soccer balls, so we'll be bringing about a dozen or so. Can't exactly kick around a ball at Xtabi or the like.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerms View Post
    Stops like that are the best part of the bus, for me anyway. Getting to see places I probably wouldn't stumble to on my own. The kids are also part of the fun of it as well. We usually bring some soccer balls or other sports stuff to give away and get to play a little impromptu game at a few of the stops. Lucked out this year and found a hell of a deal on soccer balls, so we'll be bringing about a dozen or so. Can't exactly kick around a ball at Xtabi or the like.
    Right on Jerms! Also, Dr Feelgood (located right across from Negril Escape) runs a soccer (football) league for the area youth. The field is behind his stand and the Central Park area. In this photo, you can see an advertisement for the league painted on the wall behind me. Dr. Feelgood accepts donations of soccer supplies to help run the league. I have also given cash donations in the past.
    Name:  Negril.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  36.5 KB

User Info Menu

Mi love some Shanty /Ghetto places.

Funny, there is no trouble at all in those places for a visitor.
    Also, you can eat like a King once you get to know the Mom's.

User Info Menu

some call the Love Lane area the "Village" while others have other names like Lemberts "Shanty Town"...
    mi had a board house back in 1997 at the very top of "Village" or "Shanty Town".......
    soon after mi started staying at mi board house...they put in the water road that goes from Summerset Lane to Seastar Lane.....
    and then this Love Lane all started on captured land by squatters by people putting up board houses......
    then came some of the concrete houses that mi wi have now.....but this land is all government land
    back around the late 90's there were only about a half dozen houses including mine.......
    every year since then.....more and more houses have appeared..and bars etc....considering nobody owns the land
    the "Village" and or "Shanty Town" is pretty civil......and very few problems that mi know of
    hey the Jamaicans need a place to live in Negril like many areas across Jamaica and this fit the bill for many Jamaicans...

mi don't have the cottage anymore however mi know a lot of the original squatters......

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Harry, is this the place across SeaStar Lane directly across from Seastar Inn back in the Fisherman's village. This looks like my buddy Duce Blanc's shop?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Harry, is this the place across SeaStar Lane directly across from Seastar Inn back in the Fisherman's village. This looks like my buddy Duce Blanc's shop?
    I'm pretty sure it is. Was drinking (pub crawl after all) so can't say 100%.

I enjoyed a couple beers there. I'd go back when not on the tour so as not to be a target. Not a whole lot different than going to say, Collettes.

Having little kids sent by the parents to pull on the heartstrings of tourists for a cash handout is not cool, and begging is probably not a great lesson to learn at such a young age. We're not talking one or two... we're talking more than a dozen young children, and slightly older ones selling bracelets.

Why not have them sell something useful? Snacks on a pub crawl? Hells yes! How many bags of chips or cookies or candy bars do you think they could have sold, and actually earned the money, and learned a much more positive lesson?

I also wanted to state that I know that this area is not a shanty town - hence my use of quotes in my original post on the subject.
    Last edited by HarryS; 03-17-2017 at 10:31 PM.